iPhone 4 Pre-Order Today

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iPhone 4 Pre-Order Today

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Odd...

I placed my order through AT&T Tuesday and it is out for delivery today, despite AT&T stating that all units were on back order. Must have been a production surge.

Seems Apple is still saying that shipping will be delayed for three weeks.

Either way, I am happy that I get my shiny today! :D
Nice! I highly recommend the overpriced Bumper Case Apple sells. It has a solid feel to it with just enough rubbery grip to make the phone feel more secure in your hand.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yup, that is the plan. I ordered the front/back ZAPP Invisishield things from Amazon today ($18.94). Should make for nice protective combo, as long as I don't drop phone over the weekend...

Heading to MAC store at lunch to grab the $900 rubber bumper. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Steve Jobs is cracking me up:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has reportedly told an agitated iPhone 4 owner to stop worrying about poor reception and "relax."

"You are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors. Calm down. You are most likely in an area with very low signal strength," Jobs advised in a purported e-mail to "Tom" obtained by the Boy Genius Report (BGR).

"You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it. Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it."
He's being so smug about the antenna issues. Bastard!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It certainly adds to the arrogance that the AppleCare support call template was leaked...
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

FedEx delivered as promised. Bummer thing is that the Mac/Apple stores locally have no bumpers. Fuckers!

I will have to order online now...meh. I guess I will keep protective film on for the time being.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:FedEx delivered as promised. Bummer thing is that the Mac/Apple stores locally have no bumpers. Fuckers!

I will have to order online now...meh. I guess I will keep protective film on for the time being.
You could try Best Buy and Radio Shack. They sell the new iPhone, not sure about the bumpers....even ,....Walmart...cough
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I was thinking about that, but the Mac Store kid told me that Apple iPhone4 bumpers are exclusively sold through Apple Stores and store.apple.com.
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Canelek wrote:I was thinking about that, but the Mac Store kid told me that Apple iPhone4 bumpers are exclusively sold through Apple Stores and store.apple.com.
*jerk off motion*

that is all...
Timmah.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yup. Courtesy of Steve "The Hand" Jobs.

Hell, even Amazon.com only has piece of shit cases, some of which are ill-fitting.

If you want the official bumper that only covers the sides, it'll cost $33 including the $4.00 standard shipping.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Yup. Courtesy of Steve "The Hand" Jobs.

Hell, even Amazon.com only has piece of shit cases, some of which are ill-fitting.

If you want the official bumper that only covers the sides, it'll cost $33 including the $4.00 standard shipping.
29.99 (plus extra fees) is an incredible rip off for the little piece of plastic you get. It's nice quality for what it is though.

You may get your money back eventually in the lawsuit(s)!

http://gizmodo.com/5577010/first-iphone ... le-and-att
The lawsuit was filed by Ward & Ward, PLLC and Charles A. Gilman, LLC. on behalf of Kevin McCaffrey, Linda Wrinn and a number of other iPhone 4 users. It is not the same iPhone 4 class action lawsuit currently said to be in the works by the California law firm that sued Facebook and Zynga.
Update

Apparently, this is not the first Federal lawsuit. Several other federal lawsuits have appeared:

6/29

• Goodglick v. Apple is filed by Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff LLP in the Northern District of California.
• Ngyuen v. Apple is filed in the Southern District of Texas.

6/30
• McCaffrey v. Apple is filed in the District of Maryland.
• Benvenisty v. Apple is filed in the Northern District of California.
• Dydyk v. Apple is filed in the Northern District of California.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol: Only Apple could put out such a flawed product, and then basically say "fuck you, deal with it" and still have lines to buy it. Man people are funny.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

29.99 (plus extra fees) is an incredible rip off for the little piece of plastic you get. It's nice quality for what it is though.
Totally. This is one of the problems with getting in on 1st Gen Apple products. It usually takes a few months for 3rd party companies to manufacture quality accessories.

On the plus side, you are correct that the overpriced plastic bumper is at least of high quality and should offer the extra protection, especially coupled with front and back Invisishield film whathaveyas.

Now, if someone can develop an app that can map out all of the developers in my building so I can avoid having to answer their cries of OMGPLSHELPKTHXIRTARD....

DBA SAYZ FUCKSYOUCOMMIEDEVELOPER! DEPLOY FAILFACE!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A fix is in for the iPhone's death grip issue:

Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

My fix was to not buy one, and I got an HTC EVO instead.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote:My fix was to not buy one, and I got an HTC EVO instead.
Good for you!

Don't forget to recharge it often.

I have issues with the build quality, battery life, and the camera/video quality of the EVO but otherwise it's a nice phone. I have issues with Android 2.1 and the quality/availability of Apps for Android but feel those will be resolved with time and Android 2.2. Also concerned with the way multitasking/app klling is handled with Android, further hurting battery life. I like the physical size of EVO's screen.

Android is a possibility next year for me!

In the meantime. iPhone 4's pluses...Apps, battery life, killer screen, outstanding camera, speaker quality, outweigh the one fault that's bothering me atm which is the sensor that turns off the screen when phone is held to your ear needs tweaking as the screen turns on sometimes, causing buttons to be pushed. I believe that can be remedied with a firmware fix. Haven't dropped any calls so the antenna issue isn't a problem for me.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am enjoying the iphone4 as well. Once I got all the protective bumper and screen shields that is. Video is pretty fucking good as well :)
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Winnow wrote:
Xouqoa wrote:My fix was to not buy one, and I got an HTC EVO instead.
Good for you!

Don't forget to recharge it often.

I have issues with the build quality, battery life, and the camera/video quality of the EVO but otherwise it's a nice phone. I have issues with Android 2.1 and the quality/availability of Apps for Android but feel those will be resolved with time and Android 2.2. Also concerned with the way multitasking/app klling is handled with Android, further hurting battery life. I like the physical size of EVO's screen.

Android is a possibility next year for me!

In the meantime. iPhone 4's pluses...Apps, battery life, killer screen, outstanding camera, speaker quality, outweigh the one fault that's bothering me atm which is the sensor that turns off the screen when phone is held to your ear needs tweaking as the screen turns on sometimes, causing buttons to be pushed. I believe that can be remedied with a firmware fix. Haven't dropped any calls so the antenna issue isn't a problem for me.
I haven't had any issues with the battery life so far. It actually lasts longer than my iPhone 3G did. I was usually plugging that in by 3pm, and this one makes it through the day so far. (iPhone was 2 years old with heavy usage, so that may have had something to do with it.)

There is a great app called ES Task Manager which makes it easy to kill any running tasks and save battery life. You can add it was a widget to your home screen or whatever, and kill everything running with a single click.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Consumer Reports won’t recommend iPhone 4 after tests reveal problem non-issue

http://www.thestar.com/business/compani ... oblem?bn=1
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote: I haven't had any issues with the battery life so far. It actually lasts longer than my iPhone 3G did. I was usually plugging that in by 3pm, and this one makes it through the day so far. (iPhone was 2 years old with heavy usage, so that may have had something to do with it.)
I had to do the same thing with my 3G. The battery is much improved with eh iPhone 4.

As for the task/app killer for EVo, there's a huge thread debate over whether to kill apps or not which makes things even more confusing. Some geeks think you shouldn't use the app killers.

I have a friend with a differn't Android phone and their phone's battery drains like mad. I'm constantly having them reboot it to clear apps, etc. With the less professional apps currently on the Android, it seems the programmers aren't doing well with preserving battery life.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

A friend of mine works at a tech company. They use iPhones at the moment, but his boss (and CEO / owner) picked up an Evo to give it a trial run as a hopeful replacement for iPhones. It has the ability for them to write apps directly for the device as opposed to how Apple treats the iPhone. Anyway, long story short, the battery life was so bad they are sticking with iPhones for now, even in spite of all the benefits an Evo would offer. He was really disappointed.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Hehe, now Apple is deleting threads in their support forum about the antenna issue.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/faster ... posts.html
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A Wall Street analyst claims that his overseas sources are telling him that Apple has decided on a fix for the antenna problem plaguing the iPhone 4. Ashok Kumar, an analyst with Rodman & Renshaw Capital Group, says that what's being called an "internal bumper" is being added to new phones in order to better insulate the transceiver. According to the Kumar, suppliers in Asia have told him that the change is causing a slowdown in production, which has led the online Apple Store increase to shipping estimates to three weeks.
Glad I exchanged my iPhone 4 yesterday for a new one before another shortage.

I had a small, heat activated, yellow spot on my screen. (glue residue that was supposed to dry up and be clear) While very minor, it happened to be in the wrong place on the screen where I'd see it. I made a "genius" bar appointment, brought in the phone, mentioned I had yellow spots on my screen, and they swapped it out without question. At least Apple is good about exchanges. My new phone has a perfect screen. I use a bumper and have zero antenna issues so the drama above doesn't affect me unless I get a 30.00 gift credit to iTunes out of it for the bumber.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Apparently quality isn't Job 1 over at Apple. All the good workers at Foxconn must have jumped off the building.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So at the Apple press conference, Jobs said they will be giving out free cases and refunding those that already bought them.

So I'll be getting $30.00 a refund.

Regarding my other issue:
During today's press conference. Apple's Steve Jobs revealed that they are tracking some issues with the iPhone 4's proximity sensor and expects to fix this in the next software update. We previously reported on this issue two weeks ago:

one of the most prevalent [problems] of late has been problems with the device's proximity sensors designed to sense when the phone is held up to the user's face and deactivate the device's screen, thus preventing unintended activation of buttons on the display.
Perfect. 30 bucks back for my $3 real value bumper and the proximity issue (one that actually affects me) is being resolved.

I'm satisfied.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Always nice to get money back. Hated to spend $30 on the bumper, but it is currently the best thing out there, especially coupled with the front/back InvisibleShield film.

I believe Apple is going to have a form or somesuch on their site next week so customers can get a case, or refund. I bet the children in the Shenchen sweat shops are quite overworked though.

I do have quite a few dropped calls. Hopefully that will be addressed with the next patch, assuming it has something to do with their proximity issue. Patching patching patching--reminds me of EQ.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPhone 4 jailbreak's been released.

Easiest Jailbreak ever.

http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbreak-iphone-4-a/

go to:

1 On your iPhone, open Safari.
2 Go to JailbreakMe.com.
3 Slide to Jailbreak.
4 Wait a minute or so while it goes through it's deal.
5 Enjoy a jailbroken iDevice.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Any advantages to jailbreaking the new phone, aside from free apps?
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Canelek wrote:Any advantages to jailbreaking the new phone, aside from free apps?
You can whine after being part of the upcoming Android\iPhone targeted pump and dump scheme!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I have been seeing fewer reasons to keep one of my devices jailbroken. Maybe I've just been using the wrong Sources for downloads. I currently have a 1st gen iTouch that is jailbroken, and a 2nd gen that is not.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm glad the jailbreak didn't come out for 30+ days. It allowed me to exchange my iPhone for a perfect one without having to screw around with wiping the phone, etc.

Since jailbreaking is officially legal, the only concern you should have is the warranty. Your call on that.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Not a concern. I was just curious as to the benefits of jailbreaking. Aside from iBlackList and tethering (if that still works), I do not see any value these days. Than again, I have not jailbroken a device in months so likely have forgotten a benefit or 3 along the way.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

So, spammer started back up (858-467-72xx -- they use blocks of numbers). I decided to go ahead and jailbreak and grab up iBlackList, since I liked that in the past.

Jailbreak took less than 5 minutes by following the very very simple instructions Winnow provided. Works like a champ and now I get to send the busy signal to 2 numbers for free. If they decide to call from more numbers, I'll just get the paid version. Good shit!

Just make sure to back up your device first just in case...
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Been going a little mod'ing on my iPhone 4.

Here's what my front page looks like at full res for the iPhone 4:

First, ignore the icons (especially the Yoga one!), I just threw them on the first page to see what a full 7x7 page looks like and haven't organized them or placed my most used there yet.

A normal iPhone screen contains 4 rows of 4 Apps with the bottom dock maxing out at 5 Apps. Above I've shrunk the App icons to 66%, shrunk the red number badges to 66%, have 7 rows of 7 apps each as well as expanding the dock to 7 Apps.

In addition to what you see (49 viewable Apps + 7 Docked Apps = 56 Apps) as opposed to 4 X 4, 16 Apps +5 docked = 21 Apps on the non mod'd iPhone, each page can contain an unlimited # of Apps, allowing you to scroll or page down to access additional 7 App rows. The dock will also page or scroll horizontally, allowing for an unlimited number of Apps on the dock.

In order to do this I used a few one dollar apps from the Cydia store:

Shrink:

Allows you to shrink your App icons and badges (red number alert tags)

Iconoclasm:

Allows you to modify the number of apps displayed on a page. I chose 7x7 but you can choose whatever you want including other designs like triangle, 5x6 etc.

Infiniboard:

Allows the pages to scroll vertically, enabling unlimited Apps per page

Infinidock:

Allows you to adjust the number of Apps in the dock anywhere from 1 to 10 (I chose 7 to match my rows), and also allows the side swiping of the dock to scroll to or page flip to additional docked Apps, independent of the main page of apps.

Below you can see my additional Apps on my dock if I swipe the dock to the left. I plan to use the second page of docked icons for my utility apps. I've also placed my comic folder and crap (comes with iPhone) apps I've stuffed into a folder.

The reason for this mod is that I don't like flipping through pages to find crap. I can see 56 single click Apps instead of default 21 as well as quickly swipe my dock over to access more key Apps or possibly folders of same type grouped Apps.

Here's default iPhone layout for reference:

Some might think 7x7 too cluttered. (don't care!)

Even if you dont go for that many rows, adding a row or two, enabling dock swipe and vertically scrolling pages might be something you find more efficient depending on your UI preferences.

I still need to organize. I'll probably stuff all the games into a folder, my football apps into another folder, comic readers. and ambient recordings into another, and so on. Although, I've learned that I quickly forget about some apps if I put them in folders so keeping as many on the front page is a good thing for me.

90% or more time spent on my iPhone comes from the seven docked Apps.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jailbreak is out for iOS 4.1

It's still in beta and it's a release by Geohot (someone needs to make a movie about this guy in a few years)

There's two competing jailbreaks. Geohot (who said he retired) came out of nowhere and announced the release of his JB the day before the other JB Dev team was going to release their JB. They use different exploits so now the other team isn't releasing theirs, which only works on the A4 chip devices (iPhone 4 and iPad) The idea here is that they should probably wait on that until the Verizon iPhones and also iOS 4.2 are released.

Supposedly, Geohots (and the other JB) are unpatchable for the life of your A4 device so you should be good until you upgrade your phone again one way or the other.

Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait a few days to see how Geohot's JB pans out. I'm kinda of eager to move to 4.1 because it fixed the proximity bug which drives me nuts when I'm talking to my imaginary friends on the phone.

Thread following it:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/73 ... -live.html

The actual JB page (be cautious, research first)

http://limera1n.com/

It's NOT a one click JB, don't do anything if you haven't checked everything out.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Bought damn time!

I decided that going to 4.1 was worth it for the bug fixes. Plus, they added a pseudo-HDR function on the camera. As far as I can tell, you can't change the settings, so it is really more of a light-balancer than HDR. However, it does a decent job and can be turned off!

I am ready to jailbreak so I can get iBlacklist back.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Bought damn time!

I decided that going to 4.1 was worth it for the bug fixes. Plus, they added a pseudo-HDR function on the camera. As far as I can tell, you can't change the settings, so it is really more of a light-balancer than HDR. However, it does a decent job and can be turned off!

I am ready to jailbreak so I can get iBlacklist back.
Did you have issues with the proximity sensor during calls before 4.1 and did 4.1 help? I'm still waiting on JB as I'm reading the comments from the initial JB limera1n and they seem to be going well. I'll give it another day or two!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well, it wasn't very often, but it was annoying enough to patch. I have had no issues since!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Well, it wasn't very often, but it was annoying enough to patch. I have had no issues since!
Cool! That's my biggest issue with the iPhone4. Happens almost every call. Looking forward to 4.1
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, I hated that.

My only annoyance now is that they design their bumpers to only have port openings large enough to fit their cables/headphones. I have a few 3rd party charging/docking cables that I had to modify and my headphones barely fit. Let's go mini-USB->USB, Jobs!

Yeah, I can just remove the bumper, but I don't want to accidentally fuck up the Invisible Shield protectors by constantly messing with the bumper.
en kærlighed småkager
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

I used limera1n on a coworkers 4.1 ipod touch - worked just fine, cydia - hackulous - done and done. Only problem was making sure you're up to date on your itunes install as the way it enters/deals with DFU seems to be different (and what limera1n does to exploit it).
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Also - this is jailbreak only, not an unlock - so at&t only for the phones
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I must have posted in a another thread. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 with limera1n a day or so after I posted here. The process went smoothly.

I use MyWi a lot which requires a jailbroken phone.

edit: the proximity issue is completely fixed for me with 4.1
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Oh internet, why do you keep tempting me....

Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005