Sheff is my Idol

What do you think about the sports world?
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Sheff is my Idol

Post by Soreali »

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/m ... p&c_id=nyy

No Ron Artest here.. He held is composure and didn't make himself look bad.

I think the fan should have been drilled in the face by him personally.
Timmah.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

He looked pissed as all hell, but did not make contact with the idiot fan, dispite his likely intentions.

Far as I can tell from revieing the replays, the Yanks outfielder did OK, despite his obvious anger.

As far as the person who reached down for whatever reason--I am guessing to flip the hat off--well, it appeared too obvious that he was not going for the ball...

This whole thing seems quite overblown, but obviously gets attention due to the OAK-RNG debacle last year and the more recent retardation with the IND-DET NBA game.
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I am real suprised that Sheffield didn't go after the guy. A few years ago he definitely would have been into the stands.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Actually, I was watching this game live and he did go for the ball. He was removed from the game and arrested where he admitted trying to scoop up the foul ball but hitting Sheffield in the nose instead. It should be noted that he was drunk so his coordination was way off.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Zamtuk wrote:Actually, I was watching this game live and he did go for the ball. He was removed from the game and arrested where he admitted trying to scoop up the foul ball but hitting Sheffield in the nose instead. It should be noted that he was drunk so his coordination was way off.

Been to many sports events, never did understand the publics need to be drunk at a game. I would personally love to see all alcohol sales at sporting events banned. People are assholes enuf without the alcohol.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

It will never happen Mid. The money they make on beer sales is enormous when you can charge 5.50 for a 20 oz cup.

I watched it live and it sure looked like the guy wasn't trying to hit him but he did. It was pretty funny watching the guy try to hide with the entire Yankee team pointing him out.

What can you do, it's only a 3 foot wall and fans are plastered against it. It's almost amazing it hasn't happened before.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Zamtuk wrote:Actually, I was watching this game live and he did go for the ball. He was removed from the game and arrested where he admitted trying to scoop up the foul ball but hitting Sheffield in the nose instead. It should be noted that he was drunk so his coordination was way off.
Actually he was not arrested - he was kicked out of the game, but he was not arrested.

And being drunk is no excuse - there's no reason for a fan to interfere or touch any player that is on the playing field.

I think sheffield held amazing composure, you could tell at one point he wanted to just haul off and smack the guy, but he didn't - even after getting a beer thrown at him.

I don't know what it is about fans lately - overstepping their bounds.
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

Since when is being drunk a good excuse/defense for the guys action. Granted I didn't see the game nor the replay, but I was at the Palace on Nov.19th. Regardless of this guys state, he made contact with the player while the player was in the field a play, so this guy needs to have an example made of him.
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
poppa - N00b Conglomerate Emerald
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

big deal the guy tried to get a foul ball, and he brushed into Sheffield, who in a fit of roid rage interpretted it as an attack on his person.

sheffield actually did take a swing at the guy. much moreso than the fan did at him.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Yes, please watch the replay before you comment on it, the guy wanted a ball and bumped the player, had it been anywhere else with any other teams (cept maybe giants/dodgers) noone would have assumed anything nor done anything. It was Shef being an ass and assuming he was being attacked
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voronwë wrote:big deal the guy tried to get a foul ball, and he brushed into Sheffield, who in a fit of roid rage interpretted it as an attack on his person.

sheffield actually did take a swing at the guy. much moreso than the fan did at him.
Yeah, people here are overreacting just like Sheffield did. The guy waved his arm along the wall like everyone else was just hoping the ball would continue to roll while the Boston player advanced.

I had to watch a bazillion replays of this non event. It would have been a great injustice if that fan was arrested.

Basically, the fan didn't even see Sheffield much less take a swing at him. He was looking at the ball , not really even reaching for it, just waving his hand and Sheffield bumped into him.

Chill out! I can see why Sheffield got upset as he couldn't tell what was happening while tracking the ball but this should blow over quickly.
Last edited by Winnow on April 15, 2005, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Pretty fucking low standards if someone is your idol because they didn't attack a fan who touched them.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

miir wrote:Pretty fucking low standards if someone is your idol because they didn't attack a fan who touched them.
you just have to understand the type of subhuman filth that embodies the typical Yankees fan.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Voronwë wrote:
miir wrote:Pretty fucking low standards if someone is your idol because they didn't attack a fan who touched them.
you just have to understand the type of subhuman filth that embodies the typical Yankees fan.
Voro is sporting as much non-partisan behavior here as CNN commenting on the Bush administration. :lol:
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i thought i was being charitable. you should hear my take on Philly fans! :p
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Voronwë wrote:
Yep, and the drunken cesspool of Boston fans (with a fresh beer an inning after the the drinks are supposedly cut off) are a bastion of good manners.

Let's call a spade a spade, you're pissed at Sheff because he bolted from your irrelevant team
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

actually, the Braves were smart to let Sheffield go. they replaced his production last year for 33% of the cost. this year is a different story but even still, he's a waste of money.

he cant hit in the playoffs. he sucks in the playoffs therefore, he isnt worht shit.

edit: he had a great 1997 postseason, and he was good last year. HOWEVER, for the Braves he was 3 for 30 in 2 postseason campaigns with ONE RBI. so good riddance. he was worthless for Atlanta.

by the way what about the woman Shef knocked over too when he pushed the guy?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

i thought i was being charitable. you should hear my take on Philly fans!
Humanity's last hope for redemption?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voronwë wrote:
by the way what about the woman Shef knocked over too when he pushed the guy?
That's a good point. Sheffield didn't even look before swinging the first time. He would have hit a lady or kid. He just felt something hit him and swung like a blind drunk.

He's extremely lucky he didn't connect and that it happened to be a man.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

He didn't swing, he pushed off. And he knew exactly who and what he pushed off against. The woman pulled back, didn't get pushed over. And I am willing to bet the fan kew exactly where Sheff was.

Kudos to Sheff for not punching him. Kudos to the security guard who dived over the wall. And surprise surprise about you Yankees hater.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kelshara wrote:He didn't swing, he pushed off. And he knew exactly who and what he pushed off against. The woman pulled back, didn't get pushed over. And I am willing to bet the fan kew exactly where Sheff was.

Kudos to Sheff for not punching him. Kudos to the security guard who dived over the wall. And surprise surprise about you Yankees hater.
If it would have been Duncan getting into a fight with a Suns Fan in Phoenix your story would have been different!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Nope but if it was Amare slobbering all over a cute Spurs fan it sure as hell would have been!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Lotsa good points.... I think he will get a suspension because he did indeed go after a fan, minimal contact or not. You just don't reach or go in to the stands. I still think the swat or whatever was intentional by the fan. Not going to defend nor condemn Sheff... my initial post was aimed at the fan based on what I saw via replay--this post is based upon the very point that should have been pounded into players since the Dodgers vs fans debacle a while back....
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Double post for the win!
Last edited by Soreali on April 16, 2005, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timmah.

Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Ok Miir, lets analyze this..

1) It was sarcasm.. I'd do a dictionary.com link but its getting used enough.

2) Would you have preferred if I said Ron Artest was my idol because he jumped into the stands and drilled a guy for throwing a beer at him?

3) Sheffield did a great job at not tarnishing the games already tarnished image even more by not drilling the guy upside his head.

I watched the replay over and over like everone else and agree the beer getting spilled on him was an accident. I also agree that yes, he should have had a little more patience and not brushed the prick off.

The one thing I must say is that security did a hell of a job getting in there quickly and defusing the situation.
Voronwë wrote: you just have to understand the type of subhuman filth that embodies the typical Yankees fan
Have you ever been to a Yankee game at the Stadium? With the exception of the Bleecher Creatures (Which they're called for a reason) Yankee fans are nowhere near what you attempted to describe them as.

Red Sox fans on the other hand...(and I mean at Fenway)
Timmah.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Nice double post! :D But seriously, this is pretty much a non-issue as nothing really happened. Sheffield may be a primadonna, but he did not show that certain...how do ya call it.... Artest. Someday maybe...
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

baseball fans that interfere with the game are dumbasses. keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times!
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Soreali wrote:Have you ever been to a Yankee game at the Stadium? With the exception of the Bleecher Creatures (Which they're called for a reason) Yankee fans are nowhere near what you attempted to describe them as.

Red Sox fans on the other hand...(and I mean at Fenway)
So it was only the "Bleecher Creatures" that were throwing baseballs onto the field during the ALCS? Don't think so...
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Jeffrey Mayer anyone?

no i haven't been to a game at "The" Stadium. I had tickets to one 2 summers ago on Labor Day, but it was raining, and i had an evening flight, so i didnt want to go up to the Bronx to sit and watch a tarp just to go all the way back down to LGA.

i was more being a smart ass than trying to make a real sociological point =).

now Philly fans on the other hand truly are degenerate filth!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Yeah they suck!
Timmah.

Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Do Philly fans also throw coins and batteries at opposing players? NY fans suck teh big cack.
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

Philly fans boo Santa Claus