SCORE !!!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

Etasi wrote:
Clatis wrote:I never said you couldn't have an opinion bout him i said not to flame the man.
Same thing?
nah, big difference from expressing your distain for him in a normal manner and saying that he is horrible unoriginal suck, though this is VV and flaming is the norm so not much we can complain about if someone wants to flame =/

EDIT~i just realized that generally flaming is the normal manner here so nvm :P
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

wait, so i get the point this round?
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Drolgin, it all boils down to personal taste. I love DMB, and after reading your post, I would TOTALLY agree with your post if your opinions of DMB and U2 were switched. I fucking HATE new U2 ( I lost interest after "Joshua Tree")
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

I always thouht U2 sounded like a really gay boy band...like LFO or N'sync

Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

U2 has more talent and creativity in their pinky finger than DMB does in the whole band. =)

I don't care for U2's newer stuff as much as the old stuff, but it's still good. And they are IRISH, so obviously they are superior.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

im not familiar with U2's old stuff, i know his new shit looked like he was trying to become a pop band, or crappy rock band, whatever their last one they made and it was on like mtv and stuff (BTW MTV SUcks ass Now. VH1 > MTV)

And I think Carter Beauford is one of the most talented drummers in the world, the drum set he uses has more drumbs snares, etc than any other drum set used by a band ....he's drummber in DMB

Dave was born in South Africa, thats pretty cool

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Xouqoa wrote:And they are IRISH, so obviously they are superior.

This is true, although I think U2 are teh weak~
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

I think there are a couple good songs on U2's latest album.

i saw them in concert about a year ago and it was really good. not as good as they were like 10 years ago, but still good.

as for Dave Matthews, i guess they are OK. they have some guys who are talented at playing their instruments. Definitely moreso than U2. But there is a lot more to it than merely technical proficiency. And they are different kinds of bands too.

I actually started playing guitar because i thought the solo's on "Under A Blood Red Sky" were so cool. Obviously the guy isnt the most skilled guitar player in the world, but i like the way he plays =).
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

Ya, like Dave is amazing at the guitar, Carter Beauford pwns the drums, their Saxophonist LeRoi Moore is damn good at that thing, Boyd Tinsley is just flat out fuckin amazing at the electric violin , and Stephan Lessard is good at base...but he kinda looks funny when he tries to dance n stuff, yea,

I think ill DL that song "Under A Blood Red Sky" you were talk'n bout

Oh, and a talented guitarist = Tim Reynolds, download somethin of his, its incredible the talent and finger speed that man possesses (is that how many s's are s'pose to be in possesses?)

Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

"Under A Blood Red Sky" is the album name =)
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Xouqoa wrote:U2 has more talent and creativity in their pinky finger than DMB does in the whole band. =)

I don't care for U2's newer stuff as much as the old stuff, but it's still good. And they are IRISH, so obviously they are superior.
Creativity, yes.
Talent? Not a snowballs chance in hell!!! ALL the members of DMB are so fucking musically talented, it's simply amazing! I only found this out after seeing them live.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Clatis wrote:Dave was born in South Africa, thats pretty cool
Yeah, Apartheid RULES!1!!

I know absolutely nothing about Dave Mathews except that they sell out very large venues even though I've never heard a song from them. Go figure.

As far as preferring deeper music as you get older, I have to say I disagree. I have found that I really only listen to oldie or classic rock stations whenever I'm actually listening to music. This is quite a change from my mid to late 20's when I actually cared about listening to lyrics. Now I just want something that I can sing along with and sounds catchy. Makes me set aside the real pressing issues in my life for just a little while
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Voronwë wrote:"Under A Blood Red Sky" is the album name =)
Lol. I caught this a little late. Almost spit water on my monitor :lol:
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

feel'n stupid ...

rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

DMB concert fans suck, an arena full of drunk, rude, spoiled college kids is not something I want to do again. They werent even listening to him.
BNL are amazing live, funny as hell and make up stuff as they go.
Phish fans are fun, nothing like a bunch of smelly hippies selling hot cheese grillies and veggie buritos.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

rhyae wrote:DMB concert fans suck, an arena full of drunk, rude, spoiled college kids is not something I want to do again. They werent even listening to him.
BNL are amazing live, funny as hell and make up stuff as they go.
Phish fans are fun, nothing like a bunch of smelly hippies selling hot cheese grillies and veggie buritos.
I don't know where you saw their show, bu it's nothing like the ones I've been to! Except maybe the drunkeness part :o

Watch the Listen Supported DvD...that'll give you an idea on how talented they are, and the fan support.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

yea, dmb concerts are aweome you should go with me sometime =P

btw WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT CABLE IS BIZACK time to take this 56k pos modem outside for a game of baseball

bleh, with faster modem come faster pop ups =/ weeee now im gonna go on kazaa and find a pop up stoppa, and probly get more virus's n shit =/

Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

Deneve wrote:nah, big difference from expressing your distain for him in a normal manner and saying that he is horrible unoriginal suck, though this is VV and flaming is the norm so not much we can complain about if someone wants to flame =/
What exactly is a "normal manner" when it comes to expressing my disdain? I'm not allowed to say that I think DMB's music "fucking sucks ass" just because they're famous?

The only reason to be polite about expressing my dislike for anything on these boards is to keep from offending other posters. But then, I can tell my RL friends how much I hate the stuff they love without having to reassure them that I respect them just as much in spite of disagreeing, so I ought to be able to do the same on VV, no?

Just because something or someone you like is famous doesn't mean other people ought to feel restricted in how much they can publically hate said person or thing. If for some reason Dave Matthews read this board, then yes, I would refrain from saying "DMB fucking sucks," but until he does, I see no reason to limit the expression of my dislike.
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
beasted
No Stars!

Post by beasted »

Not that I really care all that much, but...

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion, and have every right to state that you think Dave "fucking sucks ass".

But that doesn't mean it's not an ignorant statement.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it "fucking sucks". I don't like to watch N'sync dance around like fairies on my TV screen, but that doesn't mean that they're shitty dancers.

Have some fucking respect... jesus christ.
Sovereign
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I don't see how "Y sucks" is a less valid statement than "Y r0x0rz, wooooot".

In hindsight, I suppose my first post should have looked something like this:
I am happy that you are looking forward to your upcoming concert experience with Dave Matthews Band (DMB). Personally, it is my (and only my) opinion that DMB is of less than optimal quality. Their music is not to my taste, I do not appreciate their lyrics and Mr. Matthews himself has a personality I find rather off-putting.
There.

Edit: because coffee doesn't work instantly.
Last edited by Drolgin Steingrinder on August 8, 2003, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it "fucking sucks".
Yes it fucking does!
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Haha Drolgin

I liek teh Janis Joplin and Jeff Buckley.
Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

beasted wrote:Not that I really care all that much, but...

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion, and have every right to state that you think Dave "fucking sucks ass".

But that doesn't mean it's not an ignorant statement.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it "fucking sucks". I don't like to watch N'sync dance around like fairies on my TV screen, but that doesn't mean that they're shitty dancers.

Have some fucking respect... jesus christ.
How exactly is it ignorant for me to state that *I* think DMB "fucking sucks" (which, incidentally, I never actually said on this thread, but that's okay)? Ignorant of what, exactly? If it's my opinion that DMB fucking sucks, and the last time I checked, violent dislike still counts as a valid opinion, then I fail to see how accurately stating my own opinion qualifies as ignorance. Did I say that everyone who likes DMB is a retard? No. Did I say that everyone else in the world hates DMB as much as I do? No.

In no way does saying "DMB fucking sucks" imply anything other than that I'm stating my own opinion about the band. I'm certainly not arrogant enough to pretend that my opinion counts as scientific fact, nor, would I imagine, are most of the posters on this board, so what exactly is the point in admonishing others not to be "ignorant"?

And, "have some fucking respect"? For what? For the feelings of other posters? Well as I already stated, I come from a world in which people are allowed to disagree with one another, and where you can disagree with someone all day long without losing one iota of respect for them. The question of respect should not even come up in relation to a statement of musical preference, when no insinuations are made about the character of those posters of a different preference, as indeed none were made in this thread.

Why does this rampant fanboyism always have to rear its ugly head in threads like this? Do you really think Dave Matthews cares if some person out there on the internet thinks he sucks? Does it really matter to you so much that other people might utterly loathe his music? The moral high ground you think you're taking on this one, beasted, does not actually exist.

Edit: typing is hard
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Lol this thread was a surprise...much entertainment in the stupidity factor of the DMB defense alliance.

THE COALITION MUST KEEP TRYING, despite being critically underequiped when it comes to a wit check.
dast911
No Stars!

Post by dast911 »

Burke wrote:
Not that it matters anyway, concerts are a fucking ripoff these days
Not if you know how to shop, hehe.
Check this out:
http://www.liveonpenn.com

Got to see They Might Be Giants, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Arrested Development, Bicycle Thieves, and Nicki Barr for 3$.

Granted I was only there to see TMBG, but 3 bucks is cheaper than a movie rental.

BTW, TMBG really know how to have fun on stage. They know how to do a great show.
atlanta has a similar concert type thing for 3$ called on the bricks, wanna say hootie and the blowfish (bleh), the clarks, liz phair and some other folks were there tonight.
Krindol
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Krindol »

I have had more strenuous bowel movements than Dave Matthews band had creative ideas.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Dave Matthews does fucking suck ass. I say the same thing about U2 too!
Krindol
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Krindol »

U2? really? not that I think bonno is any great artist, but they do have their share of exceptional hits
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

I paid $7 dollars once to see U2 - great show, even though we had to put up with the slam dancers near the stage.
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

people who slam dance through U2 are trying too hard
Gumurok
No Stars!

Post by Gumurok »

hah, Dave, dont like dmb ..
---
65 Ogre Shammy! Serving you since January 27'th 2000. 222 AA's
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'll say it: Dave Matthews Band sucks ass and if you are a fan of them, then by extension, you suck just as hard.

And before you reply just think about this: Why would I care about your opinion if you suck?
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

DMB is talented, but they are wasted talent, kinda like Van Halen. Sure they can pump out Sorority girl music faster than Acies pumps his penis, but that doesn't mean the shit is any good. When you're around a chick, you have to pretend to like the shit if you wanna get laid though. If you're a dude and actually like DMB, I will assume that you are suffering from testosterone deficiency.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

that fast?
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Xyun wrote:DMB is talented, but they are wasted talent, kinda like Van Halen. Sure they can pump out Sorority girl music faster than Acies pumps his penis, but that doesn't mean the shit is any good. When you're around a chick, you have to pretend to like the shit if you wanna get laid though. If you're a dude and actually like DMB, I will assume that you are suffering from testosterone deficiency.

Man, sorry about your dick, Xyun.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

:vv_confused:
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.