Wii Virtual Console

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Wii Virtual Console

Post by Animalor »

So I landed an old Wii with a bad laser for essentially free from my brother over the holidays (he bought his kids a new one for xmas).

I've decided to play though some of the Nintendo classics that I may have missed through the Virtual Console. I bought Zelda: Ocarina of Time last night and started that. I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Looking through the stuff on there, there may be a couple of my old favorites that end being downloaded as well.

As a side project, I've ordered a replacement laser lens off the internet and I'm going to attempt a DIY repair of the console. This thing will not read a single disk inserted into the console. I can still hear the drive spinning up so odds are the laser assembly is shot. I've read that this is a fairly simple thing to fix with the right part so this should be a fun project. Nintendo wants close to 100$ to fix it out of warranty so I figure if I can do this for a fraction of the price on my own, I still come out on top. If I fail, I still have a decent VC device for damn cheap. Fun times either way.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Wii Virtual Console

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I like the selection, but held off on buying anything because I have too many actual Wii games to play through. I had a list of VC games I wanted to buy somewhere and it was about 20 games long. I've played and beaten many of those so I don't want to pay just to have nostalgia sitting there that I don't really have any intention of playing in the near future (hello Steam!). Speaking of Steam, Nintendo needs to have a goddamn sale once in awhile on VC items. Seriously. I would think that some of my money is better than none of it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'll be damned. The replacement laser worked. I got it today, put it in the Wii and the thing reads disks now. I've got a fully functionning Wii. =P
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

First time Wii owner? I've only had one a little over 6 months myself. I can recommend some games! Wii games are dirt cheap so it's a great time to own the system.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Yup. First time Wii owner. My brother's had one for years as his single console so he's going to be sending me some of the prime picks from his collection. =) Now I just need to buy a nunchuck addon. =)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I bought the system brand new along with, like, a dozen new games for 550$. I think the new Zelda is the best thing I've played on the system. I have enjoyed every game I've bought for it so far. I'll be picking up Xenoblade Chronicles when it is available in the US and that may very well be the last game I buy for the system.