Highest Level Hockey

What do you think about the sports world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Highest Level Hockey

Post by Chidoro »

That was one amazing game last night. Yes, the US got a few good bounces, but the level of play was ridiculously good for both teams. I have never seen such amazing puck movement or rapid transition in a game. Easily the best hocket I have ever seen.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Highest Level Hockey

Post by Wulfran »

Do you ever watch the World Junior Championships? To me thats the best hockey of every year: 16-20 year olds playing for their country and playing to make a name for themselves and help spur their standings in the draft.

As for last night, it was pretty decent but I think the nerves of the Canadians were evident. The passes weren't there, the decisions were slow or bad and Brodeur looked uncomfortable in net. The US played a great game, Ryan Miller was outstanding and I have a lot of respect for the entire team but Canada didn't bring their A game and hasn't found it in this tournament yet. I don't know if its coaching, chemstry or what but that US team should not have beat that Canadian team. It sounds a little arrogant (the one Canadian vanity poking through) but honestly I don't think ANYONE should: player for player, no one else matches up.

Its kinda sad that Canada as a whole will judge success or failure in the entire games based on how the men's hockey team does (gold or bust) but at the same time, I'm one of the mass that finds the hockey tourney the most interesting part...
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If Canada wants to win gold, old man Breauxdeauxr needs to sit for the rest of their games. He was a fine goalie 10 years ago (helped by the NHL's tolerance of grabbing and tripping between the blue lines at that time), but he's too fucking slow to keep up with the new breed of players. Not counting the empty net, he only faced 22 shots, but allowed 4 goals.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

He's a decent goalie when he's got a defensive minded. stay-at-home hockey team in front of him.
In a wide open, fast game and on a team with little-to-no chemistry but with the best players in the world, he's just not very good.

It looked like he was playing a different game than the rest of the team.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'd root for the Canadian Team over any other team besides the United States.

da da Canada! nyet nyet Soviet!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well the dream match-up of Canada vs USA is looking more likely now. Canada looked like they might have found their stride last night against the Russians. The Russians looked brutal, even though they have probably the most talent at forward of any team in the tournament. I laughed at Mike Milbury's post game comments about how disappointed he was with the Russian effort and that they brought their "Eurotrash game". I didn't see the USA 2-0 win over Switzerland but it sounded like Hiller was really hot in net for the Swiss. The wild card is the Swedes: those bastards never lose when they're supposed to...
Wulfran Moondancer
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Wulfran wrote:The wild card is the Swedes: those bastards never lose when they're supposed to...
Huh?
Do you mean Finland?
Slovakia maybe?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Damn! The Swedes lost too! I didn't stay up to watch them and Slovaks: I took it as a foregone conclusion the Meatball Nation would be there, trying to spoil our parade...

Canada can't look past the Slovaks but I think the US has a tougher match up playing the Finns: they're another team with outstanding goaltending.

Edit: and the "Eurotrash" tempest heats up. As I said, I laughed at the comment last night and agreed with the mood. It cracks me up all the blogs trashing Milbury now, some of them accusing him of being racsist :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I can't believe the Red Win, er, Sweden lost!

Oh well. U-S-A! U-S-A! Hopefull we can get a rematch with Canada. If the US wins again, I think bragging rights will be in order. :) (I don't think they can beat them twice, though.)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Wulfran wrote: Canada can't look past the Slovaks but I think the US has a tougher match up playing the Finns: they're another team with outstanding goaltending.
what goaltending?? The 1st 12 minutes of that game was brutal..
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Mawafu wrote:
Wulfran wrote: Canada can't look past the Slovaks but I think the US has a tougher match up playing the Finns: they're another team with outstanding goaltending.
what goaltending?? The 1st 12 minutes of that game was brutal..
I am shocked by how bad it was. Kiprusof made a bad decision on the first goal and the whole team seemed to quit... and with a team as good as Team USA, things can get out of hand in a hurry.

I'm looking forward to the re-match of USA- Canada though.

p.s. Zoocow, sorry about your Red Wings. They just can't seem to win with international or NHL rules this year...
Wulfran Moondancer
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

That was a gold medal game for the ages. I had to agree with Mathew Barnaby (ESPN, former NHL player) in that it was a shame either team had to lose. My heart went to Ryan Miller especially after his performance but I had to admit seeing Sid score from Iginla made me smile.

Congrats to Team USA on a well played tournament.
Wulfran Moondancer
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

It was cool to have that match in the finals. It is great for both countries, and the NHL.
en kærlighed småkager