PSN is down.. Could be 2 days till full service is restored

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PSN is down.. Could be 2 days till full service is restored

Post by Aslanna »

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html
A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony a day after the company publicly admitted that personal information from PlayStation Network was compromised by a security breach. The lawsuit was filed by the Rothken Law Firm today in a California court and alleges Sony "failed to take reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data."

Yesterday, Sony said it believes an unauthorized person obtained PSN user information, including members' names, addresses, birthdays, and login passwords. The company said there was no evidence that credit card information was stolen, but did not rule out that possibility.

"We brought this lawsuit on behalf of consumers to learn the full extent of Sony PlayStation Network data security practices and the data loss and to seek a remedy for consumers. We are hopeful that Sony will take this opportunity to learn from the network vulnerabilities, provide a remedy to consumers who entrusted their sensitive data to Sony, and lead the way in data security best practices going forward," said Ira P. Rothken an attorney who filed the class action complaint.

"Sony's breach of its customers' trust is staggering. Sony promised its customers that their information would be kept private. One would think that a large multinational corporation like Sony has strong protective measures in place to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of personal information, including credit card information. Apparently, Sony doesn't," commented J.R. Parker, co-counsel in the case.

The lawsuit seeks monetary compensation for the data loss and "loss of use of the Sony PlayStation Network, credit monitoring, and other relief according to proof."

IGN has contacted Sony for comment.
You can find pdf copy of the complaint at bottom of article. I haven't looked at it yet myself.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What I find astounding is they still haven't let their customers know other than on the blog thing. What if I didn't pay attention to that or online forums? They haven't sent any sort of emails out as near as I can tell. I realize it's a lot of accounts but they could go by last access or something.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Emails have been sent out.
Visit the link below to view in a Web page.
http://playstation-email.com/v?xnJHcqvEHWlTvqvnTvPn

Add PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com to your address book

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained.
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.
Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

Cher utilisateur du PlayStation Network et des services Qriocity:

Nous avons découvert qu'entre le 17 et le 19 avril 2011, certaines informations provenant des comptes PlayStation Network et des services Qriocity ont été compromises suite à une intrusion illégale et non autorisée dans notre système. En conséquence nous avons dû:

1) Arrêter temporairement les services PlayStation Network et les services Qriocity;

2) Engager une société extérieure reconnue dans la sécurité pour mener une enquête complète sur ce qu'il s'est passé;

3) Améliorer notre sécurité rapidement et renforcer nos infrastructures réseaux en reconstruisant notre système avec une protection accrue des données personnelles.

Nous vous remercions de votre patience alors que nous travaillons dur pour résoudre ces difficultés.

Alors que nous enquêtons sur les détails de cet incident, nous pensons qu'une personne non autorisée a eu accès aux informations que vous nous avez transmises: nom, adresse (ville, état, code postal), pays, adresse email, date de naissance, logins et mots de passe du PlayStation Network et des services Qriocity, et PSN ID. Il est aussi possible que vos informations de profil aient été touchées, incluant l'historique de vos achats et l'adresse de facturation (ville, état, code postal) ainsi que la réponse a votre question de sécurité pour votre mot de passe. Si vous possédez des comptes secondaires, les mêmes données sont concernées. Si vous avez fourni vos données de carte bancaire au travers du PlayStation Network ou des services Qriocity, il est prudent de vous avertir que votre numéro de carte bancaire (excluant le code de sécurité) et sa date d'expiration sont concernés. Il n’y a pas de preuve d’obtention des données de cartes de crédit mais nous ne pouvons pas écarter cette possibilité.

Pour votre sécurité, nous vous encourageons à être vigilant au sujet d'emails, appels téléphoniques, et courriers postaux qui pourraient demander des informations personnelles. Sony ne vous contactera d'aucune façon, incluant les emails, en vous demandant vos numéros bancaires, de sécurité sociale, ou d'autres numéros ou informations d'identification personnelle. Si l'on vous demande ces informations, soyez sûr que cette demande ne provient pas de Sony. De plus si vous utilisez les mêmes noms d'utilisateur et mot de passe pour des services non liés au PlayStation Network ou aux services Qriocity, nous vous recommandons fortement de les changer. Quand le PlayStation Network et les services Qriocity seront réactivés, nous vous recommandons également de changer vos identifiants.

Pour se protéger contre de possibles vols d'identité ou des pertes financières, nous vous encourageons à rester vigilant sur l'évolution de vos données de compte, votre crédit ou toutes autres données.

Nous vous remercions de votre patience pendant l'investigation de cet incident, et nous regrettons la gêne occasionnée. Nos équipes travaillent sans relâche sur ce problème, et nos services seront de retour dès que possible.

Sony prend la question de la protection des informations très au sérieux et continuera à travailler afin que des mesures additionnelles soient prises pour protéger les informations personnelles. Fournir des services de loisirs de qualité et sécurisés pour nos utilisateurs restent notre priorité. Merci de nous contacter sur 1-800-345-7669 si vous avez d'autres questions.

Sincèrement,

Sony Network Entertainment et Sony Computer Entertainment
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I have not received any email of the sort. Nothing in my spam folder either. So that's not helping me any.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I checked my email and it's there. It arrived at 6pm.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nothing here!

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I got it. 9:36 pm it arrived.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Edit: Will make this it's own post since it's got me so angry!
It appears the rumored class-action lawsuits against SCEA could be over before they even started. The Supreme Court gave corporations a major win Wednesday, ruling in a 5-4 decision that companies can block their disgruntled customers from joining together in a class-action lawsuit.

--
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

But PSN is free!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

No email here yet either.

And dont worry, Sony will probably give everyone a free copy of Tetris or one of the Mini games, that will quiet much of the rampaging hordes :lol:
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I got the email at like 4am today.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Supposedly the hackers selling the DB says it has: fname, lnam, address, zip, country, phone, email, password, dob, ccnum, CVV2, exp date
Well hey.. That's a lot of information if true. And it's apparently up for sale! I hope that leaves you with a warm fuzzy.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:
Supposedly the hackers selling the DB says it has: fname, lnam, address, zip, country, phone, email, password, dob, ccnum, CVV2, exp date
Well hey.. That's a lot of information if true. And it's apparently up for sale! I hope that leaves you with a warm fuzzy.
I can confidently say that this info is false.
Vendors cannot cache CVV2 numbers on their servers or databases.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

can't or shouldn't? :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It was just a rumor! I did call my bank to get a new card and they guy was like "Since you have zero liability I would just wait to see if there is any fraudulent charges before requesting a new one". My guess is that banks probably don't want to eat the cost of issuing a few+ million new cards.

Even if the security code isn't available all the rest of the information is still a shit ton more than I would prefer. Hopefully I didn't enter my real birthdate but I can't remember. I usually enter it a few weeks off on sites since they don't need to know my exact birthday imo.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Geohot's Comments:
With all the recent hubbub concerning the PSN outage and security breach, the plight of legally beleaguered PS3 jailbreaker George "Geohot" Hotz may have slipped from your periphery. However, the notorious hacker recently posted in his personal blog about the incident, explaining he had nothing to do with the attacks on Sony's user info database. "I'm not crazy," Hotz said, "and would prefer to not have the FBI knocking on my door."

Hotz added that the gaming community might be misplacing some of its anger over the intrusion, saying, "Let's not fault the Sony engineers for this, the same way I do not fault the engineers who designed the BMG rootkit." He added, "The fault lies with the executives who declared a war on hackers, laughed at the idea of people penetrating the fortress that once was Sony, whined incessantly about piracy, and kept hiring more lawyers when they really needed to hire good security experts." A good point -- though, now, we think they're probably going to need all the lawyers they can get.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Still likely a rumor, but another blog saying the CVV2 information is included in what's being sold.

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/04/rumor-psn ... -for-sale/
Rumor has it that the PSN database that was stolen from Sony has now hit underground forums and is for sale. The database contains 2.2 million Credit Card Numbers with the much-needed CVV2 code. Some underground “financial” trading forums make note of the database for sale.

The database was also offered to Sony to buy back but Sony didn’t wanted to pay money to get back what belonged to them. Thiefs don’t buy things back from other thiefs, that is not how it works. Criminals go after you if you steal something from them.

Rumors are also that a very big part of the German database is stolen, which makes some people point to Graf because he is also German. Personally I think Graf has problems enough already and has nothing to with it, but maybe someone wants to make some money to pay for the “criminal” 1.000.000 euro claim

Kevin Stevens, Security Researcher tweets that this indeed is NOT a rumor and it IS for sale (but nothing to confirm if database is legitimate or not).

Read more: http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/04/rumor-psn ... z1KsoGsQQL
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Still likely a rumor, but another blog saying the CVV2 information is included in what's being sold.
Anyone who knows the first thing about electronic POS systems would know that anyone claiming to have a vendor database with CVV2 numbers is 100% full of shit.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

All the rumors flying around make me VERY happy I cancelled my card Tuesday afternoon.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:All the rumors flying around make me VERY happy I cancelled my card Tuesday afternoon.
That doesn't make much sense.

A credit card number without a CVV2 or magnetic stripe is basically useless. Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc will not process any payments without either.

Leaving your car doors unlocked is more risky than an unauthorized party having your CC number (without CVV1 or CVV2).

The bigger risk is if your PSN password was the same as your password for other online services.
The first thing I did when I found out my PSN info may have been compromised was to change the password on other services. Luckily I had changed my PSN password recently and it was only shared with two other services.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I know some of you idiots would prefer to believe rumours posted on blogs instead of looking up the information yourself.
I actually work for a bank and deal daily with people who support electronic POS systems and middle office transactions so I have more than just a basic understanding on how these systems work

If you still don't believe me, check this:
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/se ... /index.php

Basically, vendors/merchants are prohibited from storing the CVV2 number. There's not a single authorized POS system that even provides the ability them to store it.
This is industry standard.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

There are still plenty of things that can happen without the CVV2 number.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My CC's been compromised!

Someone bought 100 Sony Dual Shock Controllers. Bastards!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:There are still plenty of things that can happen without the CVV2 number.
Yea, okay. :roll:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:My CC's been compromised!

Someone bought 100 Sony Dual Shock Controllers. Bastards!
Dude, we all know you secretly love the Dual Shock.
Just admit it and move on. :)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

You really believe those numbers prevent people from using the cards anymore? Seriously? They are not required by the card companies for all transactions.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Don't mind miir/polyanna; he lives in Canadia, where all crimes of all sort are foiled before they happen by friendly RCMP moose-back patrols. That's right, there's moose cavalry in them Canadinian tubes!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:You really believe those numbers prevent people from using the cards anymore? Seriously? They are not required by the card companies for all transactions.
All Canadian and most EU financial institutions (as well as AmEx worldwide) require the code for CNP (card not present) transactions. Virtually every legitimate merchant/vendor also requires it... even in Hong Kong!

If your financial institution allows CNP transactions without CVV2 perhaps you should look into alternatives.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Many transactions will work with something like the zip code being sufficient information. I can think of several places that straight up refused the code since they were able to run the card without it. If these people are able to match the cards with name & address based on what was stolen, then they will have options for using those cards.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

miir wrote:
Animalor wrote:All the rumors flying around make me VERY happy I cancelled my card Tuesday afternoon.
That doesn't make much sense.

A credit card number without a CVV2 or magnetic stripe is basically useless. Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc will not process any payments without either.

Leaving your car doors unlocked is more risky than an unauthorized party having your CC number (without CVV1 or CVV2).

The bigger risk is if your PSN password was the same as your password for other online services.
The first thing I did when I found out my PSN info may have been compromised was to change the password on other services. Luckily I had changed my PSN password recently and it was only shared with two other services.
That's what I did as well. Luckly there was only 1 other service that shared this password. In terms of inconvenience to me, the Gawker thing a few months back was a lot worse.

Invalidating this card was most likely a good thing though. It removes it from a lot of online retailers that may have had it and I will only have to give it again to the few that I really value.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I find it hard to believe that any bank would authorize CNP transactions with a zip code.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:[Invalidating this card was most likely a good thing though. It removes it from a lot of online retailers that may have had it and I will only have to give it again to the few that I really value.
I've started using paypal for most of my online transactions.
I like that extra layer of security.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

miir wrote:I've started using paypal for most of my online transactions.
I've never tried PayPal before as I've always associated it with eBay and the like. Perhaps I should look into it more closely.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In the early days I didn't like Paypal. Lately, I've been using them as well for transactions when available. They're legit. I've even had returns processed by them in a timely manner.

Paypal is especially good for online subscription based things.

First time I ever used paypal was in the 90's to get a home made programmer for hacking DirecTV cards! (from Canada!)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I use Paypal whenever possible as well. It has been easier to manage things like online subs in one place.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Many transactions will work with something like the zip code being sufficient information. I can think of several places that straight up refused the code since they were able to run the card without it. If these people are able to match the cards with name & address based on what was stolen, then they will have options for using those cards.
I can't remember the last thing I bought online that didn't require the CVV number. Hell, even ordering a pizza from Domino's website requires it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The CVV code is not required in the US. It is preferred for security reasons, but it is not required by the financial institutions....yet.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that added layer of security. I'm just saying that your money is not safe just because someone does not have those 3-4 numbers.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

miir wrote:
Animalor wrote:[Invalidating this card was most likely a good thing though. It removes it from a lot of online retailers that may have had it and I will only have to give it again to the few that I really value.
I've started using paypal for most of my online transactions.
Paypal got lots of security.....so much that it took me 10 years and 4 credit cards to get a credit card verified, because of their "we withdraw 2½$ from your card, then look at your statement for a 4 digit code, and give us that, then youre verified" did NOT work with my bank, or just got messed up in general. And since they can only try once pr credit card (according to their support), i just had to wait for my next CC to try again :).
I was actually surprised last month when i DID manage to verify my card, for the first time :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

They wanted me to add my bank account directly to verify and buried the Credit Card so it was hard to find. I'll add the new card once I recieve it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

By the way I read each time you have a card replaced it costs the bank $3-$5. So you can see why they recommend you only replace it if there are signs of fraud. Although in the grand scheme of things, with the profits the banks pull in, it' probably wouldn't make much of a dent if a few million people replaced theirs.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Boogahz wrote:The CVV code is not required in the US. It is preferred for security reasons, but it is not required by the financial institutions....yet.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that added layer of security. I'm just saying that your money is not safe just because someone does not have those 3-4 numbers.
This. I do a lot of shopping online and I'd say it's about 60/40 not needed/needed. You can do a lot of shopping with just a credit card number and expiration date. Add the rest of the personal information (security questions/answers, address, phone number, real name, etc) and I guarantee you I could spend more than you have available on your credit card.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on.

The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company's data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system.

Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

* Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
* Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
* Access to account management and password reset
* Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
* PlayStation®Home
* Friends List
* Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information.

The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

* Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
* Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
* Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
* Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service.

As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data.

In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks," said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. "Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted.

We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

Complimentary Offering and "Welcome Back" Appreciation Program
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity "Welcome Back" program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company's appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the "Welcome Back" program will include:

* Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
* All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
* Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional "Welcome Back" entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.
Wow 30 days free... So since the service will have been down for nearly two weeks that really only comes out to two weeks. That will make everything all better!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would much rather have a PSN game of some sort. I would say this is better than nothing, but it is equal to nothing for me.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Siji wrote:
Boogahz wrote:The CVV code is not required in the US. It is preferred for security reasons, but it is not required by the financial institutions....yet.

This. I do a lot of shopping online and I'd say it's about 60/40 not needed/needed. You can do a lot of shopping with just a credit card number and expiration date. Add the rest of the personal information (security questions/answers, address, phone number, real name, etc) and I guarantee you I could spend more than you have available on your credit card.
As a perfect example, Amazon does not require CVV2 as I discovered last night. Not sure how much larger an example I could provide.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah yeah yeah, I changed my card this weekend :lol:

Fucking hackers. I hate having to switch everything over, but it's better than my account getting drained and having to spend 2 weeks with the bank fucking around before I get it back.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Siji wrote:As a perfect example, Amazon does not require CVV2 as I discovered last night. Not sure how much larger an example I could provide.
Your amazon account is on a secure server.
The majority of electronic POS systems only require the CVV2 when registering a new credit card to an account on a secure server. Few require it for every transaction.

Try adding different credit card information to your Amazon.com account and I guarantee that you will be asked the the CVV2.

Again, if you don't really understand how electronic POS systems work, you should probably stop posting shit that makes you look so ignorant.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
Siji wrote:As a perfect example, Amazon does not require CVV2 as I discovered last night. Not sure how much larger an example I could provide.
Your amazon account is on a secure server.
The majority of electronic POS systems only require the CVV2 when registering a new credit card to an account on a secure server. Few require it for every transaction.

Try adding different credit card information to your Amazon.com account and I guarantee that you will be asked the the CVV2.

Again, if you don't really understand how electronic POS systems work, you should probably stop posting shit that makes you look so ignorant.
yet you have no problem with your own ignorance? It does not work the way you THINK it works in all places.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Amazon requires CVV2 for credit card authorization.

Try it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »