/em waves goodbye to job

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

/em waves goodbye to job

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The owner of our company died 4 months ago. Thie siblings closed down and sold one office and just told us today that ours will also be gone within 60 days.

This has been a record year for us too, with an Increased Booking Award, 2 Quality Awards, and we doubled last years profit in the first 7 months of this year. My boss just dosen't want to work at this location anymore, so he's closing us down and selling the property/equipment.

You know, you work hard, give 110%, show up every single day for 4.5 years, and this is the thanks you get. I'm feeling a bit unhappy right now. It dosen't help to know thatmy boss is building his 2nd house on lakefront property in Alpena, MI. Each sibling is worth millions.

They want me in their 3rd and final office, but I would have to commute one hour-ish both ways, and winter is right around the corner. Not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably play the game and see what they'll offer me. I know I am greatly appreciated, but I'm still pissed at the way they handled everything. They completely blindsided every single employee.
Ennia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ennia »

that sucks, but unless you know you can get same or better close to home I'd consider that hour commute. It's not bad, I do that every day.

Depending on the situation your employer might even let you off early in case of some bad weather coming or something. Just gotta communicate.

oh and *HUGS* just for good measure :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Where are you at, Fair, and where's the new job? And what was/is your job description, anyway?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

negotiate some work from home time.

get a laptop, have them pay your home high speed connection, etc.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I'd do what Vor suggested, while looking for another job in case it doesn't work out. An hour in good weather gets unpleasant in bad.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i mean if you could do 1 or 2 days a week from home that would definitely sweaten the pie. might as well ask for a raise too, wtf.
Lexien
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lexien »

Sorry to hear that Fair, hope you can come up with some sort of arrangement.

Working from home is a nice option dpending on what kind of job you have.

You could also ask for a compressed schedule, like work 12 hours for about 4 days and get 3 days off, they offered those around here.. The shifts are long. but in the end you end up working the same amount of time in 4 days instead of 5 and you get an extra day to realx and do what you want.
65 Deceiver
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

At least get a payrise covering the travelling costs and extra length of the working day.
Personally I'd be looking for a new job so I could tell them to poke it.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

absolutely look for a new job, but try to make this one as good as possible for yourself in the event you cant find something good.
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

I concur with Voronwe's advice. but I'll go a step further.

I work for a company where they have cut 401K matching, have reneged on raises, bonuses and cut benefits. Moral is low and resentment is high.

There was just a spread in a local rag on how our leader has a 16,000 sq ft beachfront house in Cabo. I say good for him. If I had his cash I'd do the same thing. What is the point of being filthy rich if you can't piss on the worker bee? I'm drentched in urine.

Now the item that does stick in most of our craws is the fact that our company is still sponsoring a NAS-Truck. Corrrect. $1.8 MM a year for a NAS-truck. Sweet mother of Jesus.

I can't attend a training class, but bubba can have his toys.

Sorry to digress Fairweather Pure ... sounds like you are a cog in the company they wish to retain. Press for the Home base .. and play online games all fucking day. Nos, Neost and Ogbar can tell you the benefits of this.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

That sucks fair :(
I have nothing to add to the good advice above about trying to work from home or negotiating a really sweet deal.
But as I also have an hour each way commute to work everyday, so I can offer advice on that, it blows.
When you add up the time you could be spending with your family/friends/TV.. (jk) in a year instead of sitting in a car, it's not worth it in my opinion, even if they give you a hefty raise.
Unless you don't like your family/friends, then its considered quiet time.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

rhyae wrote:That sucks fair :(
I have nothing to add to the good advice above about trying to work from home or negotiating a really sweet deal.
That's kinda what I was about to say! ;)

If you have to commute so much, you have an opportunity to negotiate for more even if they do give you a decent raise. Then I'd reccommend
working for a while and looking for a new job at a higher rate. ;)

-=Lohrno
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This doesn't bode well for my post count staying ahead of Fairweathers!

Good luck with your job situation Fair.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Couple of things

If they are offering you a position, chances are you will get absolutely no severance should you decide against it.

There are a ton of people that travel over an hour each way to work.

Companies do this crap all of the time and it freakin sucks. I was working for a company called Beneficial as an actuary turned financial analyst for about 4 1/2 years as well. The company was so nice to work for as the office campus is truly legendary. As a result, the whole damn company was a bunch of lifers. Noone ever left to go anywhere else. It was also posting record years to boot. Shitcanned about 90% of the home office and sent them packing . The company's stock more than doubled from the time the announcement they were searching for alternatives to the time they finally sent the remaining 200 employees to a dinky office building 20 miles away. The CEO, finn casperson, was in the middle of building a 15,000 sq foot home in north jersey and was considering political moves at the time of the announcement. 1,800 people at the home office lost their jobs while Finn made about 300 million on the deal.

To sum, do not leave your job w/out having another one lined up. Companies don't give bonuses based on how big of a martyr you can be. If you quit, you'll be up a creek if you don't have a job lined up.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Yeah, I've worked from home quite a bit and it sure can lend to the online play time. Thanks for killing my cover, Seebs....

But everyone is correct. They want you around, get them to help you out too. If you job can be done from home, ask for it. The downside to that is you also become the target for any late work that needs to be done, i.e., I got called at 3am this morning. I get called at 3am lots of mornings.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Don't forget that crusty little bastage Zeepnome. He's in the same racket but he's too lazy to deal with so nobody calls him at 3am.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I work for a major moving company. My official position would be "Move Coordinator" or "Office Manager", but that's pretty much dumbing down the job. I would say I'm highly specialized in moving at this point. So much goes on behind the scenes, and that is all the crap I do. Kissing account ass, making customers happy, coordinating all aspects of a move from start to finish, all the paperwork, setting up labor, yadda-yadda-yadda.

So, I basically backed myself into a corner of sorts. At first glance, I'm nothing but a glorified secretary. It would be very hard to get a job based upon my resume alone. Luckily, I am a great employee. But getting your foot in the door to prove that point is the hard part.

Working from home would not be possible with this job since the moving industry is still very much a "paper" company. I'm thinking about starting fresh, but I don't even know where or what I want to do. Being 28 and unemployed is not where one wants to find himself. Especially in today's economy and having only 1 year of college under my belt. (moved back to MI during school, divorce, had to work, ect.)

Btw, this is the FOURTH company that has left me standing with my dick in my hand as the owners sold and moved on. FOURTH. I feel like an albatross.
This doesn't bode well for my post count staying ahead of Fairweathers!
Heh, well, I don't think I'll find another job where I can surf at will during downtime, so I'd say you're secure in the #9 spot. For now... :lol:
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

I feel your pain Fair

Since I have been a civilian;

Company 1 demanded that I lie repeatedly to a client to maintain my position
Company 2 lost all of it's most technical people in one day, then went belly up and was involved in things that were not cool at the end
Company 3 Decided to cut down to the number of employees that had the same last name or were married to or sleeping with one of the former.
Company 4 only hires temps
Company 5 is great, but I can see it having signs of deceit and misleading its employees already

As a result my resume looks like I job hop, when all I want is a steady job.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Poor Fairweather :( Sorry to hear that.

Jobs from home teh rule!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

As a result my resume looks like I job hop, when all I want is a steady job.
Exactely. That sums everything up in a nutshell.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Company 5 is great, but I can see it having signs of deceit and misleading its employees already
If anyone knows of a company that DOESNT do this as standard I'd love to hear about it.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

My company. http://www.massconnections.com

the best job I have ever had... ever
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Two corporate downsizings and one departmental budget reduction in my corner. It's not the scrubs, it's the rabid scrub-ers.

The college thing is going to be tough. However, if you're a great schmoozer, detail oriented, and very organized, you'd probably make a kick-ass salesman and I'm not talking retail shit. Not many fields overlook the college but a good sales manager will if you got the goods. It's not for the risk-averse, but it can be very lucrative
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Go back to school man. Now that you are 28, you would be considered a non-traditional student. There is a load of money to be had through grants and/or student loans if you look a little bit on the internet or contact the financial aid clerk at the college. Hell move back into the dorms and get some young poontang while your at it. Bubba lived in the dorms till he was 29 and he got more poon than anyone else I know. If you don't get some kind of further education then you will be most likely working shit jobs the rest of your life and companies will piss on you every step of the way.

This is the reality in America today. Companies have to show a profit or they get downsized first. Shit always rolls downhill and hits the guys at the bottom. I worked for 3 different companies my first year out of college and the biggest lesson I learned was that companies will say right to your face how much they love you while sharpening the knife behind their back. Always look out for number one...YOU!

Deward
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

Get some venture capital and make an offer on the final location. Leverage the accounts with the bank and become the owner.

Cheers
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

lol - I have you all beat. I worked for WorldCom and went from being the Product Manager of a $60m product line one day to being out on my ass with news that the bankruptcy they were about to file would nulify any severance package the next.

Seriously, Pure - chin up, take the transfer to cover yourself and look for something better.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

lol - I have you all beat. I worked for WorldCom and went from being the Product Manager of a $60m product line one day to being out on my ass with news that the bankruptcy they were about to file would nulify any severance package the next.
When I was in Arkansas, A Books/Video/Music store opened up in our small town and I was hired as the manager of the music section. I helped open the store. The Store Manager was a complete waste of space. She completely fucked up any and everything you could imagine. She lasted 3 months and was fired for taking money off the top and working 30 hors a week. I get promoted to store manager with the task to fix everything that was fucked up. I had to fire every single employee and rehire replacements in a town of about 4,000. I then had to re-enter over 25,000 stock items into the computer database properly. After I did all that and turned our profits from the red into the green, I was informed that I was to train the CEO's grandson on how to be a store manager. One month later, they told me that I had done a great job as intern store manager for the previous 8 months, but now the grandson would be replacing me. They wanted me to step down and take a pay cut. I told them to eat my shit.

BUT IT GETS BETTER!

I left that job and was hired at a grocery store with the intent of being groomed for the store manager position (the current store manager was moving on). However, company policy dictated that I work as a regular employee for 90 days before getting promoted to manager. In that time, I learned all the ropes, went to "grocery store manager school", and eventually my 90 days were up. The day I was promoted, the company filed for chapter 11 and everyone was given notice that our location would be closed along with most of the others. All you peeps from Arkansas are probably fimiliar with Harvest Foods.

So yeah, I'm rather used to getting the short end of the stick when it comes to jobs. Not that it mattered for the grocery store. I'm not really a grocery store kind of guy. But honestly, in Batesville Arkansas, beggers couldn't afford to be choosers.

Why can't I just win the lotto? Party at my place if I do.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Fairweather, someone already mentioned the non-traditional student thing. You should really consider going back to school. A college diploma will open more doors and at least get you an interview where your personality and "people skills" kick in.
Moongrinn
No Stars!

Post by Moongrinn »

Join the national gaurd, they pay about 500 a week for college students,(700 if you take ROTC) only costs you your weekends for about 2-4 years. Which is probably one of the more admirable/benefitial ways to get out of a jam.
-Not-So-Retired-
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

School is a definate consideration. My GF works in the financial aid dept at Western Michigan University. Maybe I can work something out. I'm just sick of always getting shit on. Only problem is that I also have bills to pay, and school dosen't pay the rent.

Everything will work out in the end. Sometimes change is good.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

I felt the pinch last year.
-retired-
Elbryan Wyndon
No Stars!

Post by Elbryan Wyndon »

Sorry about your job troubles.
Elbdon Veritas 51st Season Human Ranger
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Kylere wrote:I feel your pain Fair

Company 2 lost all of it's most technical people in one day, then went belly up and was involved in things that were not cool at the end
Company 3 Decided to cut down to the number of employees that had the same last name or were married to or sleeping with one of the former.
Company 1 you were fired
Company 2 you were laid off
Company 3 you were fired
Company 4 they didn't like you
Company 5 you're probably going to get fired
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Harvest Foods has made a modest comeback around here. All of the old stores were eventually closed and they consolidated into fewer stores with a more modern approach and have Citgo gas stations in the parking lot now for the most part.

Which one did you work at Fair? The one that the kid got shot in the parking lot a few years back and they made such a stink about white gangs around here?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Harvest Foods went belly up. They were bought out by another grocery store chain, but they kept the Harvest Foods name on certian store locations. I worked at the one in Batesville, Ar. Kroger (I think) bought our store and was moved in about 2 months after we officially closed. They kept perhaps 1/10th of our staff, and no managment at all.

OK, that is wierd. You know that guy that was shot you were just talking about? He was the brother of the manager that trained me and was moving on to another store. Small world.
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Join the national gaurd, they pay about 500 a week for college students,(700 if you take ROTC) only costs you your weekends for about 2-4 years. Which is probably one of the more admirable/benefitial ways to get out of a jam

Wrong. The National Guard pays about 500 * The GI Bill 280-375, plus 170-210 for 1 weekend a month drill * A MONTH not a week.ROTC you make a higher GI Bill and a gold to green bonus of like 75-100 dollars. So almost 700 dollars a month.

Plus if you join now, theres a 70% chance you will go to Iraq or somewhere around there.They are useing National Guard units for Active duty 1 year tours at diffrent locations around the world now, not just active duty units.

Also. Dont worry about them closeing down work. Bush is giving them a Tax Break for it. So its all good.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I think this quote sums up most of my late employers (barring one notable exception..)

"I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddam common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!" ~ Gunnery Sergeant Hartman; Full Metal Jacket.
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Deward wrote:Hell move back into the dorms and get some young poontang while your at it. Bubba lived in the dorms till he was 29 and he got more poon than anyone else I know.
Any truth that he was a man-whore back then? :)
Shit, I love women but he must've been more than just a possible sex addict!
aka Trake Daddy 65 Overlord, Cestus Dei [retired]
Diamonds are a girl's blow job enabler
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

kyoukan wrote:
Kylere wrote:I feel your pain Fair

Company 1 you were fired
Company 2 you were laid off
Company 3 you were fired
Company 4 they didn't like you
Company 5 you're probably going to get fired
Wow amazing just how ignorant you can prove yourself to be. Perhaps you need to go back to attacking the US as a whole, your random utterances will get more attention when they are less easy to factually disprove.

1. I resigned in protest
2. I resigned when all three CCIE's walked on the same day and no one would admit to that being a problem, but the only people not packing their desks were sales people
3. I was offered part time, did it for a few months, played too much EQ as a result and quit.
4. They do not hire technical people they only hire temps, so like dislike is kind of moot
5. Nah I could retire here, but it is in the wrong state, so I will officially be jumping this one job

So Resigned, Resigned, Resigned, N/A, and relocating.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Melrin_Specclaster
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Melrin_Specclaster »

Hmmm, havent thought about it before, lets see

Company 1) Worked for salesman, got tired of him lying to customers, and getting jerked around. I quit and went to the job I came across while working for him.
Company 2) Political friend came in, didnt like me, wouldnt extend contract so I went to the next job of somebody I met at the DMV at a 3 state ISP
Company 3) ISP sold out to Intermedia and during the confusion of close outs, firings etc, I quit and went back to Company 2 under a different department
Company 4) Finished school but took 3 pay cuts to do it, quit 3 months before graduation cause it was too much flak and lived on a line of credit. Got interviews while here that landed me at
Company 5) Been here over 3 years, avoided the tech layoffs, have had 4 managers but back with a stellar manager who I like and he likes me. So I'm lucky there.

Just remember, 80% of the people at the top are looking out for themself or other people of the top. If you're not one of the people at the top, you're nobody. You play the game almost like poker. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and how you play it sometimes doesnt keep you from losing. Good luck on whatever you decide, but whether you stay or leave, you're still playing the game.
Coercer