Tips for countering suspseted ID theft

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Tips for countering suspseted ID theft

Post by Akaran_D »

From CNN.com.
Here's some advice from privacy experts if you receive a ChoicePoint letter or if for any other reason you believe you've become vulnerable to identity theft:

First, prepare yourself for a long, hard slog through a bureaucratic maze. Get organized -- keep a file with all your paperwork, including the names and numbers of everyone you contact.

File as detailed a police report as possible. Send copies to creditors and other agencies that may require proof of the crime. Get the phone number of your investigator and give it to creditors. In all communications, use certified, return receipt mail.

Report that you may be the victim of identity theft with at least one of the three major credit bureaus -- Equifax (http://www.equifax.com/ or 800-685-1111), Experian (http://www.experian.com/ or 888-397-3742) or TransUnion (http://www.transunion.com or 800-888-4213). That bureau is required to notify the other two.

Be sure to get your unique case number, and ask the bureau to send you a credit report. Read it carefully for any suspicious activity.

Tell the bureau to issue a "fraud alert," which requires mortgage brokers, car dealers, credit card companies and other lenders to scrutinize anyone who opens an account in your name for 90 days. Also, ask for the document you need to file a long-term fraud alert, which lasts for seven years, and can be canceled at any time.

Ask the bureau for names and phone numbers of lenders with whom fraudulent accounts have been opened (since this information may not be included on the credit report). Tell the bureau to remove inquiries generated due to fraud, since even a large number of inquiries can harm your credit rating.

Tell the bureau to notify anyone who received your report in the last six months that you are disputing the information. The credit bureaus will alert any employer who has asked for the report in the last two years.

Californians can order a "credit freeze" with all three major credit bureaus (call the same numbers as above). This requires lenders, retailers, utilities and other businesses to get special access to your credit report through a PIN-based system and helps prevent anyone from getting any new loans and credit in your name. Vermont, Texas and Louisiana have similar freeze laws going into effect later this year, and bills have been introduced in 12 other states.

Call credit card companies directly. Although financial institutions are supposed to see your fraud alerts, the data isn't always shared immediately. Credit card companies generally forgive consumers for fraudulent transactions but late payments -- even on credit cards you didn't open -- can damage your rating.

Fill out fraud affidavits for creditors. The Federal Trade Commission provides a form that many creditors accept.

If your credit cards have been used fraudulently, get replacements with new account numbers and close your old accounts.

Monitor mail for any suspicious increase or decrease in volume or strange bills, and be on the lookout particularly for change-of-address forms. The post office must send notifications to your old and new addresses if someone tries to change your mailing address -- a major tip-off that you've been victimized.

If debt collectors demand payment of fraudulent accounts, write down the name of the company, the collector's name, phone number and address. Tell the collector you're a victim of fraud. Send a letter with the FTC form filled out.

Be aware of post-ChoicePoint scams that purport to safeguard your identity from future attacks -- including bogus notification letters or suspicious e-mails
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.