Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Netflix - House of Cards

Post by Winnow »

Starring Keven Spacey

This is Netflix first original programming with more to come. I watched the first episode...eh, it's ok. Will watch another to see how it goes.

I do like that Netflix is creating original programming with the intent of being like HBO in that area.

The entire first season has been posted all at once:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/House ... s/70178217
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Netflix - House of Cards

Post by Kluden »

I think Lilyhammer is/was their first in house project...I didn't mind it, kind of funny at times. Will have to give this House of Cards a shot.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Anybody watched it? I'm through episode 6 at the moment. Seems to be an engaging drama at this juncture. Last I read it got renewed for a second season.
Last edited by Aslanna on March 22, 2013, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think I've seen three episodes. It's OK but Spacey's fake accent kind of annoys me at times.

I'll most likely watch the rest of it.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I saw the entire series in a hurry. It starts well and only gets better. Truly magnificent show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm sure most already read this but Netflix continues to do the right things:
Netflix teams up with the Wachowskis & J. Michael Straczynski for its next original show

Making sure it has a well-rounded lineup of original TV shows, Netflix is working with Matrix creators the Wachowskis and Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski on a new sci-fi drama called Sense8, the company announced today.

The show is described as “a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted,” which is pretty vague, but I’m sure more details will surface in the coming months, as is the case with most sci-fi projects. The show’s first season will run 10 episodes and is tentatively scheduled to make its debut sometime in 2014, according to Netflix.

“Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos in a statement. “Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can’t wait to bring Sense8 to life.”

Jumping into sci-fi is an insanely smart move for Netflix, and if the new show is good, it could end up securing subscriber numbers on a long-term basis. (Seriously, I know people who would gladly pay $8 per month just for another 10 episodes of Firefly.)

And judging from the creators, there’s every indication Sense8 will be good. The Wachowskis are wildly talented film makers with the Matrix Trilogy, Cloud Atlas, and V For Vendetta under their belts. And Straczynski is a fan favorite in the comic book and TV world. He’s also uniquely qualified to run a show that’s tailored for a premium service like Netflix. His first big hit was Babylon 5, a political sci-fi show similar in scope to Star Trek that initially aired on Showtime.

Netflix has already seen success with its original political drama House of Cards and is set to debut a handful of other original shows this year, including a new season of Arrested Development, Eli Roth’s Hemlock Grove, Weeds creator Jenji Kohan’s Orange Is the New Black, and Dreamworks children’s show Turbo F.A.S.T.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Matrix is a movie I find overrated. It has in interesting storyline but other than a few decent action sequences it's pretty fucking boring.

And the second and third one sucked.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:The Matrix is a movie I find overrated. It has in interesting storyline but other than a few decent action sequences it's pretty fucking boring.

And the second and third one sucked.
I thought the first Matrix movie was outstanding. I'll agree with the second and third one being forgettable. My friend bought all the tickets for an entire movie theater for less than 20 people to watch on opening night for the Matrix III. It didn't help the movie from still sucking but it was a fun night!

As with many movie series, it should have been a one shot.

People seem to think that Babylon 5 had a great story. I've never watched it so can't comment.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Season 2 starts Friday and I hear the whole season will be released at once!

Basically, if you have not seen this yet, do yourself a favor! It is utterly awesome and dark and funny and boobies.

I never much cared for political-type shows, but this series is about POWER and all the dirty-nasty that comes along with it. Spacey is outstanding as is his supporting cast. This may be a post-dinner marathon for me and the lady.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:Season 2 starts Friday and I hear the whole season will be released at once!
That's how Netflix rolls with their original stuff. They did the same for Season 1.

--