The Last of Us (PS3)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Last of Us (PS3)

Post by Winnow »

Huge game (32GB)

Haven't had a chance to play much except for the first few minutes. Graphics are pretty amazing as are the character animations, audio, environment, etc. I thought I was watching a pre-rendered scene which turned out to be the actual game.

Has a 96 rating over on Metacritic which, if holds, places it right behind GTA IV in the all time game rankings.

Should be a great game (except for having to use the PS3 controller)

With as good as this game looks, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the Xbox One and PS4 in a year or so.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: The Last of Us (PS3)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I forgot this was coming out this week, definitely picking it up on the way home. This will be the first game I've played in a couple of months aside from Final Fantasy 3 on my phone, excited.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I was curious until I found out it was another fucking zombie game.

Pass.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I really enjoyed what I played at PAX. It's a good looking game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I was curious until I found out it was another fucking zombie game.

Pass.
You sound like Aslanna!

When a game is extremely high quality, I care more about its execution and give more leeway as to what it's about.

I don't like zombie anything, or thought I didn't until Walking Dead. I still don't like Zombie movies, comics, etc in general but I still named the Walking Dead Episodic game my 2012 GOTY.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Lame zombie crap: Pass.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Zombies are a cheap copout when you can't be bothered to create a decent bad guy/enemy..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Zombies are a cheap copout when you can't be bothered to create a decent bad guy/enemy..
Agreed in general but as with Walking Dead, it's not really the zombies that make the story great. It's all about the character development and also, in the case of a game, the mechanics.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's funny, I'm actually taking a honors seminar right now called "Surviving the zombie apocalypse" at school - and I'm going to use this game as the focal point of the long ass paper I have to write as my final project. Apparently when you're the president of the college, you can make whatever classes you want.

I thought it would be relatively easy, but it's turned out to be the most homework I've had for any class yet (and it's only a 1 credit class). At any rate, as far as social/moral/ethical issues, zombie movies and zombies in general (and their roots, etc) have far more depth than most anything else, I just don't pay attention to this kind of stuff generally when I'm watching movies.

My point being, I think zombies are far from a cop-out. Generally, there are increases in zombie related movies/etc when there are times of unrest (war, etc), and considering the state of the affairs of the world the past decade, the influx we've seen makes perfect sense. It's a way for people to tell a good story while providing relevant social commentary in a way that doesn't come off as preachy (again, I didn't even notice it prior to this class).

And with some of the shit that you guys play that I'm surprised anyone with a sound mind would pay more than 50 cents for, I'm amazed you would pass something up that's got the kind of acclaim this game does... It's that time of the console generation we're in where some really awesome shit is going to come out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:And with some of the shit that you guys play that I'm surprised anyone with a sound mind would pay more than 50 cents for, I'm amazed you would pass something up that's got the kind of acclaim this game does...
Some people just don't like certain genres regardless of how much "acclaim" a game might get (although Polygon only gave it 7.5/10!). For example a sports game could have a 100% rating on Metacritic and I'd still have zero interest in playing it. Naughty Dog makes some good games but I'd rather have Uncharted 4 over LoU. Maybe that will be a PS4 launch title!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:And with some of the shit that you guys play that I'm surprised anyone with a sound mind would pay more than 50 cents for, I'm amazed you would pass something up that's got the kind of acclaim this game does...
Some people just don't like certain genres regardless of how much "acclaim" a game might get (although Polygon only gave it 7.5/10!). For example a sports game could have a 100% rating on Metacritic and I'd still have zero interest in playing it. Naughty Dog makes some good games but I'd rather have Uncharted 4 over LoU. Maybe that will be a PS4 launch title!

That's unacceptable. (except for Nintendo games which all suck)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Blah, 99.9% of the time reviews aren't out before the game is, so I figured this had been released, but not till next Friday. Shitty.