SWG doing this bad?

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Krurk
Gets Around
Gets Around

SWG doing this bad?

Post by Krurk »

Noticed this link

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/140938.shtml

Seems like FilePlanet is giving out free SWG downloads and 2 week trial memberships already, alongside the $9.99 Planetside download.

I have no interest in either, but I do find it amusing that Sony appears to have hosed it on those games.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Standard marketing promotion, they make more on a 3 month subscription than they do on selling the box, so its well worth it to try for more subscriptions. T'aint no big news.

*Hugs*
Varia
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sure it's a standard marketing promotion... For a game that isn't doing that good.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

SWG took more time than I expected to get to this point.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sure it's a standard marketing promotion... For a game that isn't doing that good.
EQ was doing this well before it's numbers peaked. I see it as a sign of box sales dropping a certian %. I don't see it as the gloom and doom of a game.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Tried swg for about an hour, played like total shit on my comp, I could hardly tell what was going on. Its gone now
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Could also be a marketing strategy to bring new people onboard for the space expansion which comes out soon.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sionistic wrote:Tried swg for about an hour, played like total shit on my comp, I could hardly tell what was going on. Its gone now
I had the best hardware available to play SWG at the time of it's release, and it still played like total shit.

You could use a GeForce 3, 4 or an MX, OR a 9800Pro, with a P4-3.06 and a Gig of RAM and you'd still only get 30-35 FPS max with all detail turned up. That might not seem that bad, except when you consider that the performance was identical for all three of those video cards...

The engine for that game sucks ass. The game itself is even worse. I keep wondering when they're going to add the Star Wars to that game.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
kurzweil
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by kurzweil »

Almost a year after release they finally admitted:

"We do not think the current holo-grind system of becoming a Jedi is healthy for the game, and we want it to stop as soon as possible."

I almost died laughing when I read that.

(background: in order to become a jedi, the original system required you to master 6+ profession/advanced professions. holocrons would give you 'hints' about which of the various professions you needed to master)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
EQ was doing this well before it's numbers peaked. I see it as a sign of box sales dropping a certian %. I don't see it as the gloom and doom of a game.
EQ gave away free software and two week trial memberships in it's first year of release? I can't remember that far back.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:
EQ gave away free software and two week trial memberships in it's first year of release? I can't remember that far back.
No, they didn't.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They should have given us a free month for time wasted downloading GoD.