Dogville

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Dogville

Post by Kylere »

Okay you can imdb it, and yes it is weird, but damn, if you are a movie buff, then damn, I mean DAMN. It is excellent, quirky, off, odd and wonderful while being disturbing sick and twisted.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I loved Dogville when I saw it. I'm in no way a Kidman fan but she was wonderful in this movie, as were Lauren Bacall, Paul Bettany and Patricia Clarkson.

It took me maybe 15 minutes to completely forget the 'gimmick' set and be fully enraptured.

Heartily recommended to anyone who can handle watching a (foreign) movie that has the audacity to not gloss over the US.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I loved Dogville when I saw it. I'm in no way a Kidman fan but she was wonderful in this movie, as were Lauren Bacall, Paul Bettany and Patricia Clarkson.

It took me maybe 15 minutes to completely forget the 'gimmick' set and be fully enraptured.

Heartily recommended to anyone who can handle watching a (foreign) movie that has the audacity to not gloss over the US.
Careful Drolgin, your antiUS penis is hanging out. I would not say that was typical America small town or not in any way.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Actually, I'm just going from what Von Trier himself said and the reaction from some of the US reviewers after the screening at Cannes. I wasn't pointing fingers in your direction, was just bringing up a caveat emptor:

THIS MOVIE DARES TO HAVE AN OPINION.
Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:a (foreign) movie that has the audacity to not gloss over the US.
Lars von Trier isn't doing anything revolutionary by "not glossing over" the US. Plenty of movies, both foreign and domestic, show US life in a harsh light. There's nothing revolutionary, either, in making a movie about the US that "dares to have an opinion." Especially when the moviemaker in question is someone who has never been to the US and probably never will. Von Trier is entitled to his opinion, of course, but I wouldn't give him the extra credit you seem to be giving with your posts.
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Without going into the whole "not glossing over the U.S." argument I'll say that I really enjoyed this film. In all honestly the story could have been rapped in a small German hamlet setting and it would have still been very entertaining. It had really good performances by all the actors in the film. Of course it could have just been my own dim view on human nature that made me enjoy the film so much.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

My point was just that if you - like a lot of the initial US reviews - were easily offended at a movie that, according to Von Trier himself, is an exploration of the US, then maybe you shouldn't watch this movie. If you choose to look at Dogville in that light, you are opting out on a, in my opinion, great cinematic experience.

That's all, my apologies if I came off as a smartass - that wasn't the intention (this time!).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Just got this in from Netflix and planning on watching it this weekend if not sooner...