Newbie Server

WoW Discussion
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Newbie Server

Post by Mort »

Anyone on VV playing on there? Just got into beta and wanted to hook up with some VV folks.

Undead Magi "Morteous" lvl 11
Dorfy War "Statx" lvl 12

Look me up in game, gonna start a priest or druid tonight as well, funnest game I've ever played. I do have some newbie questions though, I read somewhere awhile ago that when you camped for the night, you actually wanted to make sure it was at an inn/bed. Is this true? And why?
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Newbie Server

Post by archeiron »

Mort wrote:Anyone on VV playing on there? Just got into beta and wanted to hook up with some VV folks.

Dorfy War "Statx" lvl 12

Look me up in game, gonna start a priest or druid tonight as well, funnest game I've ever played. I do have some newbie questions though, I read somewhere awhile ago that when you camped for the night, you actually wanted to make sure it was at an inn/bed. Is this true? And why?
World of Warcraft has a Rest State system. When you are camped out, your character rests. At a certain point, you enter a rested state. As you acquire experience through killing things, your state begins to drop back to normal. During the rested period, all kills give a bonus (double experience). The rate at which you build back from normal to rested is higher when one camps in an inn, so it is in your interest to return to one when practical.

If you are playing Undead, you can rest in Brill. I am not sure if the "inn" in Sepulchre counts, but you can probably rest there, too - assuming that you follow the standard progression and move to Silverpine.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Anyone know the time tables on this? IE How long IRL rest = how long rested state lasts in game?

I'm assuming it's same on back end? Play 20 hours and fall into Fatigued state = 1/2 xp or something?

Inquiring newbies wanna know :lol:
Warlord of <Driven>

archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Mort wrote:Anyone know the time tables on this? IE How long IRL rest = how long rested state lasts in game?

I'm assuming it's same on back end? Play 20 hours and fall into Fatigued state = 1/2 xp or something?

Inquiring newbies wanna know :lol:
It was tested as being the same on the back end, but it was removed after people in closed beta complained that they were being punished for playing a long time.

It may seem strange, but the Blizzard World of Warcraft site has a tonne of information (see http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/bas ... ting.shtml for resting). If you read through their content, it will probably answer many of your questions.

Nice maps can be found at (http://www.worldofwar.net/):
http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/w ... rncont.php
http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/w ... orcont.php

Items, Spells, Talents, and Skills can be found at
http://www.thottbot.com/

Nice talent calculators are available at:
http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Talents.View
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Dont even count on the rest system as it stands. I play probably an hour, maybe two a day....and I am in a state of rest for probably 2-3 kills. I think this system is meant for those who only play a few times a week.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah on your main you can log pretty much anywhere you want.

it builds up quite a bit over time though, and on my alt characters that I don't play as much, it's nice to log on in an inn and have like a level and a half worth of rested xp.
Xzion-
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xzion- »

archeiron wrote:
Mort wrote:Anyone on VV playing on there? Just got into beta and wanted to hook up with some VV folks.

Dorfy War "Statx" lvl 12

World of Warcraft has a Rest State system. When you are camped out, your character rests. At a certain point, you enter a rested state. As you acquire experience through killing things, your state begins to drop back to normal. During the rested period, all kills give a bonus (double experience). The rate at which you build back from normal to rested is higher when one camps in an inn, so it is in your interest to return to one when practical.

If you are playing Undead, you can rest in Brill. I am not sure if the "inn" in Sepulchre counts, but you can probably rest there, too - assuming that you follow the standard progression and move to Silverpine.
How big is the WOW world in comparison to say pre-kunark EQ
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Xzion- wrote:How big is the WOW world in comparison to say pre-kunark EQ
This isn't an easy question to answer, but I will do my best.

There are 17 "zones" spread out over 4 continents. These zones account for 85-90% of the landmass of those continents with a few more places to be revealed before release, and possibly a few after. The eight races are split into 6 starting cities with a newbie "zone" roughly two "zones" away from the city. The six newbie zones are some of the smaller zones.

I believe that there will be several areas that are not on the world map that will be included within the game, not to mention the numerous instanced areas spread throughout the landscape.

Most low and mid level zones would be comparable in physical size to a Kunark zone. Although, this doesn't accurately convey the user experience. There isn't that much empty space in the lower level zones, and you do not run between destinations looking at repetitive filler landscaping.

The largest zone, The Barrens, contains 18 named areas, and two towns. It is difficult to judge its size, but I would guess that it is comparable in length to running from Qeynos to Freeport if not larger. This zone has a massive amount of content for levels 10 to 25, including razormane/quillmane camps, raptor dens, pirate coves, oases, savanah, mining outposts, insect nests, and an instanced dungeon that is larger in size than Sebilis (for lvl 20s).

I would guess that this game is comparable in content and size to either Kunark or Vellious era EverQuest. The attention to detail, ambience, character, and beauty of each area in WoW is substantially higher than either of those EQ eras; everything seems to have a place and a purpose in WoW. It is easy to suspend disbelief in the content of WoW, which I believe contributes to a greater sense of immersion. WoW areas seem to have heart and soul to them.
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Let us not forget..... NO FUCKING ZONING! Cept maybe continent to continent and even then, you're riding some vehicle that almost seems like a cutscene until you start to land and actually see PC's running around. Then land and discover the peeps you saw there are not part of the cutscene, they are there.

I am in awe of this game so far, they really keep you intrigued.

After retail goes live, we need to start teh VV guild! =P
Warlord of <Driven>

Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Some areas are fairly large, and take a while to get across, like Stranglethorn Vale & The Barrens. It is not like getting across West fucking Karana though!
Now dying in some spots gives a long-ass corpse run....but if you are used to some of the epic corpse runs that had to be done in EQ, WoW is a breeze, not to mention that fact that there is NO exp penalty for dying.
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

8 real life hours = 1 bubble of "double" exp

the "Inn" in sepulcher counts as long as you are on the stairs or below

The no zoneing i just love!
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!