Summer's coming! Go get your tans!

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Summer's coming! Go get your tans!

Post by Winnow »

This guy is 69 years old, but half of his face looks much, much older than that. He was a trucker and, for 28 years, his face received much more sunlight on the left side, resulting on premature aging.

We all knew that being exposed to the sun makes you age prematurely, but seeing the dramatic difference in a single face is just stunning.

His condition is called unilateral dermatoheliosis, from the Greek dermis and helios, skin and sun. It's also called photoaging, and it results from chronic exposure to the sun's UVA and UVB rays. In his case, it only affected the left side of his face because of his work. As he drove, he received much many hours of sunlight through the left window of his vehicle.
http://gizmodo.com/5914862/shocking-pro ... rematurely
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Summer's coming! Go get your tans!

Post by Zaelath »

When I was in Minnesota there was a girl in the call centre part of the building that I think was about 25, she clearly loved the tanning salon, but realistically she looked like a fine leather couch.

I could never understand what would encourage such behaviour....
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I stopped tanning at an early age. I wonder if I stopped in time.

See how I strategically keep my face out of the sun?

Oh nevemind, I'm so fucked!

I stopped tanning in my early 20's but I did get 3 or 4 severe burns in my 20's when I did go out in the sun which also can't be good.
Hopefully years of computer nerdom have counteracted my sunny childhood.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Can already see the damage on my skin, never tanned intentionally but spent lots of time outdoors all my life.

On the bright side, skin cancer can be pretty virulent and take you out quick as opposed to slowly rotting away, burning through all the cash you have left then starting in on the governments'. Relatives in my grandfathers generation with unhealthy lifestyles all-in-all seemed to have more fun in life and when the end came (mostly) died pretty quick.

The "healthy" ones all spent their last 10 or so years entombed in their own body, sure they lived an extra ~10 years but...
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."