What kind of driver are you?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

What kind of driver are you and do you tailgate? (tailgating defined in thread)

I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive the speed limit and I don't tailgate
10%
I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive the speed limit and I do tailgate
1%
I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive 5 mph above the speed limit and I don't tailgate
34%
I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive 5 mph above the speed limit and I do tailgate
3%
I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive 10+ mph above the speed limit and I don't tailgate
37%
I'm an AMAZING driver, I drive 10+ mph above the speed limit and I do tailgate
15%

Total votes: 108

Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

What kind of driver are you?

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Question off the "Fucking Asshole" thread.

Tailgating = if you get angry, or if someone is going slow, you might ride their ass just a bit, meaning 1 or less than 1 car length in order to try to get them to change lanes or speed up.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I've been wanting an "I brake for tailgaters" bumper sticker for years. Fucking assholes.

There's the jackasses on the road every morning, driving fast, frequently changing lanes, etc.. They've no clue that on a drive under 200 or so miles, they aren't getting anyplace any faster than people who're driving safely. They will be first to the traffic jam, stop light, ticket or in an accident though. Reagrdless of how good a driver they perceive themselves to be.

When someone gets close for more than a few seconds, I'll usually slow down and encourage them to change lanes. I've got a heavy duty bumper and class IV hitch on my truck, it's not like they're going to do me any damage. When I had my old truck, I'd occasionally lock up the brakes in the middle of the road when people were being assholes. In non-traffic situtations of course.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

For some reason unbeknownst to me...I seem to turn into Tony Soprano when I get behind the wheel. I suspect it may have to do with the insane amount of asshats on the road...

Here are the things YOU other drivers do that get me swearing and hand gesturing:

1. Failing to use your turn signal
2. Driving 10 MPH under the speed limit in the city...and me noticing you are on the cell phone.
3. Sitting at the light for 10 seconds after it turns green...and me noticing you are on the cell phone.
4. You deciding that you need to cut me off and get in front of me so you can make a turn as soon as you get in front of me...without using your turn signal...and me noticing you are on the cell phone.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

hahaha Moonwynd
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

I'll drive fast if I can, but I don't tailgate. If someone is going slower in front of me, I use other friendly signals. IE: Flash lights, etc.

One time I was travelling an 8 hour trip and I was following a friend who knew the way. Well this guy (who I was following) had gotten up ahead a bit and the guy in front of me was slow so I flashed him a couple times. Well the third time I did it, he stomped on the breaks!!! I don't understand people sometimes...I thought that flashing was the generally accepted signal "Please move over so I can go." Not, "Please be an asshole, and stomp on the breaks." I did manage to swerve around him...
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

One thing that truly aggravates me is when I pass someone on a two-lane road with clear visibility.... and they get upset, turn their highbeams on, and accelerate to tailgate ME! Hey asshole, if you were comfortable going faster in the first place, I wouldn't have passed you!

Passing someone is not an aggressive manuever. It's a 'cya later' manuever that solves both parties problems. I don't want you in front of me, and you don't want me on your ass.

This happened recently, and I take it as a threat. My response to this is to accelerate more... I was able to pass another car, which stopped the offending asshole.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I try not to piss anyone off senselessly when I drive. Although - unless I'm in a cop speed trap area, I do drive about 10 mph above the speedlimit.
Moonwynd wrote:1. Failing to use your turn signal
Do people have to use their turn signal when in a turn lane? I find that to be the stupidest things drivers do. You are in a designated turn lane to turn a certain way, and yet people keep their signals on... it baffles me.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

Thess wrote: Do people have to use their turn signal when in a turn lane?

Cops can ticket for it in Washington, I imagine other states are the same.

It doesnt seem that far fetched to me. People are retarded on the road and I've seen more redundant laws to try to foolproof them.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's better to overblink than to underblink!

Just remember to turn off your blinky. That's so annoying being behind someone who has their left turn signal on for 10 miles.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Blinkers are on a need to know basis. If I'm going to slow you down or cross your path, I'll use a blinker.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I usually speed, except in school zones and shit like that. I try not to tailgate, but if some stupid tourist is gawking at the scenic asphalt or whatever, I will get on their ass.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Thess wrote: Do people have to use their turn signal when in a turn lane? I find that to be the stupidest things drivers do. You are in a designated turn lane to turn a certain way, and yet people keep their signals on... it baffles me.
I've ingrained it so much as habit that I have been known to use turn signals in driveways and around some curves. It's kinda a declaration of intent...
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

masteen wrote:but if some stupid tourist is gawking at the scenic asphalt or whatever, I will get on their ass.
That's one of the things that pisses me off. There's a major 5 lane highway that goes north and south county here. (It's the only efficient way to get places.) But traffic will come to a crawl if someone is changing their tire or something...
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

if you took me for serious about bumping you for going too slow you are the dimwit ASSlana.

if i am on the freeway and someone wants infront of me and they use their blinker, i will go out of my way to let them in 100% of the time. i don't care if i am running late or the have a john kerry bumper sticker i have manners on the road. i leave enough room to avoid a collision but i will pass you on the right in a heartbeat if you don't have the courtesy to get the hell out of my way.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

nobody wrote:if you took me for serious about bumping you for going too slow you are the dimwit ASSlana.
OMG so clever and funny! Guess I've been pwned.

Welcome to 5 years ago.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The only time I don't blink is if there's no traffic or on an obvious merge. If it's an onramp/offramp that doesn't merge, I blink!

It's a manual blink though! I just hold it down so it flashes once, maybe twice at the most. It would be nerdy to actually click the blinker into place on a lane change!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I drive exactly like Winnow has been describing.

+5 or so in cities or backroads
+10 or so on highways

I drive in the right lane unless I need to pass. I never stay in the left lane if I'm not actively passing someone. If I need a slow driver to move out of my way, I won't tailgate them but I will flash my high beams (which realistically is only slightly safer).
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

saying something is so 5 years ago is SO 5 years ago btw.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Lohrno wrote:
Thess wrote: Do people have to use their turn signal when in a turn lane? I find that to be the stupidest things drivers do. You are in a designated turn lane to turn a certain way, and yet people keep their signals on... it baffles me.
I've ingrained it so much as habit that I have been known to use turn signals in driveways and around some curves. It's kinda a declaration of intent...
Same here. I just have a habit of hitting the turn signal whenever I turn the wheel a given amount. I've accidently used it pulling out of my driveway and sharp turns as well, heh. I don't see anything stupid about it; it's just as much a habit as buckling my seatbelt when I get in my car.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

nobody wrote:saying something is so 5 years ago is SO 5 years ago btw.
Problem is, that's not a quip, it's the sad truth. You regurgitated a slice of wit that is in excess of 5 years of age.

and it has never been remotely cutting since it's inception. grats you
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I can say it easily, that I am an asshole driver.

I tailgate here and there, not often, my friends say I do, but I don't call two car lengths tail gating.

On highways, I typically go between 80 and 90. I stay in the left lane, unless some asshole is going 70, where I weave in and out of traffic until I get to my desired speed.

On local roads, I typically go 40-45 in a 35, mostly don't go under 40 at all for the most part. But I live in the suburbs, much different from the city.

When I have to drive in city like environment, I rarely exceed the speed limit, and thats if I'm lucky.

I don't cut people off, but I do change lanes often, and only if I have a safe amount of room.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Lor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lor »

I'll tailgate if the person (woman :razz: ) in front of me is in the passing lane and going under the posted speed limit, other than that I'm usually in the right hand lane doing about 5 MPH over the limit.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

Chidoro wrote:
Problem is, that's not a quip, it's the sad truth. You regurgitated a slice of wit that is in excess of 5 years of age.

and it has never been remotely cutting since it's inception. grats you
problem is half shit used to make yourself feel "smart" or "witty" in order to put someone down is regurgitated. hell, the word regurgitated itself has been so regurgitaed it makes me want to regurgitate.

خودتان را بگای
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Chidoro, don't waste your time. He is in the same class as Cartalas. Not worth the effort to click the Reply button.

--
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Yet who seems to be doing the actual trolling here?
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

That's quite insulting, really.
Nobody is by far a lesser troll than Cart is - he's actually gone out and made contributing posts intsead of just innane flames and illegable one-liners.

No problem with him here.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Akaran_D wrote: Nobody is by far a lesser troll than Cart is
I haven't really seen him make many troll posts...

Just in case you guys forget a troll is NOT someone who posts useless/silly posts.

A troll is someone who posts insulting posts hoping to get people riled up to respond a lot. 99.9% of Cartalas' posts are trolls. You know, like trolling for fish...

Like if I said, "Cartalas is an awesome poster..." Lots of people would come back and say "No, he's a fucking retard and so are you." That would be trolling.

EDIT: Here's a good example of a troll post.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Don't be so sure. The reason most liberals are liberals is because of their inability to see through the eyes of reason, logic, and common sense.
Notice the lack of backing anything up, and of a point. It would seem the only reason to say something like this would be to piss people off.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Keep in mind though, Lh, is that the people that would call nobody a troll would also (and have before) called me a troll.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

I haven't seen any trolling by you Akaran. Definitely some controversial posts, but I highly doubt they were made to just get a rise out of people. I'm also trying to get the terminoloy right here, because people seem to be misusing it.

Making controversial posts != trolling.

Making useless/silly comments != trolling.

Making said comments just try to get people to respond or piss them off == trolling.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Who said anything about him being a troll? Other than you. Not sure what debating if he is a troll or not is accomplishing but ok.

--
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

By saying he's in the same class as Cart, you are insinuating that he's doing nothing more than trolling.

Afik, we didn't have more than two 'classes' of posters here: contributors and trolls. Granted, you can break down the contributors into dozens of subclasses, but they still contribute to the overall forum integrety.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Aslanna wrote:Who said anything about him being a troll? Other than you. Not sure what debating if he is a troll or not is accomplishing but ok.
Like I said, I'm trying to get the terminology right. You did imply he was a troll and/or as useless as Cart.

So if he's not a troll (nobody), what's your beef with him? Or are you just trolling with no backup to your point or lack thereof?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Akaran_D wrote:By saying he's in the same class as Cart, you are insinuating that he's doing nothing more than trolling.
I think you're jumping to conclusions based on your own interpretations of the previous poster's annotations to their original affirmations.
Akaran_D wrote:Afik, we didn't have more than two 'classes' of posters here: contributors and trolls. Granted, you can break down the contributors into dozens of subclasses, but they still contribute to the overall forum integrety.
What about thread hijackers? Don't forget about them!
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Winnow wrote: What about thread hijackers? Don't forget about them!
It's okay, we have 2 threads dedicated to automotive mayhem...:D Not much was derailed.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

By saying he's in the same class as Cart, you are insinuating that he's doing nothing more than trolling.
Yep. That about sums it up eh?
en kærlighed småkager
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

the main reason behind my post about hitting your bumper was to demonstrate how stupid and self righeous your post about "if you don't like it, too fucking bad." sounded. unfortionately i have to speak to you in a direct, and literal way so that you can understand. kind of like a child perhaps?

about the cartman thing...if you were implying i am narrow minded you couldn't be farther from the truth. i have switched opinions before (ie abortion) and have agreed many times with those on the "other side". i may be an ass sometimes and for that i apologize but this is vv, no? i don't dish out what i can't take. i don't claim to be the brightest star in the sky, far from it, but i try to have a point to most of my posts. even if that point is nothing more than a small bit of humor. there are only two people on vv i truly disdain and one of them thankfully left about six months ago and the other is danish and is smart enough not to post b/c i'm not alone in my opinion about him. ie even though you are an ass i still like you, along with dregor, miir, and many others who many not feel the same way about me.

خودتان را بگای
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Lohrno wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Who said anything about him being a troll? Other than you. Not sure what debating if he is a troll or not is accomplishing but ok.
Like I said, I'm trying to get the terminology right. You did imply he was a troll and/or as useless as Cart.

So if he's not a troll (nobody), what's your beef with him? Or are you just trolling with no backup to your point or lack thereof?
I think you need to backtrack your reading and see who chimed in first with the oh-so-funny name scrabble before you accuse me of trolling.

And no, I did not imply he was a troll. If you took it that way I guess there's nothing I can do about it. I seldom imply anything. If I considered him a troll that's what I would have called him.

--
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Well, me and 2 others seem to agree that that's what it sounded like.

Look I'm not going to tongue his asshole or anything. I think he's a decent guy, but if you want to call him a retard, go ahead. But I think calling him as bad as Cartalas is uncalled for without considerable backup.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lohrno wrote:Well, me and 2 others seem to agree that that's what it sounded like.
That's not even enough people to form a fnord!
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

I chose drive 10 over and do tailgate. Before I get labelled an asshole though let me say that I VERY rarely tailgate. There are only a couple of situations in which I'll tailgate:

1. If someone is going below the speed limit and there's no way for me to get around them I'll sometimes tailgate. Even in this situation I'll very rarely tailgate though. However, just to make this clear, I won't tailgate someone who's going atleast the speed limit just because I want to go faster.

2. If someone pulls out in front of me and cuts me off. I don't really have a temper but I do have a bit of road rage.

As Moonwynd said, seeing someone on a cell phone doing one of these things just makes the rage even worse.

I'm an extremely courteous driver. If I see someone with their turn signal on I'll slow down and let them over, if it's backed up some at a red light and someone is trying to get out of the parking lot, I'll stop and let them out. This shouldn't really be "courteous," it should be what everyone just does.

One thing that's been bugging me as of late is when I turn left and the people next to me are also and they don't realize that they can't go into any lane after the turn. For instance, there'll be 3 lanes. Far left is left turn only, middle is straight or left, far right is straight or right. I'll be in the middle one, turning left onto a 3 lane (just to clarify, that's 3 lanes going one way, 6 total) road, and the people that are turning in the far left hand lane will just assume that they can get into the far right hand lane after the turn. At this point I LOVE to speed up, especially when it's obvious they plan on getting all the way over, just to show them that they can't. Juvenile? Maybe.

On speeding, I usually go about 10 over depending on where I am or what time it is. On the highways in Houston the speed limit is 65 and I average about 75-85 depending on the time of day. On the normal roads I'll go 10 over if I can get away with it. I'm pretty good at spotting police and know the places where they usually watch. I dont speed in neighborhoods or school zones though.

I've only had one warning, no tickets and never been in a wreck *knocks on wood*. Not bad for a 21 year old male...
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Brotha wrote:no tickets and never been in a wreck *knocks on wood*. Not bad for a 21 year old male...
I'm surprised you're 21. Please don't take offense as I don't mean it, but from your posting style I assumed you were like 53 or so.

But yeah, that's about how I drive, except for the tailgating. If I am tailgating, it is probably because I have taken my attention off the road for too long.

PS I'm surprised there's no "I'm a shitty driver." option. Everyone thinks they are an AMAZING driver? =D (Not that I'd pick it or anything. =D)
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

I have such bad road rage, I can't handle people who cut me off only to pull over in front of me and slow down, then I pass them and they do it again...this is how I got my first speeding ticket when I had my camaro and almost lost my license. I ended up completely burning that asshole and left him smelling rubber. Felt nice till the cop finally caught up to me, I so thought I was going to jail.

But yeah, I try to not tail gate, and I'll let people over if they need to get over and have their blinker on, but its the stupid bitches on their cellphones going 10 miles under the posted speedlimit because they are confirming their next booty call that really pisses me off.

I seriously would hate to see the way Akaran drives tho..I wouldn't be surprised if he had a gun hidden in his car somewhere just waiting for the road rage drivers like me *ducks*
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

You need to get Russell Crowe...
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Lynnsie wrote: I seriously would hate to see the way Akaran drives tho..I wouldn't be surprised if he had a gun hidden in his car somewhere just waiting for the road rage drivers like me *ducks*
That's one reason among many to calm yourself...Not that I think Akaran keeps a gun in his glove compartment or anything. (I think he keeps it under the seat...:D)

At least you recognize you have a problem...

I've had several people get pissed at me for no good reason at all, and have given me the finger, etc...
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

The only reason I don't tailgate people is because I'd be pissed if I rear-ended someone. In general I only drive about 5 over in the city or 10ish on the highway due to lack of desire to pay a speeding ticket. However out in the country where I live I'll do 15-20 over since I've seen a grand total of two cops in the last ten years out on my road.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Lynnsie wrote:I have such bad road rage, I can't handle people who cut me off only to pull over in front of me and slow down, then I pass them and they do it again...this is how I got my first speeding ticket when I had my camaro and almost lost my license. I ended up completely burning that asshole and left him smelling rubber. Felt nice till the cop finally caught up to me, I so thought I was going to jail.

But yeah, I try to not tail gate, and I'll let people over if they need to get over and have their blinker on, but its the stupid bitches on their cellphones going 10 miles under the posted speedlimit because they are confirming their next booty call that really pisses me off.

I seriously would hate to see the way Akaran drives tho..I wouldn't be surprised if he had a gun hidden in his car somewhere just waiting for the road rage drivers like me *ducks*
Let me guess...It was the Cop you kept passing wasn't it? :razz:
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Lynnsie wrote:I have such bad road rage, I can't handle people who cut me off only to pull over in front of me and slow down, then I pass them and they do it again
Had a friend once, someone tried this leapfrog crap on him so the 3rd or 4th time they passed he accelerated and held them out in the on-coming lane. Thankfully by the time I knew/travelled with him, he'd grown up.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

I can't believe I forgot about this but that reminds me of a time someone was tailgaiting me. Long story short, some asshole was inches from my bumber as I was accelerating onto the freeway from an onramp. Because I was accelerating trying to cheer him up and get him off my ass my speed was incongruant with the flow of traffic and space was running out. Therefore I applied my brakes ever so slightly to try to match traffic and merge. This asshole who two seconds before my brake tap and cut to the left to pass on the shoulder decided he didn't have enough room and swung right behind me again just in time to see red. He slammed on his brakes, lost control, fishtailed, and sideswiped the wall on the left. He then bounced off the wall, spun a full 360, bounced off the wall again and did another 360. Obviously there were plenty of witnesses and he got the ticket as well as a beat the fuck up company car.

edit: typical typos :?
Last edited by nobody on February 28, 2005, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

خودتان را بگای
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Justice is served!
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

Zaelath wrote:
Lynnsie wrote:I have such bad road rage, I can't handle people who cut me off only to pull over in front of me and slow down, then I pass them and they do it again
Had a friend once, someone tried this leapfrog crap on him so the 3rd or 4th time they passed he accelerated and held them out in the on-coming lane. Thankfully by the time I knew/travelled with him, he'd grown up.
After the ticket I grew up really quick on my driving habits, I think I was 18 when I got that ticket, I'm 23 now...I drive a lot differently and I suppose it's not as defensive but I still get pissed at the ignorance of others, whoever said Ignorance is Bliss is stupid, because all it does is piss me off