World Cup 2010

What do you think about the sports world?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by Xatrei »

Got back from my dentist appointment just in time to see the 5 minutes of stoppage time. Wish I could have seen more of that one.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Xatrei wrote:Got back from my dentist appointment just in time to see the 5 minutes of stoppage time. Wish I could have seen more of that one.
The refs tried their best to give the game to Spain.

Worst fucking officiating I've seen so far.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Wow that kid from Nigeria may have red carded his team out of the tournament. They are very fortunate to have the bracket they do. A win should still get them in thanks to goal differential.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The faces of French fans during the last 8 minutes of the Mexico game gave me some chuckles.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The zuzuleas are annoying, but they seem to annoy teh euros even more. So torn...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

You can complain about the vuvuzelas here.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

France has easily been the biggest disappointment in the tournament. They look old, uninspired, boring and predictable. It looks like they are trying to tie their way to the Finals. Fortunately it looks like that will not work. I know Spain has the biggest loss, but they were attacking the whole time and failed to score. I saw very little effort moving forward with France.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Tyek wrote:France has easily been the biggest disappointment in the tournament. They look old, uninspired, boring and predictable. It looks like they are trying to tie their way to the Finals. Fortunately it looks like that will not work. I know Spain has the biggest loss, but they were attacking the whole time and failed to score. I saw very little effort moving forward with France.
Not surprising if you watched them at the Euro 2008s. They have a manager who is certifiable. His tactics pretty much consist of looking at Paris Match's horoscope and working from there. No, seriously. He pretty much ended Robert Pirès’ international career in 2004 because he was a Scorpio. It's a shame, because there are players in the French side that I really like, but I thoroughly enjoy watching the insanity and misery of Domenech.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Didn't expect too much out of France this year.

What is the record number of cards handed out in one World Cup match? Think we'll see that reached in the Germany v Serbia game? The first half was almost looking like he was refusing to just call fouls without a card on either team!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Apparently the referee handed out 11 red cards in 17 La Liga matches last season. Hmm.
sounds like he likes dem cards!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That was a bit of a shocker!

Great game, grats Serbia.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Group D is still pretty wide open as well. If Australia can show up and beat Ghana, things will really be fun.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-engli ... horns.html

Six alternate ways you can use the annoying horns
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Gamecast of the US v Slovenia has made it sound like I am missing some good acting on the field!
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

USA should have won 3 - 2. What a game, and what a horrible fucking call.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That was just one of I'm not sure how many crap calls. Even so, if our defenders hadn't played so soft early on, it wouldn't have come down to a ref's incompetence.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Not sure what is up with refs today. Thought the first ref was shooting for the first 7 on 7 game in history with all his cards. The US game was awful too. Xatrei is absolutely correct though. The US starts to slow every time, as mentioned in the broadcast. What I don't understand is the downbeat response about the US chances. I guess I am missing something, but if the US goes out and plays like it can against Algeria, they should have a decent chance. I would rather be playing Algeria then England. I know a tie kills them, but I think the English will beat Slovenia.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Boogahz wrote:Didn't expect too much out of France this year.

What is the record number of cards handed out in one World Cup match? Think we'll see that reached in the Germany v Serbia game? The first half was almost looking like he was refusing to just call fouls without a card on either team!
4 years ago Portugal were shown 9 yellows and Netherlands 7 in one game.

As far as his zealousness with cards, at least he stuck to his line. It would've been worse had he carded one person for an offense and not carded someone else for a similar one. Klose was an idiot.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I understand, but a good ref is not noticed in most cases and these refs have become constant fixtures in the game. I have stated in other threads, like the Ireland/France one, that one call is not the reason a team wins or loses. The US gave up 2 early goals, they did the same against England and got lucky. They have themselves to blame, not a ref. I just wish the officials would retreat to the background, where they belong.

I do agree about Klose. I also agree, if a ref is going to suck, at least suck for both teams and he did that in the Germany game.

I am curious too. Are we seeing a rise in the level of the second tier, or are the top teams all playing scared? Brazil and Argentina aside, every power has shown major faults.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Who is more dysfunctional, France or England?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Combined with the horseshit that's been going on in the NBA finals, I am so fucking sick of refs injecting themselves into games that I cannot fully express it. FFS, LET THEM PLAY.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xatrei wrote:Who is more dysfunctional, France or England?

oh oh oh, I know this one!

yes!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Tyek wrote:I understand, but a good ref is not noticed in most cases and these refs have become constant fixtures in the game. I have stated in other threads, like the Ireland/France one, that one call is not the reason a team wins or loses. The US gave up 2 early goals, they did the same against England and got lucky. They have themselves to blame, not a ref. I just wish the officials would retreat to the background, where they belong.

I do agree about Klose. I also agree, if a ref is going to suck, at least suck for both teams and he did that in the Germany game.

I am curious too. Are we seeing a rise in the level of the second tier, or are the top teams all playing scared? Brazil and Argentina aside, every power has shown major faults.

I only saw the Gamecasts online for the last two games today, and the second half of Germany's game. I managed to watch the first half before coming in to work. If nothing else, the ref in the first game was consistent in throwing out the yellow cards, and the players should have figured that out after the first 2-3 of them. Klose had no reason to make the tackle from behind that gave him the second yellow. The ref just continued with the cards against both teams. I plan on watching the second half when I get home, but it sounds like Germany just failed to deliver on offense (including a missed penalty). This was my biggest concern for them going into the World Cup. The last match seemed like a fluke at 4-0.

Everything I have heard about the US game was just how everyone felt that the US players didn't seem to really even know they should be showing any concern. They said something about how they didn't seem to care that they were even behind most of the game. Sure, the call at the end of the game might have pulled back a goal, but what about the other 90+ minutes of play? That can't all be blamed on the ref's call.

The England game just sounds
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Boogahz wrote: The England game just sounds
That's pretty much spot on.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Boogahz wrote:Everything I have heard about the US game was just how everyone felt that the US players didn't seem to really even know they should be showing any concern. They said something about how they didn't seem to care that they were even behind most of the game. Sure, the call at the end of the game might have pulled back a goal, but what about the other 90+ minutes of play? That can't all be blamed on the ref's call.
The US's first half performances have both been pretty bad. They gut up and play with discipline and intensity in the second half, for the most part. My biggest complaint about today's match would probably have to be waiting so late to sub Gomez in and shift to a 3-4-3. Like I said in my earlier post, if not for the poor first-half play, it wouldn't have come down to the ref's failure.
Boogahz wrote:The England game just sounds
If this wasn't intentional, it should have been. Sums up England's performance perfectly. (As Drolgin said while I was typing hah)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xatrei wrote:
Boogahz wrote:The England game just sounds
If this wasn't intentional, it should have been. Sums up England's performance perfectly. (As Drolgin said while I was typing hah)
it was intentional, hehe. I couldn't think of anything...bad...enough to fit what I had been reading and hearing about the game. It was funny reading commentators trying to explain all of the errant passes and such throughout the game. It makes me want to watch that one first tonight.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just finished the Germany v Serbia game...ugh, Poldi's feet just kept failing him. Multiple shots going just wide to either side of the net, and then the failed Penalty. I still thought that Germany looked good considering they were down a man. The defense had a couple balls played over their heads which might have been due to the backs playing more of an attacking role in the second half as well. It really was sad watching both teams be afraid to tackle after all of the cards that were handed out.

England v Algeria...thought it was almost half time, and then I looked at the clock which said it was only 18 minutes in. Don't think I will bother with finishing that one...skipped ahead a bit though. Good result for Algeria! Must admit that I have been rooting for them a bit after the attacks in Egypt before qualifying.

Was cool seeing David James back out there, even if he didn't get tested too much by the Algerians. I still think that he and Keller were the two coolest guys I met at Free Kick Masters competition. Still think James should go back to the 'fro look instead of the braids :P Hmm, and I can't seem to link the goofy pic I took of him either.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

England... "I don't even..." :vv_signlol:
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Welcome Back Nick, hope all is well.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

At least England has just sucked so far, France has imploded. Anelka sent home after insulting the coach. Team refuses to practice after a conflict on the training field. Fitness coach quits. Team-director that announces it quits the French federation.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

talk about a lucky way for Ronaldo to break his international scoring drought...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czrBijbjKUU
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Read that 75% of the French people surveyed wanted their team to lose today. They got their wish, as the rest of the French team can now join Anelka in going home. What will we do without all of their drama in the later rounds?! hehe

Uruguay and Mexico ended up advancing out of Group A.

Looking like Argentina and South Korea out of Group B, but the games to determine that are still in progress.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

rofl

I didn't realize how much of a scam the World Cup is. It's more corrupt than the NBA.

U.S.A. is getting raped by bad calls. Two easy goals that have been disallowed for off sides.

What a joke pro soccer is.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

First, OMFG I can't believe that goal. On to round 2.

Second, the bad and questionable calls don't piss me off nearly as much as missed opportunities.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's a shame the US has to score two goals for every one the other team scores to win due to corruption. I could give a damn about opportunities. How about some fair play?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The offsides call was close enough for me to give a pass to the judge. All of the missed opportunities would have chalked it up to the US getting what they deserved. It was nice to see the repeated attacks in the end to finally get Donovan knocking the rebounded shot in though.
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

The poor call by the ref in this game that took a goal away from us wasn't quite as bad as the one in the previous game, but it was still a bad call that shouldn't happen on this level of play.

We're through and we've won our group so I can relax a but, but I was out of my chair and jumping up and down like an idiot when the winning goal went in during stoppage time. :lol:
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:It's a shame the US has to score two goals for every one the other team scores to win due to corruption. I could give a damn about opportunities. How about some fair play?
When you take care of your own business, you generally take questionable calls out of the equation.

Like boog said, that offsides was close enough to be annoying but understandable. The linesmen have to make split second calls without the benefit of slow motion, freeze frames or multiple camera angles. Usually they're right, but sometimes they get them wrong. Bad calls are a part of the game, and I've seen plenty go in favor of virtually every team I've watched play so far. Frankly, some of the no-calls get irritate me a bit more than the bad calls, but that's part of the game, too.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Taison Earbiter wrote:We're through and we've won our group so I can relax a but, but I was out of my chair and jumping up and down like an idiot when the winning goal went in during stoppage time. :lol:
I went a little nuts myself hehe.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I went retarded after that goal.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

What a fantastically exciting finish for the US.

I don't understand why FIFA won't implement instant replay for disallowed goals at least. Maybe even for yellow/red cards to review and make sure (in the case of non-obvious fouls) they are warranted.

While they're add it, they should look to the NHL for officiating set up and put a goal judge behind each net, and add another field referee.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xouqoa wrote:While they're add it, they should look to the NHL for officiating set up and put a goal judge behind each net...
This is actually getting added to the Champion's League next year. I think it was tested out in the Europa League this year, and it sounded like it still wasn't anywhere near as effective as instant replay would be. UEFA is also allowing their domestic leagues to pick it up if they choose. Maybe it will be tweaked enough that FIFA will consider it.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Boogahz wrote:
Xouqoa wrote:While they're add it, they should look to the NHL for officiating set up and put a goal judge behind each net...
This is actually getting added to the Champion's League next year. I think it was tested out in the Europa League this year, and it sounded like it still wasn't anywhere near as effective as instant replay would be. UEFA is also allowing their domestic leagues to pick it up if they choose. Maybe it will be tweaked enough that FIFA will consider it.
That's a step in the right direction, at least. Instant replay would be the best way to go, though. (Or both)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Nick wrote:England... "I don't even..." :vv_signlol:
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Holy shit, Italy. Way to represent!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Xatrei wrote:Holy shit, Italy. Way to represent!
The last 15 minutes of that game....
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Completely missed the morning games due to meetings.

Looks like there was quite a flurry at the end of that one.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Video reactions of USA's 91 minute goal:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/2 ... ml#s105225
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Bahahaha
Later Italy bunch of diving cheating sobs that stain 2006's cup
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I am so happy to see that boring, slow, keep away, dive into the turf at the slightest contact brand of soccer played by the faggiest of the eurofags pretty much swept the fuck out of the tournament during groups.