What was the LAST concert you attended?

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

What was the LAST concert you attended?

Post by Xyphir »

Inspired by the other thread about First concerts...

Mine - moe. at the 9:30 Club in DC (Feb 7th). Although the 9:30 Club is always smoke filled and crowded to the gills, it was a very enjoyable evening. The crowd was fantastic, which made the fact that it was so packed much more enjoyable. During the beginning of the second set, they brought out a cake for a couple of people who were celebrating their 100th show! It was my third so only 97 more to go!
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Last show I saw was Trans-Siberian Orchestra, over a year ago.

Next show I have tickets for is Dream Theater, gold level seats wuwu~
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Son Volt at the Varsity in Baton Rouge errrm eons ago it would seem
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Duncan Shiek at a local club. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was just him and the guitarist from his band. The two of them did an awesome job at his songs w/o the rest of the band and it ended up being much more intimate. My only gripe (and the gripe of the rest of the crowd) was that they didn't play "Barely Breathing".. I understand you get sick of a song and such, but when it's your biggest hit, people are expecting it..

Anyway, before that I think it was Sarah McLachlin.

For the most parts, I don't do concerts. They're overpriced and I'd rather just buy the DVD and watch it anytime I want. Who the hell pays $80-$300+ to see a popular band these days? Please..
Syenye Squirrellyelf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Syenye Squirrellyelf »

last halloween:
saves the day, taking back sunday, and moneen. was great, saves the day came out skipping around with "follow the yellow brick road" playing over the PA, decked out in wizard of oz costumes with chris as dorothy. started their set with a cover of "hey ya" and ended with "this is not an exit." great set, lots of old stuff, more than i expected.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Saw Sarah Brightman on Feb 3rd.

Mother was in town and she's a big fan so my wife and I went with.

Not the type of music I usually listen to but I really liked it nonetheless.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

R.E.M. @ Bumbershoot(music/arts fest) in Seattle last summer.
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Oh dear....if you rule out local acts, it was either:

Les Savy Fav / Bloodthirsty Lovers / Enon

or...

Broadcast
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Either Cowboy Mouth or Dido/Travis, been a couple of years.
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Belle and Sebastian, I think it was November
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

Jimmy Eat World~

last summer maybe?
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well, depends on if you define the Symphony as a concert. If not, then before that I think it was Sarah Brightman on the La Luna tour.

(On a side note, I wasn't too thrilled with that (La Luna) DVD. Eden was much better in that it was more about the music and less about the "MTv" quick camera edits. I hate when they apply the video format, with it's quick switches, to the recorded concert genre. The Eden interview also stomped all over the La Luna one. Hoping the Harem DVD, if there is one, will be better.)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

Aslanna wrote:Well, depends on if you define the Symphony as a concert.quote
Pending judgment on that, my last "concert" was St. Paul Chamber at the Ordway downtown St. Paul about 2months ago ...last concert in the typical sense was Marilyn Manson at Roy Wilkins auditorium last fall...
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

blondie. yes, i said blondie goddammit. they toured a few years ago for some reason and a work friend won tickets on some radio contest. her husband couldn't (wouldn't?) go with her, he was working or something. they performed at the joint in the hard rock hotel on the strip, which is a kickass venue for any show. seats something like 1,400. of course that means when somebody like bowie comes the tickets are $300+. :(
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Lalanae wrote:Belle and Sebastian, I think it was November
I missed that one. Seems it was raining and dreary, and my fianceé and I didn't really wanna make the trek down to Austin. We saw them...oh....I guess it was two years ago this coming May at the same place (the backyard?). They were really, really good. A great show, and a really cool venue. (And they played "Waking Up to Us"!)

Was the November show good?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Arundel Pajo wrote:
Lalanae wrote:Belle and Sebastian, I think it was November
I missed that one. Seems it was raining and dreary, and my fianceé and I didn't really wanna make the trek down to Austin. We saw them...oh....I guess it was two years ago this coming May at the same place (the backyard?). They were really, really good. A great show, and a really cool venue. (And they played "Waking Up to Us"!)

Was the November show good?
If you like their new stuff, then yes. I actually like the new direction (although their old stuff is golden) and Bakara was able to enjoy himself more than if they played mostly old stuff. Sarah was sick or something so she was a little raspy when she sang and kept nursing on a cup of something hot. I just wish I could have seen them when Isobel was still in the band...
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Yeah, I can't help but feel a wee bit cheated, myself. When we saw them, she was still *technically* in the band, but she had decided to go home right before the Austin show (claiming a sore throat), and wound up quitting the band like the next week, or something. We just barely missed her.
Elidain
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Elidain »

Last show for me was Sevendust at Hammersien Ballroom in NYC. Great Show. Next will be Ill Nino with Flaw, 40 Below Summer and Elemental 80 at the Starland Ballroom in Jersey can't wait.
Elidain Wrathbringer
Level 63 Wizard
Brewing Company
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

Just got back from a rave. Saw DJ Icey and Nick Warren.

Not counting raves would be a Perfect Circle last November.
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

yeah yeah yeahs, in a place the size of a small bar,
i threw my underpants onto stage, and have pictures of them in flight and everything!
the energy was outta hand
before that, interpol in a local warehouse/gig place(small for a band that big)
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I think my last was Korn on the Untouchables tour at the Tacoma Dome in Washington. The one I really want to go to right now is Coachella in CA - Pixes, Radiohead, and the Cure along with a lot of other cool bands. Drool.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: What was the LAST concert you attended?

Post by Xzion »

Xyphir wrote:Inspired by the other thread about First concerts...

Mine - moe. at the 9:30 Club in DC (Feb 7th). Although the 9:30 Club is always smoke filled and crowded to the gills, it was a very enjoyable evening. The crowd was fantastic, which made the fact that it was so packed much more enjoyable. During the beginning of the second set, they brought out a cake for a couple of people who were celebrating their 100th show! It was my third so only 97 more to go!
did they do a kick ass job w/ captain america?
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Ozzfest a year removed, was good. Was going to go see Godsmack/Metallica as they are coming but tickets are 100 bucks, fuck that.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Orbital at Brixton Academy. About 5 years ago.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

moneen

lalanae you saw belle and sebastian!?!?
*jealousy!*
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: What was the LAST concert you attended?

Post by Xyphir »

Xzion wrote:
Xyphir wrote:Inspired by the other thread about First concerts...

did they do a kick ass job w/ captain america?
moe. didn't play Capt. America.

Setlist:
Set I: Head> Big World, Puttin' the Boy Down, Mexico> Happy Hour Hero> Sensory Deprivation Bank
Set II: Spine Of A Dog> Another Chuck Tune> Yodelittle, Meat> Time Ed> Head
Encore: McBain, Queen Of The Rodeo
Second Encore: I Wanna Be Sedated> Spaz Medicine

Mexico was the first set barn-burner, and my personal highlight for the show. I thought it was pretty cool that they started and ended the show with Head. Meat in the second set was pretty smokin' too. The part that bugs me the most is when bands play cover tones for the encore. WTF?! I didn't come to see this band play some other bands songs!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

What the fuck were they thinking to not play captain america, that would piss the hell out of me if i went :?
Treeus
No Stars!

Post by Treeus »

A Perfect Circle last December.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Thrill Kill Kult
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :twisted:
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Pearl Jam a few years ago.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Xzion wrote:What the fuck were they thinking to not play captain america, that would piss the hell out of me if i went :?
If you're going to a 'jam band' concert expecting a certain song, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The essence of going to one of these shows is that you never know what to expect, and that generates a following. What a band plays is never as important as How they play. If you haven't before, try catching two or more consecutive shows. That way, you're chances of hearing the song you wanted are increased, as well as your chances for adventure.

I have seen String Cheese Incident going on 23 times now and have YET to hear them play Jellyfish. According to the statistics, the chances of that happening are 0.3%, but I ain't pissed. When I do get it, I'm sure it'll be one for the books... at least mine. :)
Swiiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Swiiter »

Les Savy Fav shows have to be the funnest shows I have ever been to. God they are great live.

I pretty much have just been going to to local shows lately. I went to a benefit a couple of weeks ago with like 20 or so hardcore bands. I'm not too into hardcore, but I do dig grind every once in a while (Spazz, Infest type stuff). My friend's band was playing it and they are easily the best powerviolence band in Houston so that was really my only reason for going.

There was this one "Oi" band that played that totally cracked me up. Can't remember the name, but all I could think of the whole time was that movie Romper Stomper. It was actually kinda more creepy than funny now that I think about it.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Xyphir wrote:
Xzion wrote:What the fuck were they thinking to not play captain america, that would piss the hell out of me if i went :?
If you're going to a 'jam band' concert expecting a certain song, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The essence of going to one of these shows is that you never know what to expect, and that generates a following. What a band plays is never as important as How they play. If you haven't before, try catching two or more consecutive shows. That way, you're chances of hearing the song you wanted are increased, as well as your chances for adventure.

I have seen String Cheese Incident going on 23 times now and have YET to hear them play Jellyfish. According to the statistics, the chances of that happening are 0.3%, but I ain't pissed. When I do get it, I'm sure it'll be one for the books... at least mine. :)
haha true, and when you do here STI play jellyfish the song alone will take up half the concert, I have a live STI CD where its about 18 minutes long 8)
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Swiiter wrote:

Les Savy Fav shows have to be the funnest shows I have ever been to. God they are great live.

I pretty much have just been going to to local shows lately. I went to a benefit a couple of weeks ago with like 20 or so hardcore bands. I'm not too into hardcore, but I do dig grind every once in a while (Spazz, Infest type stuff). My friend's band was playing it and they are easily the best powerviolence band in Houston so that was really my only reason for going.

There was this one "Oi" band that played that totally cracked me up. Can't remember the name, but all I could think of the whole time was that movie Romper Stomper. It was actually kinda more creepy than funny now that I think about it.
hehe.... oh yes, I <3 Les Savy Fav's live shows. So much fun, and I dance my ass off. First time I saw them was a Halloween show - Tim was wearing a little gold-lamé speedo, a cape, and a pair of rubber vampire fangs. He went around in the audience as he was singing biting people on the neck and giving them fangs out of a plastic bag. It was great! ^_^
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Saw a local band called So Fine at Mt Tabor here in Portland a couple months ago. Pretty good. Heavy rock with a chick singer. She had a gorgeous voice! :D Turns out she is into GWAR so I was like <3 <3. Too bad she ain't single.. :P

Last show I saw before I moved was Death By Stereo @ the Troubador in Hollywood. That was some good shit.
en kærlighed småkager
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Tom Petty about 3 years ago. So close to the stage I could see his eye color (blue btw), that was the best concert EVAR!!!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Update:

Melvins, last night
Damiarch
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Damiarch »

A Perfect Circle last December.
Damn you! I didn't act fast enough. All the gold was gone!
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Damiarch wrote:
Damn you! I didn't act fast enough. All the gold was gone!
Holy shit was it a good show. My fourth DT concert and probably best one yet. Got to see them play "A Fortune in Lies" and "Under a Glass Moon". Someone recorded a good boot of the show that is available through the bit torrent or pm me for CDs.

And I feel your pain Dam, I *really* wanted Platinum but they were gone 3 hours after tickets went on sale. A friend got the Platinum seats, ended up with front row, right side, right in front of John Petrucci *cry*
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I saw Ween at the Roseland Ballroom in October
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

How is a Ween show? I've been a fan of theirs for a long time but never had the chance to see them live. I would imagine that they'd be very entertaining.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Alfan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Alfan »

Ben Folds or Radiohead :/ i can't remember . . . both were great (but U2 was the best ever).

-Alfan
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Update:

String Cheese Incident @ Fillmore Auditorium in Denver - March 11th, 12th, and 13th! :D

We flew out on the 10th, and stayed a few extra days to take in the splendor that is Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park. The shows were great (not Spectacular, but still great!), and the venue was very nice. If you haven't been to the Fillmore, I highly recommend it. The only drawback is it's owned by Clear Channel. Beers were VERY expensive, but they had waitresses dancing through the crowds. They opened up the seating right behind the stage, and we were back there for the second set on the 12th. It was amazing to look down at the band and out onto the crowd and feel the vibe.

Mofro opened on the 11th, David Lindley & Wally Ingram opened on the 12th, and Vassar Clements played an acoustic first set with SCI on the 13th. We saw aftershows as well.

Ratdog (Bobby Wier's band) with Special Guest Derek Trucks @ 9:30 Club in Washington, DC - March 31st

Setlist:
I: Dark Star Jam > Jack Straw > All Along the Watchtower* > Dark Star* > Odessa*, Ramble On Rose, She Says > Two Djinn
II: Black-Throated Wind > Corrina, Bury Me Standing > Scarlet Begonias > Ashes and Glass, Bass/Drums/Keys/KB > Standing on the Moon > Dark Star > Throwing Stones
E: Foolish Heart
*with Derek Trucks

I never thought I would ever get into the Grateful Dead. I know, Bobby Wier is NOT the Dead. Whatever your thoughts or opinions are on the music and the scene you cannot deny the impact that they had on American culture and music. I'll admit, the show was really good. 9:30 Club is certainly not my favorite venue in DC. Security is so tight people know better than to puff down. I had some kid beside me quaff his fair share of drinks and he looked downright ill by the middle of the second set. Aside from that, everyone around us was having a grate time. The Watchtower was fitting since Dylan was playing in DC just a few weeks later. Derek Trucks is lightning fast on the slide. Jack Straw is one of my wife's faves, so she was beaming as we left.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Sylvus wrote:How is a Ween show? I've been a fan of theirs for a long time but never had the chance to see them live. I would imagine that they'd be very entertaining.
They're amazing live. Its so much better to see them perform rather than listen to their CDs... The whole crowd sang along to songs like Big Jilm, Booze Me Up And Get Me High, Happy Colored Marbles, You Fucked Up, The Blarny Stone, If You Could Save Yourself... they played for a solid three hours at that show, was amazing.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To