Now thats baseball!

What do you think about the sports world?
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Now thats baseball!

Post by Trek »

What a game!

Even tho Holliday never touched the plate, was still a great game :lol:
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Now thats baseball!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

No shit!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Trek wrote:Even tho Holliday never touched the plate, was still a great game :lol:
That's what happens when you block the plate like that though, it makes it hard for the umpire to see on the other side.

I was cheering for both teams since I like em. I'm glad it went into extra innings.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I was there! The grand slam in the 3rd landed two seats away from me.

I got tickets to Game 3 & 4 (if needed). I thought at the beginning of the season that we might have a chance, but never thought they would end the season winning 13 of 14. Most of those wins (7) came off of the Dodgers though, with the last series being played with six call-ups in the line up. The last two games at home were played against a Diamondbacks team which had already clinched home-field advantage, so they weren't playing for anything. Still amazing. This is a team the swept the Yankees, of course they lost the next 8 games.

Go Rox!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyphir wrote:I was there! The grand slam in the 3rd landed two seats away from me.

I got tickets to Game 3 & 4 (if needed). I thought at the beginning of the season that we might have a chance, but never thought they would end the season winning 13 of 14. Most of those wins (7) came off of the Dodgers though, with the last series being played with six call-ups in the line up. The last two games at home were played against a Diamondbacks team which had already clinched home-field advantage, so they weren't playing for anything. Still amazing. This is a team the swept the Yankees, of course they lost the next 8 games.

Go Rox!
Rockies are looking good but Brandon Webb and the D'Backs are the one team that beat Colorado during that end of year streak! With Colorado up 2-0 in their series and the D'Backs up 2-0, it looks like we're in for a great second round series. D'Backs would have the home field advantage which is a big deal considering how well the Rockies play at home.

I hope the D'Backs finish off the Cubs tomorrow or Sunday so they can start Webb the first game against the Rockies.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

That NL West sure does suck
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

How 'bout them Indians.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I am just happy that the Phils and Yanks are losing.

Go Mets.... :(
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Winnow wrote:
Xyphir wrote:I was there! The grand slam in the 3rd landed two seats away from me.

Go Rox!
Rockies are looking good but Brandon Webb and the D'Backs are the one team that beat Colorado during that end of year streak! With Colorado up 2-0 in their series and the D'Backs up 2-0, it looks like we're in for a great second round series. D'Backs would have the home field advantage which is a big deal considering how well the Rockies play at home.

I hope the D'Backs finish off the Cubs tomorrow or Sunday so they can start Webb the first game against the Rockies.
I was at that game as well, and Webb pitched a beaut! Frankly, I'm surprised they have Francis starting against Webb, considering Josh Fogg has beaten him before. I believe Webb's record this year agaist the Rockies is 1 - 3, with an ERA of just under 6, so the Rockies can hit him. Webb can't pitch all 7 games, so someone else will have to step it up as well. They played a great series against the Cubs though. I'm looking forward to the series, but I'll have to watch it on TV unless I get lucky with a ticket.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyphir wrote:[qu I believe Webb's record this year against the Rockies is 1 - 3, with an ERA of just under 6, so the Rockies can hit him. Webb can't pitch all 7 games, so someone else will have to step it up as well. They played a great series against the Cubs though. I'm looking forward to the series, but I'll have to watch it on TV unless I get lucky with a ticket.
Ouch, I didn't know Webb's record was that bad vs the Rockies with the exception of that last game. Overall, Colorado edged the D'Backs 10-8 head to head this year so it's pretty close.

Considering how well the Rockies are playing, the D'Backs MUST win at home or they don't stand a chance. The high altitude of Denver really screws with the movement of pitches.

I'd flip a coin to determine the outcome of this series. Colorado has been playing out of their minds but have to come down sometime for a breather. The D'Backs are so young, they don't seem to be affected by any post season pressure and just keep playing hard.

The series start on Thursday seems a long ways off. Might cool off the Rockies! : )
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Last night's game was another great one. I love the controversy of "the slide". I thought Upton made a good hard slide, and considering it's the NLCS, it shouldn't have been interference but I'll take it. The reaction by some of the fans was completely uncalled for. There are always a few asshats in every crowd though. It was surprising to me that the games in AZ weren't sold out. The NLCS has been sold out for over a week in Denver. It would be cheaper for me to fly to Arizona and get tickets than to try and scalp them here. How embarrassing that the D'Backs can't even sell out games to the NLCS.

My favorite moment watching the game was when Kazuo Matsui hits the RBI single. My wife turns to me and says, "Maybe we should name the baby Kazuo." She's 9 months pregnant and wants to go to the World Series.

Go Rox!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Xyphir wrote:Last night's game was another great one. I love the controversy of "the slide". I thought Upton made a good hard slide, and considering it's the NLCS, it shouldn't have been interference but I'll take it.
The replays made it look rather intentional. He didn't look out of control at all, I think it was a good call on interference.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyphir wrote:Last night's game was another great one. I love the controversy of "the slide". I thought Upton made a good hard slide, and considering it's the NLCS, it shouldn't have been interference but I'll take it. The reaction by some of the fans was completely uncalled for. There are always a few asshats in every crowd though. It was surprising to me that the games in AZ weren't sold out. The NLCS has been sold out for over a week in Denver. It would be cheaper for me to fly to Arizona and get tickets than to try and scalp them here. How embarrassing that the D'Backs can't even sell out games to the NLCS.
I don't think it was a great game. The Diamondbacks were very disappointing so it was a well deserved win for Colorado but not a great game to watch. Colorado looked sharp.

I thought it was a good call on Upton. He raised his arm while sliding which went beyond what would be considered a normal "take out" slide at 2nd. If the play was shown on the big screen (which they won't do in baseball), I thin kthe fans wouldn't have reacted so badly as they would have seen it wasn't such a bad call, or actually the right call IMO. That play did pretty much end the game for the D'Back as it was their last big chance to put runs on the board.

The D'Backs made a few fielding errors which was also disappointing. Having watched their last 10 games or so, they've been fielding great.

I hope the D'Backs rebound tonight but that first loss is huge. I wouldn't count the D'Backs out as they have the type of team that can pull wins out of the blue but its clear that Colorado is the better team, especially confidence-wise atm.

Sunday's game forecast in Denver is for temperatures in the 40's with a chance of rain...great baseball weather!

As for the fans showing up late to the game, our normal start time is 7:00pm. This game started at 5:30pm on a Thursday so people were making their way to the game from work. It didn't seem like a big deal to me. I had to listen to the first inning or so in the car on my way home.

Tonight's game starts at 7:00pm. The stadium should be fuller although it's apparent that the Phoenix valley isn't that into the series. The Suns and Cardinals get a lot more attention even though it's the D'Backs that brought the state a championship. Suns games have sold out for years and the Cardinals have sold out before the season started the past two years as well.

If the D'Backs go down, I'll be rooting for the Rockies in the World Series.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I think tonights Indians/BoSox matchup is quite enticing. Beckett vs. Sabathia is worth the price of admission alone. The two best teams and the two best pitchers going at it. Will be a fun game. And I hate baseball!
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Now that was a good game. Grats Rockies.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Red Sox = Buzzsaw
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I dont think the Dbacks sold out any of those games, on ESPN radio they said they where selling tickets as lows as $9 just to fill the stadium. Thats pathetic, get to the NLCS and still dont have the fans to support you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:I dont think the Dbacks sold out any of those games, on ESPN radio they said they where selling tickets as lows as $9 just to fill the stadium. Thats pathetic, get to the NLCS and still dont have the fans to support you.
With pro sports, baseball ranks 4th behind the Suns, Cardinals, and sleeping in Arizona. What's pathetic is if the D'Backs win another World Series with low payroll and low fan support while your cities bust your balls, spend more and lose. (ok maybe the 2001 payroll wasn't that low!)

The D'Backs are a young team. They've overachieved all year and the fans that do loyally follow baseball in AZ appreciate their efforts. I don't hear the players complaining about the fans and I see a bright future in AZ with a solid young team at half the price of those Yankees that are sitting at home watching the series just like me. despite Randy Johnson being over the hill and out for the season early on, we have a great young pitching staff in place.

Colorado is the better team. It's easy to see but at least with this second game, the D'Backs gave them 11 innings of hard fought baseball.

At least the Diamondbacks are the team are responsible for the one loss out of Colorado's last 20 games. Now they just need to take 2 of 3 in Colorado and come back here for a chance to take the series!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote:
What's pathetic is if the D'Backs win another World Series with low payroll and low fan support while your cities bust your balls, spend more and lose.

Right, an owner spending the money to try to win is pathetic. Good thing the Dbacks didnt spend any money to win their first WS.

Perhaps teams with low fan support should go away. Not like anyone will miss them, besides if the dbacks are that far behind a pathetic Cardinal franchise and an equally worthless Coyote franchise after being as successful as they have been, Pheonix is not worthy of baseball.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:
Perhaps teams with low fan support should go away. Not like anyone will miss them, besides if the dbacks are that far behind a pathetic Cardinal franchise and an equally worthless Coyote franchise after being as successful as they have been, Pheonix is not worthy of baseball.

Maybe the owners are just smart enough to win without wasting money on washed up "superstars" Our big ticket "Randy Johnson" didn't even play most the season.

Again, there's no complaints about the fans in AZ except from outside the state. Cardinals and Suns sellout before the season starts.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote:

Maybe the owners are just smart enough to win without wasting money on washed up "superstars" Our big ticket "Randy Johnson" didn't even play most the season.

Again, there's no complaints about the fans in AZ except from outside the state. Cardinals and Suns sellout before the season starts.

Your right, teams that have big payrolls never win. Stating that the Suns and Cards sell out before the season starts and the Dbacks cant even sell out when they have won a title and are now again in the NLCS just proves my point, so what are you trying to say?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote: Your right, teams that have big payrolls never win. Stating that the Suns and Cards sell out before the season starts and the Dbacks cant even sell out when they have won a title and are now again in the NLCS just proves my point, so what are you trying to say?
I'm saying that baseball sucks but I'm proud of the D'Backs accomplishments anyway!

The D'Backs are competing with:

The Suns: best team in the NBA and defending champs (ref cheated, throwing the WCF and San Antonio's blatant dirty play disqualify them)

The Cardinals: currently in first place in the NFC West

The Sun Devils: 7-0 and better than the team that will be ranked #1 after this weekend

That's some tough competition considering basketball and football are so much more interesting than baseball.

The Phoenix Mercury probably didn't sell out either yet they're World Champions.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Arizona is a joke of a sports state. A bunch of also rans. At least Ohio fields a bunch of runner ups.

Yes, I am predicting the Indians to go to the World Series.

And lose.
Fuck Michigan!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I forgot to ask how the Suns and Cardinals did in their home games during those first 2 NLCS games
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Looks to me like the D-backs are about to get their asses swept.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Looks to me like the D-backs are about to get their asses swept.

Boston won 4 straight against the Yankees in '04!

It can be done!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Winnow wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Looks to me like the D-backs are about to get their asses swept.

Boston won 4 straight against the Yankees in '04!

It can be done!
Did they do it against a team that was 20-1 in their last 21 games including 6-0 in the playoffs?
umm no
Sabek
Just Sabek
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Top of the Fifth... Bye-bye, AZ. Na na na na Na na na na Hey hey hey Good bye....
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good luck in the World Series Colorado! No complaints here. The D'Backs got smoked by a 20-21 win team that's been steamrolling everyone lately.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Lets see here.....that is D-backs swept, Cardinals season done, and ASU up next to get their nancy asses knocked back to reality. Lets hope for this week!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

They are off this week I think.

Good news though, the Indians are still going strong!
Fuck Michigan!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

WooHoo! What an amazing run the Rockies are on. I was at the one game in the 21 they lost, but also at the Padres playoff and Game 3 of the Phillies series so I can safely attend the World Series without feeling like a jinx. Getting Byrnes for the final out was poetic, and the expression by Helton said it all. I just wish he could have done more and won the MVP. I thought the MVP should have gone to the pitching staff. Take away the Fuentes debacle in the 8th, and the Rockies gave up only 5 runs in 4 games. Defense wins championships!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

In general, I do not care about the National League, and moreso teams in the West. But I am officially now cheering for the Rockies, and I hope they win the World Series.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I hope the Indians play them so I can cheer against you, Sylvus.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Eh, I'll be mostly indifferent. Part of me will want the tribe to win, because they're AL Central. The part that wants the Rockies to win is just because they ruined the hopes of an Arizona sports team.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Good luck to the Rockies in the WS. As much as I wanted the D'Backs to go again, it's nice to see a brand new team in there. A thing about Chase Field, I've been to roughly a dozen games there and the only time I sat in the $9 cheap seats I thought I was going to fall out of the upper deck. Those seats are scary steep and the nose bleed view was painful to watch up there :P

Still rooting for the Tribe to continue their winning ways and beat beantown down. ;)

Yeah yeah, still not over 2004 :P