Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Holliston

Post by Canelek »

Looks like horror fans are finally getting a sitcom! I am interested solely for the fact that Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus from GWAR) plays the imaginary best friend of one of the protagonists.

AWESOME!

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/03/coll ... wn-sitcom/
There have been sitcoms about every conceivable topic under the sun (even some that aren’t particularly “conceivable” – remember The Secret Diary Of Desmond Pfeiffer?), but to my knowledge, never one set in the vast landscape of horror fandom. With the geek-friendly (and wholly uncreative) Big Bang Theory being one of the top shows on TV for years, it’s fairly plausible to think that a comedy that catered to horror geeks would work as well – especially considering how many horror classics are also comedic (American Werewolf In London, Zombieland, Fright Night etc). But unless I’ve missed something, all horror shows on the air (and there aren’t many) are dramatic in nature: Supernatural, Walking Dead, Grimm – these are hardly the sort of thing you tune in to see if you want a few (intentional) laughs. Luckily, FEARnet has you covered: Holliston, which premieres tonight (April 3rd), is indeed a sitcom for horror fans, but accessible for mainstream audiences as well.

Starring Adam Green (who also created) and Joe Lynch, the show concerns two pals (coincidentally named Adam and Joe) who work at a low-rent cable station making local ads while trying to launch a filmmaking career. Being that this is a sitcom, they also have lady pals: Joe’s girlfriend Laura (Laura Ortiz) and Adam’s ex Corrie (Corri English), as well as a wacky boss. Dee Snider plays the boss, and even though he’s seemingly the only one on the show to get a different name (he plays “Lance Rockett”), he’s pretty much just playing Dee Snider, frontman for Twisted Sister. Oderus from Gwar also pops up as Adam’s imaginary friend, offering insane but sage advice after the crisis in that episode reaches a boiling point.
en kærlighed småkager
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Holliston

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Don't have high hopes or even low hopes for this. Sitcom + horror doesn't sound like a good equation. It's one thing to have comedic writing within a horror film or series, but It's hard for me to imagine a SITCOM having any true chills and thrills in it. Sounds more like a gimmick...goresploitation if you will. Also, the original content I've seen from FEARnet has been virtually unwatchable, as are 95% of the films they offer.

Sorry to poop on the parade, but I just can't imagine it being very good.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ah. I am not familiar with fearnet. I guess I'll give it a try but I do agree that it makes for an odd combo, especially since there is no good sitcom.

And yes, I think big bang theory is terrible. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Yeah I have no idea what channel Fearnet is. Is this a web based show or is it actually on TV?