no smoking

What do you think about the world?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Never seen a country embrace Orwell's 1984 so whole-heartedly, all the while celebrating their freedom. And yes, freedom to do shit that is harmful is part of that. Driving cars is harmful, football is harmful, watching TV is harmful, everything but living like the farking amish is harmful, yet people just nod and accept that employers should be able to dictate behaviour outside the workplace.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kindo
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kindo »

I agree that employers shouldn't dictate what employees do outside of work. But I also can't bring myself to get too angry about this story. The story doesn't say how much Weyers invested in helping his employees quit, but he paid for smoking cessation classes and gave them bonuses for quitting. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to expect a return on his investment. As you read further in the article, the 4 individuals weren't even fired, they quit before the test in January to determine if they were smoking. Who is to say if Weyers would have actually fired them or was using it as a scare tactic? Bottom line, his plan got 20 of 27 smoking employees to quit and that is awesome no matter what kind of spin you try to put on it.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Grats Kindo. It really does get much easier after 2 weeks. You should put the money you save by not buying a pack in a jar. It adds up real fast.