Car suggestion

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Car suggestion

Post by Xzion »

Im thinking of trading in my ML320 for either a new kompressor, c320, 350z or maybe an infiniti G35. I was leaning towards the Z for a while, but i still want to keep my options open. Ive had some sort of mercedes since i was 17 and i love the way they drive, its hard for me to consider a different brand. Does anyone have any experience with these cars or any ideas with other pratical sport cars?

Although i drive one of the smallest, sportiest, fuel efficent SUVs there are, i really cant stand them much longer and am really looking forward to an actual car 8)
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

http://www.edmunds.com

Don't buy a car without having gone there first..
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

I'd test drive a BMW 3 series if I were you 8)
aka Trake Daddy 65 Overlord, Cestus Dei [retired]
Diamonds are a girl's blow job enabler
Faerin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Faerin »

As much as I hate to agree with Revs, in that class I'd definitely check out a 3 or 5 series (I prefer the 3s myself, but oppinions vary). You really can't go wrong with a BMW. As for the G35/350z debate, I think the G35 is a much better deal for the money. They're almost identical in power/handling, and the G35 has a much nicer interior with a full back seat (again, it's all relative). I've never cared much for Mercs, so I'll let someone else chime in there.
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

Yeah, 3 series is what I have picked out for my next car.
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Someone at my dojo has that, but for some reason ive never been a big fan of the 3 series, or BMWs in general. Speed is not a MAJOR issue since i live in florida, and i cant really afford to get too many more tickets, id like to drive one though.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

German cars are way more common back home, and I've noticed that they have actually struggled a bit with quality over the last couple of years. The owners are not as happy with BMWs as they used to be. Of course, German struggling with quality still puts them way up there...

A friend of mine drives the G35 Coupe and man, it is a SWEET car. You have the comfort of a luxury car and the handling/power of a sports car. I took it for a spin and it is amazing. Turn off the spin control and you can make the rear end slide out, yet it is extremely easy to control. I fell in love with the car during the weekend he visited me heh, and he said the 7 hour drive up here wasn't all that bad at all in it. Of course, it is slightly pricey and if you live anywhere with snow you will want to buy winter tires for it. Personally, I like the way the 350Z looks better than the G35 Coupe, but oh well.. heh.

My cousin drives the RX8 and loves it, but quite a few people don't like the way it looks. I do though, and the car seems like a lot of fun. Plus it is pretty handy with the doors so you can easily get people in and out of the back seat.

Mercedes.. well that has always been an old-man car for me. That is how it was back home and I can't shake that feeling hehe.
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

You could also look at the CTS from Cadillac or the M3 both are very nice cars.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Volvo has the new S40 turbo coming out...looks pretty sweet.

Me personally, I would go with the Z. I've driven both the Z and the G35 coupe, and well, you can't get the G35 in a manual..so...the Z wins. If you want an automatic, the G35 is your machine, no doubt.
Faerin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Faerin »

Denadeb wrote:You could also look at the CTS from Cadillac or the M3 both are very nice cars.

Awesome cars, but not exactly in line with the price of the others he's mentioning. Once you get up to that price range, an M3 cab or a 911 C4 cab would definitely be my choice (I can't be without a convertable anymore :\).
Kluden wrote:Volvo has the new S40 turbo coming out...looks pretty sweet.

Me personally, I would go with the Z. I've driven both the Z and the G35 coupe, and well, you can't get the G35 in a manual..so...the Z wins. If you want an automatic, the G35 is your machine, no doubt.
The G35 coupe 6MT comes with a 6 speed manual transmission (I test drove a few of them).
Axien_Dellusions
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Axien_Dellusions »

I had a Firebird that was awesome. I lost her on Saturday due to a stupid teenage kid that wasn't paying attention to where he was going. The new Z's are really awesome though. My husband would get one but I have to have the new car. :cry:
Lvl 65 enchanter (retired)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstien

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

If its performance you want I would say G35 without a doubt.

If performance is a real issue check this out.
http://www.ssr-engineering.com/products ... nturbo.php

Once that starts actively shipping (if you have the cash) you can have one helluva nice and fast ride.
Sendarie
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

or

Subaru WRX STi.
Both have pretty stiff rides, but the performance is absolutely phenomenal....for ~$30k.

BMW's & Mercedes are for posuers.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Skogen wrote:Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
or
Subaru WRX STi.
...phenomenal....for ~$30k.
Agree 100% here, those are 2 seriously hot rides.
2 liter 4 bangers that run 13's make my toes curl.

Just didnt think that was the kind of car he was looking for.
Sendarie
Fyndina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fyndina »

Test the RX-8 if you are looking at things like the G35 Coupe. The 8 is definatly different, but is a blast to drive. And being 4 door is fairly cheap to insure. I pay about 400 $ less a year than for my 2001 Trans Am WS6 I used to have. Actualy pay about $10 less a month than the GMC small pickup I traded for.

I tested the WRX and Evo before buying it and even though they are faster, they are still cheap ass little japanese econoboxes at heart. If you are used to the quality of Mercedes (esp the tactile feal of them) you will most likely never be able to live with how these two feel.
Ardel i'Fallegar, Wizard long dead

Fyndina i'Fallegar, L60 necro, Veeshan
Aateni i'Fallegar, L65 SK, Veeshan

Korte i'Fallegar, L43 Illusionist, Lucan

Gun Carrying Liberal
Faerin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Faerin »

If you don't mind waiting a year or two, you could also check out the Lotus Elise.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

BMW's are made for narrow-assed Europeans. I have yet to sit comfortably in anything other and a 7-series. I'm not exactly huge (5'11", 240 lbs., 40" waist, 50" chest), but I just don't fit in those fucking cars.

Test drive everything. I've gotten to drive both a 350Z and a G35 coupe, and they are very similar cars. I personally liked the Z more, but in all fairness, it was an upscale touring model. I also don't care if my car has a back seat :wink: Both of these cars were very comfy for me, and the performance was stellar.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Xzion wrote:Someone at my dojo has that, but for some reason ive never been a big fan of the 3 series, or BMWs in general. Speed is not a MAJOR issue since i live in florida, and i cant really afford to get too many more tickets, id like to drive one though.
Speed doesn't really matter with those cars, they handle very well.
If you don't believe any other owners, there's always Car & Driver's 10 Best list: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... le_id=7575
It's been there 13 years in a row :D
aka Trake Daddy 65 Overlord, Cestus Dei [retired]
Diamonds are a girl's blow job enabler
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Get an M3, that's what I drive and it fucking blows the hell out of any of those cars you mentioned Xzion. I've been in most of the cars you mentioned and I wouldn't give up my M3 for any of them. Very comfortable, even the back seats and a nice ride, not to mention it's power :) 140Mph down the Florida Turnpike and you can barely notice...
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Sendarie wrote:
or
Subaru WRX STi.

Then the SRT-4 would make you happy. 13.9's stock from the 2004's. $20,995 base price...which is pretty much fully loaded.

That's what I drive, but mines not stock...End of next month with a proper driver mine might be capable of 12's. I don't drag though so I don't know what I personally could do with it...I'll find out this summer.

I think Xzion is leaning a little more towards the luxury side than most sport compacts go though.
-retired-
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Xzion wrote:Does anyone have any experience with these cars or any ideas with other pratical sport cars?
Faerin wrote:If you don't mind waiting a year or two, you could also check out the Lotus Elise.
Ok first off they are out now, a friend already ordered one.

Secondly they rock.

Thirdly they are not very practical....they are a 2 seater convertible. They don't even have a full size passenger seat from what I hear, or carpeted interior. And at less than 2,000 lbs I doubt the crash safety tests are stellar. It's more of a sunday cruiser etc...but very fast, very good handling, and I assume excellent gas mileage.

However if I had 2 cars, the Lotus Elise would be a candidate for one of them. It's an excellent sports car for the price. I'd probably pick it over a Evo VIII or WRX STi....if I had 2 cars...cause I need somethign for trips, snow, passengers, groceries etc...something more practical.
-retired-
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Pilsburry wrote:
Sendarie wrote:
or
Subaru WRX STi.

Then the SRT-4 would make you happy. 13.9's stock from the 2004's. $20,995 base price...which is pretty much fully loaded.

That's what I drive, but mines not stock...End of next month with a proper driver mine might be capable of 12's. I don't drag though so I don't know what I personally could do with it...I'll find out this summer.

I think Xzion is leaning a little more towards the luxury side
most sport compacts go though.
Its a fucking Neon.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

SRT-4 is a riceburner. Same can be said about WRX and Evo as well, even though I'd pick them over the Neon any day. M3 is decent but overpriced, you pay so much for the BMW name it's ridiculous.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

It might be a Neon, but I'll hand you your ass with it.
-retired-
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Pilsburry wrote:It might be a Neon, but I'll hand you your ass with it.
lol who cares

these guys are talking about Infinitis and BMWs.

your piece of shit Neon - no matter how blinged out - might as well by my stock Corrolla as far as comparing it to these real cars. :p

i'd personally be looking for a BMW 3/5 or the Infiniti from a dealer who is selling on "off-lease"...so maybe 2 years old with 20-25,000 miles, but you still have your warranty and it should be in good shape.

supposedly the low-end Mercedes suck, so i wouldnt go that route.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Don't know why, but I luv these cars.

valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

M3 is decent but overpriced, you pay so much for the BMW name it's ridiculous.
When you're buying a 50K car, should price even be an issue? You worry about price when you're buying a Honda or a Neon, not a BMW...
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

Last I checked the CTS was around 35k nicely loaded. You sure your not thinking about the CTS-V.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

My friend also brought up the M3, im defedentally gonna have to check that out. The car itself though looks kind of plain on the outside it doesnt draw a certain type of attention like a Z or an M3, thats pretty much my only concern with it[/code]

http://byo.bmwusa.com/configurator/conf ... 40BMC112A0

I could sure as hell go for this, but i dont know if want to spend 60k on a car, my car was originally like 56 but it depreceates(sp) like fuck, il keep it open though
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

get an h2 and slap some 24''s up on that biatch, WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT?
Hasafraker
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Hasafraker »

Buddy of mine just got a Cooper with most all options, the damn thing is fast as hell and handles like it's on rails. I was in awe of it's performance.

I just got a new truck but on a whim did test drive a few BMW's, the 3 series would get my thumbs up if I were to have gotten a car. As it is I got a killer deal on a 04 Explorer Sport Trac which suits me better.

Kith
Kithal ~ Varrix
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

I only mentioned the SRT-4 in reference to the person who posted about the STI and EVO because anyone who looks at a sport compact should test drive the SRT-4.

But yeah like I said, Xzion wants a bit more luxury, sport compacts aren't his thing. Luxury cars aren't my thing....if it was legal to ride a super sonic missle to the grocery store I'd strap a saddle on it and yell "yee-haw mother fucker".

As for the cooper....they do handle quite well, they are pretty quick...I like them quicker....and the styling..well I hate that type of vehicle, it's like not a car it's one of those things inbetween car and suv/van...but as far as those go, it's got the best styling of them. I don't think Xzion is looking for that either though.

A practical sports car...draws attention, but more stress on class than power...

25-40k
Nissan 350z
Porshe Boxter ?
Mazda RX-8
Audi TT
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Honda S2000

50k'ish
Lexus SC 430.

80k'ish
Dodge Viper

I don't think the Corvette or GTO are really your style.

I can't make any suggestions for cars to look at in regards to luxury cars, just nice looking sporty cars.

I also can't really say they are "practical" as in haul the wife and kids to the soccer meet. By practical I had to assume you meant in your sub-60k price range. Because the better styled, faster, or more expensive you go in sports cars, the less practical you get....and all 3 qualities are things you really want in your sports car. But speed comes with less fuel economy, handling comes with harder ride, style usually ends up cutting down interior room esecially back seats...
-retired-
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I would face eternal castration over a neon.

that is all.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Nissan 350z - nice looking car

Porshe Boxter - 100% certified crap, this is for people who can't afford real Porche's

Mazda RX-8 - interesting look, but something about it just doesn't click

Audi TT - WTF, does the word Miata ring a bell? It's a fkn chick car!

Toyota MR2 Spyder - people still buy these?

Honda S2000 - nice fast car, but looks like something fell on the hood and squashed it

50k'ish
Lexus SC 430 - not bad

80k'ish
Dodge Viper - this could be my next car, it might be hard to get over losing the luxury part that comes with the BMW, but I imagine it makes up for it in other ways :)
Talelor
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Talelor »

Why buy a new ride when you can go classic ;)

74' Chevrolet Caprice > All :lol:
Talelor Boreland
* Veeshan Retired *
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Caprice Classic, son.

Anyway, I say trust the Japanese and get the Infiniti. I hate German manufacturers. But this is simply me trying to pass my (minimally) informed opinion on everyone else.
Faerin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Faerin »

Valryte is far too hard on the Boxter :P
The mid-engined boxter is actually much closer to Porsche's roots than any of their other cars made today. They may not be as fast, but they handle at least as well (some say better) than any of the 996s coming off the line (granted, most people who buy them probably wouldn't know the difference anyway). I'd take a 993/6/7 over a boxter given the choice (I'm hoping to have one in the next 2 years or so), but to say they're crap is hardly fair.

As for the TT ... I've never really understood the guidelines in defining what makes a "chick car". Maybe I'm strange, but I just don't see the problem with owning a car that attracts women :P

ps: How the hell can you compare a TT with a miata? Personally I think they're pretty ugly, but aside from being a 2 door roadster I don't see any similarities to a miata.
Last edited by Faerin on March 23, 2004, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Truant wrote:I would face eternal castration over a neon.

that is all.
Test drive a SRT-4....you'll change your mind. Dodge actually released its power numbers way too conservatively. Its listed as 230 HP, but Road & Track Magazine got 291 HP when they dynoed it. When they approached Dodge about it, there reply was that it has been there policy to quote numbers on the very conservative side.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Psyloche wrote:
Pilsburry wrote:
Sendarie wrote:
or
Subaru WRX STi.

I think Xzion is leaning a little more towards the luxury side
most sport compacts go though.
Its a fucking Neon.
Get over your discrimination of the Neon. The cars chassis has come a very long way since it first came out, and SRT-4 is the best HP/dollar value out there.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Talelor wrote:Why buy a new ride when you can go classic ;)

My first car was a 72 Impala with a 396 big block, an Audiovox cassette stereo with a power amp, and room for as many people as you wanted to get in. I wish I still had it.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Talelor wrote:Why buy a new ride when you can go classic ;)

oh god. Where to your drop anchor in that boat? I couldn't imagine trying to navigate around the streets of LA, or worse yet, San Francisco with that.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Skogen is correct.

The SRT-4 horsepower is underrated. They list 230 at the crank on the 2004's. But it's really like 232 at the wheels. For those of you who don't know cars there is a 20% drivetrain loss usually on a car. That puts my car around 278hp stock...and even more torque, 300 torque at the crank stock. Torque is important especially for acceleration at the drag strip. Stock 2004 SRT-4's run a 1/4 in 13.9 secs. 0-60 in 5.3sec.

For $825 I got a stage 2 ordered. That will put me at 265hp/280torque at the WHEELS. Again 20% loss...318hp/336torque at the crank.

Handling? Neons are well known for thier adeptness at Autocross. Now you add Tokico struts, Anti-sway bars, bigger tires, better brakes, LSD (on 2004's) all stock...wow. Nice handling.

We are also lower weight than most of the cars you will compare us to by a good 300-400 lbs on average. That also has an effect. Each 100lbs is aproximately a tenth on your 1/4 mile times.

Our build quality is actually higher than people give us credit for. Go ahead and look up things like recalls. Not just us, pick a few other cars and look them up for comparison. Look at what the recalls are for, not just the quantity.

Read a few reviews...here is one from edmunds

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/dodge/n ... m8.0.dodge*

Opening lines...
"A ridiculously fast econobox with the suspension to back it up, the SRT is undeniably the most performance you can buy for $20K.

Pros
More power than a $20K car has any business having, near perfect suspension tuning, throaty exhaust snarl, serious seat bolstering."

At this point I am going to walk away from the subject. You can continue to hate the SRT-4, doesn't bother me, I just wanted to help you remedy your ignorance....if you choose to ignore the facts, not my fault.

I will give you one thing though....it could use some work on the body style. It's not bad, just average. And noone wants an average looking rocket to ride in. Well actually I guess some do, myself included.
-retired-
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

Posting 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that you read in a magazine is retarded. Most drivers will not come close to those times because thats done by a PROFESIONAL DRIVER. A normal driver would be lucky to to post a 14.5 second 1/4 mile and a 6 1/2 second 0-60. I know this because I am at the race track enough watching all the little rice burners and hearing them complain about how slow they really are. 230 at the rear wheels damn and to think I only push 300 with a naturally aspirated engine.

Oh and the best Performance to dollar ratio out there is not a shitty ass dodge neon. Its a 600cc motorcycle made by Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki any of those 4. Don't belive me line up next to one.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

At the risk of continuing a hijack. i'm far from ignorant about any of the specs of the SRT-4. I'm completely aware of it's power, cost, etc. etc.

I just do not like Neons. I also do not like Wal Mart.

I don't care if Jesus Christ came to Earth and said, you will acheive salvation by driving neons to wal mart, and through no other means. I would still not like neons, or wal mart.

Do not confuse honest dislike with ignorance, it makes you look ignorant.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Valryte is far too hard on the Boxter
Actually I'm the same about any luxury car maker who sell out by creating these cheap as versions just so the average joe can own a "Mercedes" or "Porche". I hate the low end cars Mercedes, BMW, etc... make. Who's next? Ferrari making a $30K version?
As for the TT ... I've never really understood the guidelines in defining what makes a "chick car".
A car that can be described as cute, bubbly, etc... is a chick car. Miata, Beetle, Audi TT easily fall into those categories. The only redemption the TT has is if it's the turbo version. Then again the Saab has turbo and it's a chick car. I guess it all depends on where you live. In Miami only 2 types of people drive these cars, women and gay men. (exceptions do occur)
Maybe I'm strange, but I just don't see the problem with owning a car that attracts women
The way these cars attract women is comparable to how gay men attract women.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Truant wrote:At the risk of continuing a hijack. i'm far from ignorant about any of the specs of the SRT-4. I'm completely aware of it's power, cost, etc. etc.

I just do not like Neons. I also do not like Wal Mart.

I don't care if Jesus Christ came to Earth and said, you will acheive salvation by driving neons to wal mart, and through no other means. I would still not like neons, or wal mart.

Do not confuse honest dislike with ignorance, it makes you look ignorant.
That about sums it up for me as well. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I'd eat at IHOP before ever wanting to have a Neon. I think they killed the car for me way back when the thing said "Hi" in the commercials and the body style I've always thought looked.. stupid. Ok no more hijacking from me!

Some cars I saw that I liked were SC430, 350z, and G35 8)
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Faerin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Faerin »

valryte wrote:Actually I'm the same about any luxury car maker who sell out by creating these cheap as versions just so the average joe can own a "Mercedes" or "Porche". I hate the low end cars Mercedes, BMW, etc... make. Who's next? Ferrari making a $30K version?
I'm wondering what your take on the Porsche 944/951 would be then (around 45k price tag when it was released from '83 to '91, on par with the boxter) ... seeing as how it's probably the best engineered car Porsche ever developed (front engine water cooled 4 banger with almost exact 50/50 weight distribution. I've watched them take out 993s and 996s in autox bone stock). You're talking as if these cars should be a status symbol ... I wasn't aware that only the wealthy should be allowed to own a good car. :\

shrug.

As for the Neon debate. I agree, the neon is a great car for the money (in terms of power at least, and chryslers have been very reliable lately), and I would certainly never make fun of someone for owning one (though Pil's obsession seems to be a little much). I just don't like them. :P
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Just corrections not defense.
Neons are FWD. Not RWD.

What 300hp NA car do you have? Is that at the wheels or crank? Mods how much? How much was your sticker in the dealership?

-----------
As for someone just hating the Neon because it is a Neon. That's fine, I understand, I had to look past the fact it was a Neon myself I almost didn't buy it for that reason, but logically it was the best buy...and for more than power and handling...insurance, gas, back seat room...it really was winning in every department. Except looks and crash tests.

You accept it has good stats (for the cost) then your fine in my book.
------------

As for the 13.9 being a magazine stat, yes that's what is in the magazines. But I have seen numerous time slips for the 2004's and that is about average for an experienced driver, not professional, just experienced.

I have personally only witnessed 3 SRT-4 runs. All 2003's thats less 15hp, 5ft-lbs, and Limited slip compared to a 2004..

1. Removed back/passenger seats/spare/jack, motor mont inserts, exhaust turn down, stage 1, spring mod, racing slicks. Total invested ~$700-800. Time: 12.998 (yes, 12.998 not 13.9) I saw him run 2 other times that day..both 13.1. I can explain what those mods are if you wish.

2. motor mounts, plug wires, some vinyl - 14.3 (he did not launch his car or anything, he just ran it, promised his wife he would not be hard on the car). I bet he could have done a 14.1 if he wasn't holding back. Keep in mind it's a 2003.

3. 45 yr old woman, 1st run ever...stock - 14.7

So yeah I agree...you won't always get that nice number. It does take some skill.
-retired-
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Mercedes SLK55 AMG, in the states. Around 50k base. But in 2005, if you care to wait that long. That performance package is expensive but man, it makes that thing fly.

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_d ... 1&record=3
-retired-
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I know I'm pulling this from the hinterlands, but did you ever decide on a car? I'm actually pretty curious what car in that price range, you decided upon.