Toyota Rav4

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Toyota Rav4

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

Does anyone have any personal experience with them? I'm looking to buy a new car and pretty set on a new Rav4. I haven't really heard anything bad about them or Toyota in general. If you have experience with 'em please share. Also if you have one and wish you would have gotten something with it. Like if you got 4x2 and wish you would have gotten a 4x4!
Thinking of something new!
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

They're nice small SUVs, typical Toyota high quality.

I was thrilled back in the mid 90s when I heard Toyota was planning to come out with a replacement to the Land Cruiser FJ40, the RAV4 wasn't quite what I was expecting though.

I'd get the 4x4.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

My gf drives one. 2003, FWD and loaded. Nice car for sure just not my thing :) She loves it though! Just don't expect a huge powerhouse of a SUV and you should be happy. Very reliable, comfy and without enough room when needed. We rarely use the back seat so not too worried about the room there but it is possible that tall people could get cramped on long trips due to leg space. Other than that.. fine.

I was a bit disappointed the first time I drove it in the snow but I think that was the tires on it. They need to be replaced. Oh yeah, you'll get decent MPG as well. Not stellar but not bad.

Personally, I think AWD is a waste on it though if you go for that.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I have never owned anything but Toyotas since I was able to drive. I have my second Tacoma now, but would easily buy the Rav4 if I wanted a small SUV. These things last a long time and Toyota always has nice interiors, etc. Yeah, they are expensive compared to Ford Exploders, etc, but that extra $$$ goes into quality and longevity.

No, I do not work for Toyota--it is just that my stepdad was exec VP for TMC, so I kind of have a responsibility. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Canno, I assume you like the Tacoma? I had a new 4x4 Standard Bed Pickup back in 1986 and that sucker was awesome. I followed that up with a Tercel in 1991 and after that I went with a Nissan Altima in 1999 (test drove Corolla and Camry, Corolla felt cheap and Camry was overpriced). I think my next vehicle will probably be a new Tacoma, probably in '07.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Tenuvil wrote:They're nice small SUVs, typical Toyota high quality.

I was thrilled back in the mid 90s when I heard Toyota was planning to come out with a replacement to the Land Cruiser FJ40, the RAV4 wasn't quite what I was expecting though.

I'd get the 4x4.
That's actually pretty interesting. Toyota is going to be releasing their new FJ Cruiser soon. Probably a lot more capable for off-road needs than the Rav-4 but it's a little quirky looking.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Looks a little retro almost. Nearly as ugly as the Honda Element though. What was Honda thinking when they came up with that thing?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Chidoro wrote:
Tenuvil wrote:They're nice small SUVs, typical Toyota high quality.

I'd get the 4x4.
That's actually pretty interesting. Toyota is going to be releasing their new FJ Cruiser soon. Probably a lot more capable for off-road needs than the Rav-4 but it's a little quirky looking.

OOOHH HEY NOW

That's what I'm talking about! 2006 or 2007?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

They say it will be in dealerships in early 2006 so I guess it will be considered a 2007 MY. This is the press release in PDF format:

http://www.toyota.com/images/pdfs/fjpr.pdf
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I bit too round in the rear and that is an awful color, but it looks pretty functional for 4x4. I imagine it will have a hefty $ tag as well. At least they didn't follow the herd and create another SUV that looks more like a minivan! ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

I was going to go to the dealership today but ended up working. I'll be going tomorrow for sure though! Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to see all of the pro-toyota. Although that's what I was expecting :)
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

I went in and test drove the Rav. It was what I was expecting as far as ride, power, room, and quietness. What I wasn't expecting was driving a Highlander (3000ish more.) Well, let's just say hands down for the difference the Highlander is an awesome car. Same gas mileage and the ride is awesome in comparison. Not to mention it's a hell of a lot roomier. I want one!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I bet Honda sells something that could whip it's ass....

*cues Pherr*

:lol:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ugliest new car on the planet:

We spent the entire 80's getting rid of the boxed car look.

There are a lot of things going 70's retro but the look of cars shouldn't be one of them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I see your Element and raise you a Pontiac Spaztek.

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

I'll match your Spaztec and Element and raise you a Scion boxcar :P

Back on track though. Great Toyota quality as usual. We had a Toyota 4Runner since 1986 with the original engine and 270,000 miles. Very reliable!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Actually I think the rav is a better car then the crv... other then bein alil smaller inside... I'd own a rav before a rather bland and plain crv any day of the week
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Ugh hate the Highlander. Lady at work has one and she hates it, as do I after driving it.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Kelshara wrote:Ugh hate the Highlander. Lady at work has one and she hates it, as do I after driving it.
Amen to that... I actually like the xterra over the pilot and highlander... my problems with the crv styling are repeated in the pilot... in fact it just looks like a CRV on steroids (decent enough vehicle to sell a ton of, just lacks any style to me), the highlander is cramped for it's size, vastly overpriced and in my opinion, underpowered as well.

Jefferson
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Highlander has "camry-itis" in regard to its price.

I think a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra are equally capable compared to Toyota Highlander and Rav4 respectively, and tend not to have sticker bloat.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Tenuvil wrote:Highlander has "camry-itis" in regard to its price.

I think a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra are equally capable compared to Toyota Highlander and Rav4 respectively, and tend not to have sticker bloat.
I actually hate the pathfinder too.... tho come to think of it I think all midsize SUV's suck ass... it's people who should be driving a van bein too proud to drive a van, guess what... you don't look any cooler!

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Waran wrote:I'll match your Spaztec and Element and raise you a Scion boxcar :P

Back on track though. Great Toyota quality as usual. We had a Toyota 4Runner since 1986 with the original engine and 270,000 miles. Very reliable!

All in!

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Miir takes the pot! Those things are hideous.

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

ill take wood trim on the river!