Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Evil Dead Remake

Post by Canelek »

I'm slightly on the fence here: For one, I am excited to see this get the fancy treatment, and the trailer looks fantastic.

Red band trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak

That said, this awesome low-budget indie from director Sam Raimi launched his directorial career into the ether while friend and soon-to-be-cult-hero Bruce Campbell became the epitome of B-awesomeness--Hail to the King, baby...

So, while I certainly will watch the film in April, I doubt it hits the right notes with me, based solely on recent remake failures (or a "remake" in the sense that the title is shared, but nothing else.)

Think I'd rather have a followup to the FUCKING AWESOME Cabin in the Woods than another rather unwatchable bit of fap from some Hollywood studio that tends to care more about demographic measuables and BAM BOOM POW STARPOWAHH, then making a quality film.

We shall see...
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Evil Dead Remake

Post by Boogahz »

MERMEN!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Movie just got tagged with NC17 and is now going back in to the cutting board. Either an unrated version hits the theater or this is a wait for DVD for me. Bit of trivia: The original was originally rated X, but was able to just release itself as unrated and ignore those pesky MPAA ratings.

This actually makes me excited to see what they wanted to show.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You make a good point regarding the rating. However, my biggest fear for this is not necessarily the editing process, but the studio suits that shape the editing.

That said, I would much rather Raimi and Campbell cap a fun story trilogy style (ED2, AoD, ???). At least they have two endings as a starting point (I prefer the S-Mart ending.)

So, I can see why these folks really had no choice but to put their twist on the original, since both ED2 (re-visioning) and AoD (sequel + re-visioning) seem quite impossible since the protagonist and lead actor are one and the same.

That, and almost every other unique horror film from 1969 - 1986 had already been butchered (sometimes more than once) by good ideas twisted into Disneyesque vulgarity by major studios.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The well-done low budget schlockiness was a big part what made it so great. Hard to do that in a studio. I'll skip it.

Kind of like cardboard south park vs. digital.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."