Shopping for monitors

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Shopping for monitors

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I'm looking at buying a new monitor at some point in the near future (current one is getting so tiiiiiiired that text in smaller sizes than 8pt is getting hard to read). Currently my choices are between a Samsung SyncMaster 957MB and a ViewSonic E92f+SB. Any suggestions / experiences?

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/dk/Produ ... 92f+SB.htm

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor ... 7MB_sp.htm
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
kurzweil
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by kurzweil »

Viewsonic has a slightly smaller desk footprint than the samsung. If realestate is an issue, I'd go with that.

I've had a viewsonic for over 4 years and 2 moves, and it's still going strong.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Just went shopping yesterday to replace the one that blew over the weekend.

I ended up going with a [google]Viewsonic P220f[/google]-2 and it's very nice...

My other monitor I've had for about a year is the [google]Viewsonic A90f[/google], and now they come with ultrabrite for the same price. Awesome monitor, and the one you linked looked very similar - although it looks like the resolution might be higher (my vid card doesn't go above 16x1200 anyways)

Regardless, Viewsonic has an excellent return policy, and support (for whatever that's worth)

My Princeton that blew was a very nice monitor, but customer service was horrible.

At work, the samsung LCD's have been awesome, but a high failure rate on the CRT's.

so yeah, Viewsonic!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

(belated) Thanks for the input, guys :)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have always gone with Viewsonic as well. Can't resist the birdies.

But I think Drolgin's problem is that he's getting old and can't read the small fonts ;)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

if you want a monitor that lives forever and doesn't make you feel old figure out what i have and buy it!

i have no idea who makes my monitor just that it's almost 7 years old, bigger than a conventional oven and shows the pictures as if it was brand new.

it came with my Dell 450 mhz that i bought a long ass time ago. The dell died, the monitor is still kickin'!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

I bought a NEC/MITSUBISHI FE991SB when I built my new machine earlier this year.

Love it!
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

That NEC is nice - but it costs twice what the Viewsonic or Samsung would :o
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

The older Sony CRTs are really nice as well, but harder to find and going to be a little more expensive. Very, very clear though.
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:That NEC is nice - but it costs twice what the Viewsonic or Samsung would :o
I have the same NEC monitor posted above (NEC FE991SB). I originally had three of them side by side but took two if them back when I decided to get a projector. It's very nice...incredibly bright vibrant screen. I have to keep the brightness turned way down while surfing the net but hit the superbright button for games and if I'm watching a movie on it or don't have my projector turned on.

It's a killer monitor but isn't the top rated one for text but that's because the monitor is its own light source.

Stupendous for games, pictures and colors.
Good for text.

A year ago it cost 299.00 US. I believe I saw it for 249.00 recently if it's still in production. That's very reasonable.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

The link I gave points to the item sold on newegg for $249.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

oh

Cheapest I've found them here in Denmark is around $540 where the Viewsonic is just over $260.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:oh

Cheapest I've found them here in Denmark is around $540 where the Viewsonic is just over $260.
Thats because Viewsonic is using cheap Swedish labor in Swedish sweatshops to crank out their monitors!
Menelaos
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Menelaos »

Or you could shell out a hundred bucks more and buy a used top of the line 21"/22" model of Sony or Mitsubishi at a site like http://www.azatek.com . No extended warranty, but top notch products ;) Viewsonics there as well, for cheaper than Sony/Mitsubishi. I bought a Mitsubishi 2040u and 2060u there in the last year, and haven't had any problems or regrets ;) Not sure if they'll ship internationally though...and honestly, I wouldn't trust having a monitor shipped overseas anyways. But your call!
Last edited by Menelaos on July 1, 2004, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

My brother has the Samsung 957, and I have the 757, they're both exceptional monitors. Looking at the specs, the Samsung is clearly a better monitor so unless there's a significant price-break for the Viewsonic I'd say go with the Samsung.

P.S. I wouldn't want to pay shipping on a 70+ lb. package from Arizona to Denmark. I bet it'd run you almost as much as the monitor itself!
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.