Annan on the outs

What do you think about the world?
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Annan on the outs

Post by Rekaar. »

UN staff are expected to make an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after a series of scandals tainted his term in charge of the world body.
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041119/1/3onv4.html
Time makes more converts than reason. - Thomas Paine
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

Its all a plot to get Bill Clinton in.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

About time. The UN has it's place in the world, but they need a little in house cleaning. I've said for a while now that I thought they were corrupt. I guess it's because crap rolls downhill. Get his butt out of there.
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

They'll probably elect a muslim to replace him.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Denadeb wrote:Its all a plot to get Bill Clinton in.
Clinton kicks ass.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

Obviously I was joking when I said that but didn't he express intreast in it at one point?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Would be his chance to be more powerful than Hilary again.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I'd love to have him as the united nations leader, I always liked him as president.

What I Am Listening To
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Yeah I remember reading about this. I have to agree w/ this analysis...I really doubt Bush would want Clinton as the head of the UN (and from what this says Clinton would need US approval).

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking ... -9944r.htm
Washington, DC, Oct. 20 (UPI) -- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton has set his sights on becoming U.N. secretary-general. A Clinton insider and a senior U.N. source have told United Press International the 56-year-old former president would like to be named leader of the world body when Kofi Annan's term ends early in 2006.

"He definitely wants to do it," the Clinton insider said this week.

A Clinton candidacy is likely to receive overwhelming support from U.N. member states, particularly the Third World. Diplomats in Washington say Clinton would galvanize the United Nations and give an enormous boost to its prestige. But the former president's hopes hang on a crucial question that will not be addressed until after the presidential elections: can he get the support of the U.S. government -- a prerequisite for nomination?

The political wisdom is that a second George W. Bush presidency would cut him off at the pass. The notion of Clinton looming large in the international arena from "the glass tower" in New York would be intolerable to the Bush White House. If Democratic candidate, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., wins on Nov. 2 the prospect of Clinton as secretary-general won't exactly be welcome either, but Kerry would find it much harder -- if not impossible -- to go against it.

After a Middle East U.N. Secretary-General (Boutros Boutros Ghali) and an African (Kofi Annan) it is generally considered Asia's turn to fill the post, U.N. experts say. No announcement has been made, but behind the scenes China is already pushing the candidacy of Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai, who also seems to have U.S. support. If Clinton does emerge as a candidate, however, China would most likely shift its support, the experts say.

No American has ever been U.N. secretary-general, but the United States is both host country to the United Nations and the major contributor to its budget.

However, the U.S. history with the United Nations has been rocky for decades. President Reagan took the United States out of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in protest against alleged corruption by former top agency officials in 1984.

A hostile U.S. Congress, which held up payment to the United Nations for years, prevented an attempt by the Clinton administration to re-enter UNESCO in 1995.

In September 2002, President Bush addressed the United Nations and announced the United States would rejoin UNESCO while urging the United Nations to back a resolution authorizing an attack on Iraq.

Clinton is currently recovering from the heart bypass surgery he had to undergo last month, and this has kept him away from the Kerry campaign after a few initial support appearances. The former president has told friends and Kerry staffers he plans to resume campaigning for Kerry, but on a limited scale because his recovery has been gradual. He has talked of his interest in taking over at the United Nations since the publication of his commercially successful autobiography, which he recently said had sold 1.9 million copies. Writing the book kept him busy after leaving office in 2000, but he is now ready to channel his considerable political skills and energy into another role in public life.

There had been rumors that he would run the Third Way organization, the world Social Democratic movement he had talked of launching together with British Prime Minister Tony Blair and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder. But the political alliance had come unstuck and the idea ran out of steam partly because Blair and Schroeder found themselves on opposite sides in the Bush-led Iraq war.

Putting Clinton in charge of the United Nations would be a real test of international intentions, observers say.

"Critics of the U.N. complain that it's an organization without the muscle and will to put its decisions into effect," the U.N. source observed. "There's a good chance that Clinton could significantly change that situation, and then we'll see if the critics mean what they say."
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I had thought that the secretary general could not be someone on the security council, but I checked into the rules, while the secretary general has never been from a country on the security council, there is no written rule about it.
Last edited by Thess on November 19, 2004, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I hope Clinton goes for it, even if it's blocked by the Bush admin. Would certainly put yet another stain on them. That aside, Clinton would be great as the Secretary-General.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Clinton was a loved president by many, I don't think that Bush would step on a fellow president by denying him it. Though I can see where they're coming from, a former very popular president in a very strong position might challenge the US's status.

What I Am Listening To
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The fact is that having a former president at the head of the UN, especially someone with Clinton's popularity would instantly make the UN much less maligned in the US and would make the body much harder to dismiss out of hand by the Bush administration when decide to move against other "threatening" governments.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Dregor Thule wrote:Perhaps a bit premature.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... 1119215942
Regardless of this, his tenure is still over in 2006.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I doubt an american, even a more well-liked one than GWB, would be appointed, ever. But I could be wrong.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Clinton had a great record in the middle east and I think hes a choice person to help with peace there.

What I Am Listening To
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Dregor Thule wrote:I hope Clinton goes for it, even if it's blocked by the Bush admin. Would certainly put yet another stain on them. That aside, Clinton would be great as the Secretary-General.
What are you basing this on? Pretend you're his campaign manager - why should everyone be so supportive?
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I doubt an american, even a more well-liked one than GWB, would be appointed, ever. But I could be wrong.
I agree with Dorfgin. An American could never be elected. In this day an age. . .just impossible.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Rivera Bladestrike wrote:Clinton had a great record in the middle east and I think hes a choice person to help with peace there.
Are you kidding? Tell me what he did in the Middle East. Seriously, one thing.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Clinton had a great record everywhere except with the Neocons in the US. Hell everybody loves Bill! I think he would be great. However as you can see the Bush team dosen't want him there because they are still waiting on the Trade Federation to launch their attack on IRAN. Then we can call for a no confidence vote and get Bushie to head up the UN with Darth Wolfawitz at his side...

Marb
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

For a huge part of the world, having Clinton as leader of the UN would mean even more US leverage in the UN.

One of the reasons that so many secretaries have come from little pipsqueak nations is that they're perceived as being less likely to end up with a conflict of interests.

Should Clinton (or any other american) sit in the Secretary's chair he would be the world's representative, not the US's. And since the US doesn't exactly ride on a wave of popular <3 all the time, he'd get in some...interesting situations.

An interesting experiment in thought, and I don't necessarily think that it's a bad idea - with the right candidate - but I don't see it happening.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:For a huge part of the world, having Clinton as leader of the UN would mean even more US leverage in the UN.

One of the reasons that so many secretaries have come from little pipsqueak nations is that they're perceived as being less likely to end up with a conflict of interests.

Should Clinton (or any other american) sit in the Secretary's chair he would be the world's representative, not the US's. And since the US doesn't exactly ride on a wave of popular <3 all the time, he'd get in some...interesting situations.

An interesting experiment in thought, and I don't necessarily think that it's a bad idea - with the right candidate - but I don't see it happening.
On the other hand, there is a precedence for former presidents championing causes for poorer nations, or speaking out in opposition to the US government when and where necessary. Look no further than some of the work Carter has done in the past decade for that.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

" He was a tireless champion of peace in the Middle East. He used American power in the Balkans to confront aggression and halt ethnic cleansing. And in all his actions and decisions, the American people sensed a deep empathy for the poor and powerless."

This is GWB talking just yesterday(thursday) about Clinton at his opening of his library, museum.
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The U.N. must have some hot interns.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Avestan wrote:
Rivera Bladestrike wrote:Clinton had a great record in the middle east and I think hes a choice person to help with peace there.
Well, he didnt attack countries there, unlike some presidents :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Hesten wrote:
Avestan wrote:
Well, he didnt attack countries there, unlike some presidents :)
So he basically he didnt do shit. Thank you for making my point.

edit: edit for Raist. I guess when you can't beat an argument, turn to insults, you just summarized the entire democratic campaign.
Last edited by Avestan on November 20, 2004, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

She? Ok cool, so you have no fucking clue who your talking about. Thanks for proving how much of a dip shit you are
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Markulas wrote:" He was a tireless champion of peace in the Middle East. He used American power in the Balkans to confront aggression and halt ethnic cleansing. And in all his actions and decisions, the American people sensed a deep empathy for the poor and powerless."

This is GWB talking just yesterday(thursday) about Clinton at his opening of his library, museum.
He was a tireless champion who achieved nothing then.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

He got a lot further than anyone else ever have.

Clinton would be an interesting choice and maybe a first step in renewing the UN which is needed. Get rid of the veto and actually re-establish some of the power of it.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I don't see Clinton or any other American becoming Secretary General of the U.N. for a couple reasons (some of which Drolgin mentioned):

- the way the U.S. holds itself apart from the rest of the world with regards to things like the World Court, ban on land mines, etc.
- the permanent seat they already have on the Security Council
- the power the U.S. wields because of its economic clout

I don't think most other member nations would believe the UN would serve their interests with the same vigor that they would those of the U.S., especially if they were at odds with the U.S. over something.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Toshira
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Toshira »

Avestan wrote:
Markulas wrote:" He was a tireless champion of peace in the Middle East. He used American power in the Balkans to confront aggression and halt ethnic cleansing. And in all his actions and decisions, the American people sensed a deep empathy for the poor and powerless."

Your keen pragmatism sends ripples of gooey admiration shooting down my spine, culminating in an erotic boggling of the scrotum.

He accomplished nothing. If it wasn't for the fucking Israeli fundies gunning down their own PM, the middle east could have gone down a much better road.

P.S. Annan was put in place as a more "likeable" SG for the U.S.- he replaced Butras Butras G.
There is not enough disk space available to delete this file, please delete some files to free up disk space.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Toshira wrote:
Avestan wrote:

Your keen pragmatism sends ripples of gooey admiration shooting down my spine, culminating in an erotic boggling of the scrotum.

He accomplished nothing. If it wasn't for the fucking Israeli fundies gunning down their own PM, the middle east could have gone down a much better road.

P.S. Annan was put in place as a more "likeable" SG for the U.S.- he replaced Butras Butras G.
so, just to be clear. . .he accomplished nothing.
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Toshira wrote:He accomplished nothing. If it wasn't for the fucking Israeli fundies gunning down their own PM, the middle east could have gone down a much better road.
If you're going to talk about how good Clinton was in the middle east, you might want to notice that he blamed the failure of the peace talks on Arafat.
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Which is pretty much true, it was Arafat's fault. However, even if Arafat had gone along with it the peace would most likely not have ended when the Israeli fundamentalists gunned down their PM. Sharon would have ignored that peace treaty in a heartbeat.
Toshira
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Toshira »

Avestan wrote:
Toshira wrote:
Avestan wrote:

so, just to be clear. . .he accomplished nothing.
Again, your razor-keen precision has tickled my anal G-spot.

Personally, i would call the Oslo accords "something".
There is not enough disk space available to delete this file, please delete some files to free up disk space.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Clinton was a shitty president. the US got attacked a number of times thanks to him.

in GW's first 4 years we (the US) got attacked once. and that shit would have happened regardless of who was in office.

fuck clinton!
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Clinton would follow the same track the the UN does now, fail to act decisively in times of crisis.