Do you support same-sex marriage?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Yes
67%
No
14%
I don't care
18%

Total votes: 83

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

It's quite simple, really.
Last edited by Spang on February 18, 2009, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Do you support same-sex marriage?

Post by Winnow »

For two (or three) women yes. That's hot. For two men, no.

Women are all naturally at least bi. Men can stick to civil unions.
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

I'm going to be that guy and say this poll doesn't have enough options. I think there is a decent population that doesn't care either way. It doesn't affect me, so I don't care. I will say that I don't like the government stipulating who can marry whom. But I'm not going to actively support same sex marriage by protesting anything, writing anyone, etc.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Put your money where your mouth is!

Also, if you've already voted, do it again.

But seriously, if you don't care, that's like saying no.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

But seriously, if you don't care, that's like saying no.
I voted that I don't care and would say yes over no if I did care.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Gay people deserve to be as miserable as the rest of us! :lol: :lol:
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

What is the point in a politically motivated poll on this board? You already know the results in advance, so why bother? Are you looking for ways to swell up in pride at running every conservative leaning person off of here?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Spang wrote:But seriously, if you don't care, that's like saying no.
No, it's not. Especially if you're looking at "No" as being AGAINST.
- Ash
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Saying that you don't care if a minority class of people is treated differently under the law is pretty shabby. At least have the courage to admit that you think it's OK to discriminate. Either you oppose inequity or you do not. Professing neutrality is nothing more than tacit approval.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Then paint a rainbow on me, put me in rubber chaps and add me to the Yes list, FFS. I'm not against it asshole. My best friend is gay and he doesn't seem to care either. Kilmoll's right. You guys are making this board a right royal pain-in-the-ass. Could you at least keep this shit in Current Events.
- Ash
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Ashur wrote:Then paint a rainbow on me, put me in rubber chaps and add me to the Yes list, FFS. I'm not against it asshole. My best friend is gay and he doesn't seem to care either. Kilmoll's right. You guys are making this board a right royal pain-in-the-ass. Could you at least keep this shit in Current Events.
I'm sorry, I should have phrased that in different terms. I was speaking in the general, and not specific to you or the two people that explicitly stated they were indifferent (as opposed to you merely defending the position). I didn't quote any specific person for this reason, but I should have been more clear. Allow me to restate this more precisely:

Saying that one doesn't care if a minority class of people is treated differently under the law is pretty shabby, IMO. One either opposes inequity or one does not. Professing neutrality is nothing more than tacit approval. Those professing indifference should at least have the courage to admit that they think it's OK to discriminate.

Happy now? Unbunch your pretty pink panties, please.

Asshole :mrgreen:
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

People left this board so we can't have discussions anymore?

or

We can't have discussions anymore so people left this board?

What a bunch of fucking panzies. It's a goddamn message board for fuck's sake. Grow a pair.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I think he is referring to the "piling on" that happens quite frequently. Granted, not all debates are civil, but I can see the perspective of some folks and things do get quite one-sided often.
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

You guys create a poll and then redefine wtf the entries mean to suit your agendas. I think what Spang meant to post was was:

Do you want us to attack you or give you a reacharound?
A. Reacharoundplz!
B. Attack me!

I have a pair. I responded didn't I. I even stated my position. Which was, not surprisingly, similar to Kilmoll's: I really don't care.

I'm not against gay marriage, hey the more the merrier. Put it on the ballot and I may vote for it, but I'm not going to campaign for it because (once again) I don't really care. That doesn't mean I want people tattooed with numbers and sent to death camps.
- Ash
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I voted that I don't care. What I mean by that is, "I don't care". I don't care if they are or are not being discriminated against. I don't care if they like man on man or woman on woman action. If I talk to some guy on the phone who happens to like pounding another man's puckered starfish so much he wants to marry him it makes no difference to me because to me he's just someone I'm talking to on the phone.

Until someone can show me how this is a bad thing other than not conforming to someone elses idea of moral normality I'm not going to care.

If push came to shove and I had to choose either yes or no I would lean more towards yes. There is a huge shortage of Love in this world so who am I to rain on their parade.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

I don't want to grow a pair! They wouldn't fit so nicely in my pants :D

And I vote YES!~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xyun wrote:People left this board so we can't have discussions anymore?

or

We can't have discussions anymore so people left this board?

What a bunch of fucking panzies. It's a goddamn message board for fuck's sake. Grow a pair.
Maybe it's because you're a minority and have had whatever experience in the past that makes you such a cumstain on these boards, that's fine, really.
But the point is, the number of people here that want to listen to a loudmouth asshole pushing their extreme political agenda on these boards is lower than you seem to think.

It just isn't that funny anymore, and people are tired of it dude. And yes, I know plenty of "those people" I'm talking about don't like me, and I don't care, the point still stands.

EDIT:

On topic - I don't care. But if this would in any way cut back on the amount of "We're here, we're queer" type of shit the rest of us have to deal with, I'm 100% behind it.
Last edited by Funkmasterr on February 18, 2009, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Let's clarify something a bit... There needs to be a line drawn between whether it matters to you if two people choose to marry and whether those two people have the same legal rights to marry as the majority of the population. One is a question of "should they," the other is a question of "can they." Hell, I don't really care if any couple chooses to marry, whether they're gay or straight because that's their business. My ambivalence towards other people's relationships isn't the issue, however. When asking if gays should be allowed to marry, the issue isn't whether or not Steve and Joe get married. It's not about whether or not one approves of gay relationships or is grossed out by gay sex. The issue is whether Steve and Joe should have the same fundamental rights to marry as David and Susan. The real question is, essentially, is it OK to deprive one group of people the same rights enjoyed by other people just because the nature of their relationship makes some people uncomfortable?

Bubba says he's OK with a group of people being discriminated against, and he's entitled to his own opinion on the matter. I'm curious exactly where the other "I don't care" voters stand on the real question.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Spang wrote:It's quite simple, really.
Apparently it's not.
- Ash
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I suppose what I said is technically true. I should elaborate just a bit though. I don't care (and I know I probably should) if they are being discriminated against or not because it doesn't effect me or my family directly. We (my family) aren't racists, classists, sexists, or hold anything against you based on religion (unless so drasticly against what we believe in) or your sexual preference.
For me personally, this is all stuff that happens in the news or on the internet. I don't run into this at work, at home, at the store, or at a sporting event. For me it always is happening somewhere else, to someone else. In the grand scheme of things gay marriage is pretty far down on my priority list of cares. I care about supporting my family. All this stuff seems incredibly petty.

Do I personally discriminate? I probably do. Not to the point of outright hatred or rage. Just as something or someone I choose to avoid if I can. I believe it is your actions that define you more so than any label.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Bubba - I can totally understand that it's an issue that you're not passionate about because it doesn't directly impact you or those close to you. There are plenty of issues for which my convictions just aren't strong enough for me to expend energy worrying about. I don't think that the point of Spang's question was to gauge the strength of our convictions on the subject, though. You don't have to be an activist to have an opinion. It doesn't commit you to writing letters, marching in the street or anything else to say "yes, I think they should have the right to marry" or "no, I think we should discriminate against this group of people."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xatrei wrote:Bubba - I can totally understand that it's an issue that you're not passionate about because it doesn't directly impact you or those close to you. There are plenty of issues for which my convictions just aren't strong enough for me to expend energy worrying about. I don't think that's the point of Spang's question, though. You don't have to be an activist to have an opinion. It doesn't commit you to writing letters, marching in the street or anything else to say "yes, I think they should have the right to marry" or "no, I think we should discriminate against this group of people."
We have a winner!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Behold my ninja editing skills!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:For two (or three) women yes. That's hot. For two men, no.

Women are all naturally at least bi. Men can stick to civil unions.

We now know what fucked Winnow up when he was growing up. He watched his parents having sex!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:What is the point in a politically motivated poll on this board? You already know the results in advance, so why bother? Are you looking for ways to swell up in pride at running every conservative leaning person off of here?
This isn't a conservative vs. liberal issue. It's a human rights issue.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It is both. Usually hot-button topics are.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I'm for gay marriage because if being gay is genetic, eventually gay people would no longer exist.

:vv_win:
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

For the record, I voted no. Civil unions yes, marriage no.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:For the record, I voted no. Civil unions yes, marriage no.
I admire your courage. Why not marriage?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

For those that see marriage as some sort of religious institution rather than a legal status, I'm more inclined to eliminate the word "marriage" from the government entirely. Out in the real world, the church's position on marriage is thoroughly irrelevant. The church has no say in if you get tax breaks, can adopt, or how inheritance laws apply to you, or resolve parental and spousal rights issues. That's the government's purview. Let the government issue unions for couples, gay and straight. Let marriage be a matter for the churches. If a church wants to recognize and sanction gay marriages, that's up to them.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I agree with that. Religion can have the word "marriage", and anyone who is interested in their deity of choice recognizing their partnership should go ahead and get "married". If they want to use that status in a legal manner however, require a "civil union license" that can be notarized or whatever at the church if they're getting "married", or at a courthouse if they are just entering a "civil union".

Any problems with that?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Looks good to me.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I voted yes, but I can deal with that... more separation of church and state is good.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:I agree with that. Religion can have the word "marriage", and anyone who is interested in their deity of choice recognizing their partnership should go ahead and get "married". If they want to use that status in a legal manner however, require a "civil union license" that can be notarized or whatever at the church if they're getting "married", or at a courthouse if they are just entering a "civil union".

Any problems with that?
Nope.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hmm. I like it.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:I agree with that. Religion can have the word "marriage", and anyone who is interested in their deity of choice recognizing their partnership should go ahead and get "married". If they want to use that status in a legal manner however, require a "civil union license" that can be notarized or whatever at the church if they're getting "married", or at a courthouse if they are just entering a "civil union".

Any problems with that?

I've said something along those lines multiple times on this forum. I'm too lazy to look them up.

Marriage should have nothing to do with our government.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Ashur wrote:Then paint a rainbow on me, put me in rubber chaps and add me to the Yes list, FFS. I'm not against it asshole. My best friend is gay and he doesn't seem to care either.
:vv_yeahthat:

I don't care as I don't care for anyone getting married.

If the question was "should gay couples have every right and benefit that straight couples do?" then I'll vote yes.

The inability to carry a label is not discriminatory.
Kilmoll's right. You guys are making this board a right royal pain-in-the-ass. Could you at least keep this shit in Current Events.
This however is complete bullshit. I see people that rant lunacy on both sides getting attacked here.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Zaelath wrote:
This however is complete bullshit. I see people that rant lunacy on both sides getting attacked here.
That's only if Nick is posting... 8)

I made my opinions clear on the prop 8 thread
http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... lit=Prop+8
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Xatrei wrote:For those that see marriage as some sort of religious institution rather than a legal status, I'm more inclined to eliminate the word "marriage" from the government entirely. Out in the real world, the church's position on marriage is thoroughly irrelevant. The church has no say in if you get tax breaks, can adopt, or how inheritance laws apply to you, or resolve parental and spousal rights issues. That's the government's purview. Let the government issue unions for couples, gay and straight. Let marriage be a matter for the churches. If a church wants to recognize and sanction gay marriages, that's up to them.
That would be ideal, but people are tremendously attached to their labels, and the label "marriage" is so ingrained in our culture that most people would never want to give it up even if they just lose it as legal-speak. Even still, the religious right would not be happy just minding their own gardens. Sadly, the only real solution is to let it play out. I'm hopeful that equality will win out eventually.

For those who selected "I don't care" the question didn't say anything about campaigning for the issue or whether it affected you. It's pretty obvious what was intended by the question. I suspect in some cases, some unacknowledged homophobia caused you to "misunderstand" the question, especially in the cases where some folks go so pissy in their responses too lol. Some people dont like questions that make them have to come to terms with their own bigotry I guess.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Some people are awfully quick to cry "bigot" and "racist" here. If it makes you feel better about yourself it's all good I suppose.

:roll:
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

"The path to Auschwitz was paved with indifference." -Ian Kershaw

Not everyone in Germany was a raving anti-Semite. They were just apathetic. I believe this is the pont Xatrei is driving at.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Did you just play the Nazi card because everyone doesn't believe in homosexual marriage?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Ashur wrote:You guys create a poll and then redefine wtf the entries mean to suit your agendas. I think what Spang meant to post was was:

Do you want us to attack you or give you a reacharound?
A. Reacharoundplz!
B. Attack me!

I have a pair. I responded didn't I. I even stated my position. Which was, not surprisingly, similar to Kilmoll's: I really don't care.

I'm not against gay marriage, hey the more the merrier. Put it on the ballot and I may vote for it, but I'm not going to campaign for it because (once again) I don't really care. That doesn't mean I want people tattooed with numbers and sent to death camps.
I already pre-empted the "Nazi"'ing of this thread thanks...
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Did you just play the Nazi card because everyone doesn't believe in homosexual marriage?
He did.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I made my post to show the danger of apathy towards unjust deeds. I don't believe it's a good thing to be apathetic towards discrimination, but that's just me. I'm not telling anyone how to live (or not to live for that matter).

Perhaps you would perfer this quote instead:

“Apathy is the glove into which evil slips its hand”-Bodie Thoene
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Ashur wrote:Some people are awfully quick to cry "bigot" and "racist" here. If it makes you feel better about yourself it's all good I suppose.

:roll:
Quit spewing your bigotry here you fucking racist.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I would be very opposed to rounding up homosexuals to be baked in an oven just for being themselves. I'd be very opposed if anyone or any group of people were treated this way.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

What about if all homosexuals were rounded up and tickled until they were laughing uncomfortably?

It's pretty easy to say "well of course I don't want you to kill that group of people". No one is posting a poll like that because no one is going to answer that they want them dead. The poll, to me, seems like more of a "do you think we all deserve the same rights", and it's apparent that some people here think we do not.

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is because you are using incorrect verbage. Every gay person has the same RIGHTS. You are arguing for benefits.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Which definition of "right" do you like to go with, and how does marriage not fit in it?

At any rate, right, benefit, whatever... The poll should then say "Do you think it's cool to discriminate against people?" And your answer is, unsurprisingly, yes.

The end.

Go Blue!