Sargeras

WoW Discussion
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Sargeras

Post by Bagar- »

Are you still Ret? And still playing for that matter?
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Sargeras

Post by Sargeras »

Yes sir I am. Ret-4-life!

4/5 Hyjal, and we start BT next week.
Guild progression:
http://www.wowjutsu.com/us/bloodhoof/So ... 20Alliance

My armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Thordurin
(yeah Adela, I know my ratings suck :P)

What's up?
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

hey sarg. nice ratings, suckratings
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

We must kungfu fight!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

buddy, i havent seen ratings that bad since the Chevy Chase show
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

you skered? :vv_one_samuria:
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Well, atm I'm playing as Holy. My guild is 4/5 3/9 working on Arch (fuck that fight, seriously, it's like Karazhan Prince 2.0, so goddamn random).

However, soon, like this week, i'll be switching to Ret as my raiding spec. I'm also forming a Ret 2v2 and 3v3 based aroud warrior / ret 2 and war / ret / restosham 3.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... vh&n=Gavel is my armory. It probabaly shows me in ret gear and may or may not show me specced for pvp ret. It is my pve gear, though. For the time being.

Any advice on my gear though is appreciated. It's basically what i've been able to put together with badges and some pvp in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm aiming for the badge legs ASAP, and so the gems in my current legs are only placeholders. Going for 8 str / 4 str 4 crit / str and stam mostly... I don't have a meta yet but should when I get s3 helmet, or tier 6 helmet, whichever comes first heh.

My pve spec is a bit debatable. Atm i'm only hovering around 90 hit rating, which can easily be raised with gems.. however i'd rather not have to, so this was what I was thinking for pve raiding since my hit isn't near 140. Going for the 3% hit in protection rather than getting imp. Might or Vindication.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 3125331051

Any suggestions there are appreciated though..

Also, in regards to pve i'm under the impression that unless your gear has a decent amount of base armor pen (which mine doesn't and probabaly won't until I start getting BT / Hyjal gear and a soul cleaver or cats. edge) that savagery outweighs executioner. Your thoughts on that would be appreciated though, as that's only my guess.

I'm going off of a White attack - Judgement of Command - Crusader Strike -White attack - etc. rotation, I assume that's fairly baseline.

If I think of anything else i'll post it here... heh. It's still a work in progress but hopefully soon i'll be able to collect some real raiding gear.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner... two jobs sucks ><. Anyways, I'm under the assumption that you no longer raid SSC/TK so you will not have access to their goodies.

Talent tree:
First look of your talent tree, I see a very common mistake among beginning ret paladins. I highly recommend putting 5 points in Divine Strength. It easily overlooked as anything melee-oriented as it's in the first tier of the holy tree. Since our attack power comes from strength, we get the generic str:ap ratio of 1:2. However, with Divine Strength, that ups the ratio to 1:2.2, and with that you'll see a very nice boost in your AP. Since this is your PVE spec, you will most likely always have Kings and Gift of the Wild... these buffs will also scale with your strength and up the ratio again to 1:2.8ish. With Kings alone (say self-buffed), you'll easily break 2k+ AP.

Vindication in PVE is useless since almost all mobs in raid zones are immune to it (except VR till 2.4 and oh man that was nice :P). You'll also probably notice that chain bursts = aggro hi! I'd recommend getting Fanaticism so you can push yourself to the limit without pulling aggro.

Gear:
Overall your gear is fine since you're in the process of upgrading. I would recommend banking everything in PVP for Season 4. The spoiler sites already leaked out the Season 4 Ret gear and overall it is better than Tier 6. While T6 does have more AP (like 200ish more), it has less armor, crit, +hit, significantly less stamina, and has bonuses still attributed to spell damage (which we no longer require).

You'll need 4875 arena points to get the helmet, legs, and gloves and around 48k honor points with their respective marks to get the boots, belt, and bracers. You can alternate between 2 of the 3 for helmet, legs, or BP because they cost the same... but BP would be the least of an upgrade for you, so you can get that last. You'll want to socket gems for strength (first), then crit. So with either raiding (however your guild does it) or badges, get Bold Crimson Spinel and do enchants for strength. The meta is kind of a pickle because the new set only has 5 gem slots and the best dps meta requires 6, 2 of them being blue.

If your guild has nether vortexes to burn, I recommend a Red Belt of Battle until you can upgrade it to the S4 belt. For a cloak, the Shadowmoon Destroyer's Drape from Teron would be a great upgrade from Dory's.

Rings, Trinkets, Neck:
If you completed the Hyjal attunement quest, an awesome duo for rings is Band of the Eternal Champion and Unstoppable Aggressor's Ring. Otherwise, the next best thing would probably be the Ring of Deceitful Intent or the Angelista's Revenge from the Sunwell vendor come Phase 3.

The new drool-factor trinket is the Shard of Contempt (mmmm expertise rating) that drops off of Princess in heroic Magister's Terrace. That, plus Madness of the Betrayer or Darkmoon Card: Crusade (which I also have) would be an awesome trinket combination. I'm currently using a Tsunami Talisman from SSC, and all the guild rogues hate me rofl. The Shard will replace my Bloodlust Brooch when/if the bitch actually drops it.

The neck you have is the same I'm using and with Divine Strength it grants 70.4AP instead 64 w/o DS. The only potential upgrade I've seen so far the Shattered Sun Pendant of Might that comes from exalted Shattered Sun Offensive rep. While you lose 6.4AP, the proc is sooo nice (if you're Aldor-aligned, are you?).

That's about all I can think of atm. I'll post again if something comes up later, xand if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by Sargeras on March 31, 2008, 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

That was my pvp spec that you checked out. I'm raiding as 5 / 10 / 46.

I had a big long post typed but I backspaced on browser accidentally, and fuck it.

I'm getting another shadowsong amythest for the JC epic trinket (80 ap and a 320 ap click on a 1.5 minute cooldown)

Started raiding as ret tonight. Was a lot of fun and pulled around 1k dps when I wasn't dead. I also got into a bitch fight with another paladin because he told me (seriously) that I didn't need salv because I wouldn't be doing much damage. Lots of fun. I gave him shit for the rest of the night.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Figurine - Shadowsong Panther

It's little things like that that make me wish I picked up JC ><.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sargeras wrote:The meta is kind of a pickle because the new set only has 5 gem slots and the best dps meta requires 6, 2 of them being blue.
You do know that the secondary color gems count as both of their primary colors, right? If you're socketed with 2 purps, 2 orange, and 1 green, it counts as 4 reds, 3 blues, 3 yellows for socketing metas.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Sargeras wrote:Figurine - Shadowsong Panther

It's little things like that that make me wish I picked up JC ><.
Yeah.

We almost got Teron down tonight. Soul Cleaver soon I hope.

I'm the only Ret pally in my guild and we have no 2h dps warriors, so I have the benefit of getting very nearly any 2hander I choose. My end goal is a torch, but i'll probabaly pick up a SC or cats edge along the way.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

That'll probably be the route I take too. SC or CE -> TotD. I've been debating whether or not I want to stack armor penetration gear.

We have two DPS warriors. One is dual-weild fury, and the other is 2h MS (who refuses to respec), so he doesn't get put in very often. The fury warrior has a habit of collecting weapons, but I'll most likely have dibs since he spends a lot more DKP than me.

Akama bugged out on us last night, and the corpse poofed. No loots, no badges, and we were locked out of the rest of the instance :vv_arge: (it was a first attempt one-shot too :bad-words:). So we'll most likely get our first shot at Teron and Gurtogg this week since everything reset today.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

THATS ALL VERY INTERESTING BUT BACK TO MASTEEN'S QUESTION 8)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Down, cad!

I've got a healthy respect for ret paladins nowadays. We still don't have a permanent one, but every now and then one of our holy paladins will switch to ret for a raid and put out some healthy DPS, but yeah, only if they have WF. And in PVP their burst damage is extremely disgusting. Thank god for instant Ghost Wolf to help negate their snare!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

what the fuck- ret paladins have a snare now? are you thinking of avenger's shield? or justice?

they actually might have a snare now, so i am really asking that question- i more or less quit playing!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Hmm, I meant Judgment of Justice, but looking at wowhead it says the spell only prevents you from going faster than your normal run speed. I could have sworn I was snared far more than that tho :( My bad, I'm not a pvp expert by any means!
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

masteen wrote:
Sargeras wrote:The meta is kind of a pickle because the new set only has 5 gem slots and the best dps meta requires 6, 2 of them being blue.
You do know that the secondary color gems count as both of their primary colors, right? If you're socketed with 2 purps, 2 orange, and 1 green, it counts as 4 reds, 3 blues, 3 yellows for socketing metas.
For some reason I missed this post... Sorry Mas <3

And you're absolutely right, but it's still a pain since we can't get straight +10 str from gems since we have alternate colors.

The meta requires 2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 blues. So we'll alternate accordingly.

/spank Adela!
Dregor Thule wrote:Hmm, I meant Judgment of Justice, but looking at wowhead it says the spell only prevents you from going faster than your normal run speed. I could have sworn I was snared far more than that tho :( My bad, I'm not a pvp expert by any means!
I fucking love that spell, and the retarded druids that try to shapeshift out of it, and the rogues and fire mages who don't go anywhere :lol:. Combine that with Pursuit of Justice for running (which might have been why the paladin could catch up to you Dregor) and Crusader Aura for mounts and no one can run from a paladin, which was contrary to pre-TBC where every single class in the game had an escape method from paladins.

And yes, I'm a Windfury-addict. :(
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

I always used to joke about ret paladins pre-BC but I've been spending my extra arena points recently on picking up the full ret set. Looking forward to playing around in 3's with a cheesy double melee comp once I finish out my gear, will be nice to finally rape all the priests and druids and shit that I hate so much as holy.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Breagen wrote:I always used to joke about ret paladins pre-BC but I've been spending my extra arena points recently on picking up the full ret set. Looking forward to playing around in 3's with a cheesy double melee comp once I finish out my gear, will be nice to finally rape all the priests and druids and shit that I hate so much as holy.
From the arena perspective, people are finally starting to see how holy paladins are not the PVP gods they used to be. They have next-to-no situational healing at all because of the lack of HOT's and insta-casts (Holy Shock excluded).

What I find funny is the large sum of threads of screaming holy paladins claiming that they are now the shittiest of the three specs, and they deserve to be buffed. These are the same people who use to have the elitist attitude towards anyone who was something other than holy. The 'lolret' bandwagon left a long time ago, but unfortunately we still have people who refuse to let go of the past. They also conveniently neglect to remember that the original paladin class description stated that paladins were "a mix of a melee fighter and a secondary spell caster." Keyword there is: secondary.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Sargeras wrote:
Breagen wrote:I always used to joke about ret paladins pre-BC but I've been spending my extra arena points recently on picking up the full ret set. Looking forward to playing around in 3's with a cheesy double melee comp once I finish out my gear, will be nice to finally rape all the priests and druids and shit that I hate so much as holy.
From the arena perspective, people are finally starting to see how holy paladins are not the PVP gods they used to be. They have next-to-no situational healing at all because of the lack of HOT's and insta-casts (Holy Shock excluded).

What I find funny is the large sum of threads of screaming holy paladins claiming that they are now the shittiest of the three specs, and they deserve to be buffed. These are the same people who use to have the elitist attitude towards anyone who was something other than holy. The 'lolret' bandwagon left a long time ago, but unfortunately we still have people who refuse to let go of the past. They also conveniently neglect to remember that the original paladin class description stated that paladins were "a mix of a melee fighter and a secondary spell caster." Keyword there is: secondary.
whatever you need to tell yourself, lolret dude. :roll:
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

archeiron wrote:whatever you need to tell yourself, lolret dude. :roll:
Bring it on druid boy!
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Sargeras wrote:
archeiron wrote:whatever you need to tell yourself, lolret dude. :roll:
Bring it on druid boy!
I rolled a BE Paladin last week! :)

I will end up Prot though rather than Ret, but with much <3 for the ret paladins.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

My biggest issue with Ret paladins is that half of them fucking suck at it and don't put out near the numbers that they can. I've seen WWS of Ret paladins really holding their own in numbers, but I've been grouped with way too many shitty ones. In addition, PvP'ing a good Ret paladin is also fucking scary because of the burst it is capable of and most people just don't realize it.

It's a common problem Shadow Priests faced for a long time and I think most still do. I see a *lot* of fucking terribly geared Shadows Priests that from gear/gem choices just don't have a fucking clue, which is quite sad since gearing a Shadow Priest is almost so fucking 1 dimensional it should be obvious if somebody reads 1 thread on EJ or Shadowpriest.com or whatever the website was.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

I'll agree with you on the shitty ret paladins out there, and I will guarantee that it's more than half... I'd guess around ~90%. I've seen really bad ones who have absolutely no idea about their spec mechanics, just swing their 2hander, and wonder why they are last on dps. An excellent ret paladin is a rare find.

I picked up a Shard of Contempt last night, and OMFG I love it!
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Sargeras wrote:I'll agree with you on the shitty ret paladins out there, and I will guarantee that it's more than half... I'd guess around ~90%. I've seen really bad ones who have absolutely no idea about their spec mechanics, just swing their 2hander, and wonder why they are last on dps. An excellent ret paladin is a rare find.

I picked up a Shard of Contempt last night, and OMFG I love it!
Lucky bastard =/.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Oh, here's a WWS of BT tonight. I'm Gavel.

http://wowwebstats.com/zulzpwozatoey

I did a lot better on most bossfights than on the overall data, because frankly, aoe (or even close quarters multi-mob) packs can fuck off. I also afked for a good 10 minutes on Teron trash to get dinner :p.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Are you using max rank SoC?
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Yes.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Sorry for the old bump, but it seemed like the best place to put this.

For those interested in the spec and what's developing with/for it, we now have a website!

http://www.retpaladin.com
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Is that link safe for work?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Spang wrote:Is that link safe for work?
It's chock full of pallyporn!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

A bunch of nuns scissoring each other?

Very nice!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Spang wrote:A bunch of nuns scissoring each other?

Very nice!
pics pls
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I left my camera at the hotel. :(
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

I figured this would be the best place to post this...

I've been rather annoyed at the lack of leaked Alpha info for paladins (hunters haven't been released either, but who gives a fuck about them honestly).

Was checking wotlkwiki.com the other day (great site) and found this:

Quite honestly one of the reasons we saved paladins for last is because there is a lot we wanted to change with them. Paladins are changing probably more than any other class. The tiny little bit you heard at the WWI is just the beginning.

The discussion about a new healing spell was just to say yes, we think paladins need another healing mechanic. It isn’t finished yet. We don’t want to just hand them a thinly disguised druid or priest spell. We also want paladins to tank more actively and want retribution paladins to have a little better control over their damage without the bursts feeling quite so random. (And no, that’s not all we’re looking at).

It’s all coming. It’s just a lot of work. Try to stay positive. Everyone in the alpha was invited because they have a close connection to someone at Blizzard. You’re here because we value your feedback.

Source

Maybe this means paladins, (holy paladins in particular (i'm back to healing heh)), will get some real changes / fixes. Or maybe it means they're dicking around and i'll be switching over to a resto druid when Wrath launches.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Bagar- wrote:I've been rather annoyed at the lack of leaked Alpha info for paladins
How do you think I feel? :P
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sargeras wrote:
Bagar- wrote:I've been rather annoyed at the lack of leaked Alpha info for paladins
How do you think I feel? :P
Smug? :)
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

More like antsy. It's like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but the closer you get to it, the distance to it doesn't change. You know you're closer than most other people, but in the same boat as them since you can't get to it.

And after today, that light is even further away :(
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yes yes, the alpha ended. You better give us advance warning of when the beta is starting!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sarge. Beta key me. Now! :(

I must try out the DK!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Not sure how I feel about the stat changes (i.e. spell power instead of +dmg or +healing, making gear work for both types), or a bunch of the class changes (i don't think the changes to holy paladins made them much more viable in arena). I guess they wanted to take RNG out of everything, which might be a good thing.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

WotLK Beta: Phase 1 ~ Ret.

Yeah, I think I'm getting nerfed.

I did it again later and got 18kish damage/4.4k mana. :D
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!