PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Post by Aslanna »

You'd be surprised as some of the dumb comments people have come out with. Comparing it to the Dreamcast and saying developers are going to flee PS3 development. As if the millions of current and future owners are going to stop buying games and start pirating shit? The Wii and 360 have been hacked to enable 'backups' pretty much since the get-go and they seem to be doing fine.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm barely motivated enough to keep my old iPhone 3G charged so the battery doesn't run out and screw up my iphDroid PS3 hack. Haven't used it in months.

The only game I found worth the hack so far is the downloadable game, Pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5Lm5bXF7M

endless fun! http://www.painthegame.com/index/

I need to check if the add on packs are available on the newsgroups.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony Takes Legal Action Against Infamous PS3 Hacker GeoHot

It appears infamous PS3 hacker GeoHot aka George Hotz is now in hot water himself along with 27C3 lecturers and fail0verflow members Marcan aka Hector Martin and sven aka Sven Peter and 100 John Does, as posted on IRC and his site Sony Computer Entertainment has now filed suit against him.

Charges include:

• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(2)(C) – Confidential Information On Computer
• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(4) – Intent To Defraud And Obtain Value
• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(A) – Knowing Transmission of Code
• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(B) and (C) – Intentional and Reckless Damage And Loss
• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(6)(A) – Trafficking in Password
• 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(7)(B) – Intent to Extort

To quote from his site: "As of 1/11/2011 7:20 PM EST, I have been served with papers, see below...

http://www.geohot.com/Motion%20For%20TRO.pdf
http://www.geohot.com/Proposed%20Order.pdf

old front page, with relevant info removed, is http://www.geohot.com/old_index.html

contact me geohot ... gmail

any legal fund donation things you see are 100% fake as of now, don't get scammed"

From the legal docs, to quote: "Upon information and belief, Defendant George Hotz is bound by the Playstation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement (the PSN User Agreement), 14 of which states in relevant part that both parties submit to personal jurisdiction in California and further agree that any 23 dispute arising from or relating to this Agreement shall be brought in a court within San Mateo County, California.

The FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants intentionally circumvented SCEA's TPMs, accessed the PS3 System and trafficked in Circumvention Devices and SCEA's proprietary information, with full knowledge that their unlawful conduct would irreparably harm SCEA. Indeed, five days prior to appearing at the Chaos Conference, Bushing echoed a http://twitter.com/xorloser/status/18470986890346496 comment anticipating this irreparable harm: Last chance to sell any Sony stock you may have.

Finally, SCEA will likely prevail on its claim under §1030(a)(7)(B), which prohibits intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value by threatening to obtain information from a protected computer without authorization or in excess of authorization or to impair the confidentiality of information obtained from a protected computer without authorization or by exceeding authorized access. Hotz violated this provision when, in the same post in which the published SCEA's Keys, he attempted to obtain from SCEA thing of value in the form of employment: if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me."

From http://twitter.com/marcan42/status/25009462397902848: "Ah, so Sony decided to sue everyone under US law. Guess I won't be visiting the US in a while..."

From http://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/ ... 6119343104: "Looks like Sony decided to ignore the facts and sue us all for it. See http://geohot.com/.
That last part is a hoot. He wasn't trying to extort anything from them that's just ridiculous.

If there's one thing to learn from this I think it might be.. Don't Twitter shit. I still don't get the appeal of Twitter maybe I'm just old.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

It's going to be interesting to follow this. The whole EULA thing has never been tested in court (to my knowledge) and it's going to be interesting to see if it's legally decided one way or another if a consumer has the right to do whatever they want with a piece of hardware or equipment which they have purchased.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some of those court documents are amusing:
4. A forum post at <www.ps3news.com> reproduced comments made by Hotz through an “Internet Relay Chat” (“IRC”) forum on January 11, 2011, including the following statements, regarding relocation to Spain and re-posting the circumvention devices:

geohot: moving to spain :P
geohot: old index page and jailbreak.zip has been restored to geohot.com
OH NOZ GEOHOT IS FLEEING THE COUNTRY!!

I guess they don't teach emoticons in law school.
5. On January 12, 2011, users of several online forums that discuss hacking the PlayStation® 3 System (“PS3 System”) posted links to and “mirrors” of repositories containing all circumvention devices discussed in SCEA’s Motion for TRO, including all circumvention devices (i.e., code, keys, software tools, and/or programs) distributed by Hotz and the FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants, and all SCEA security and encryption “Keys.” One such repository containing all circumvention devices distributed by the FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants was created by third party hacker “Hermes.” Users posted links to these repositories in connection with comments such as “Its a response of [sic] sony measures”, and “Hermes is asking for our cooperation, . . . the idea is to clone the repository many times so that the failoverfl0w tools [sic] to reach more developers, we can all work together cloning the repository.” True and correct copies of the “Hermes” repository, and a page at <www.psx-scene.com> discussing this distribution of circumvention devices are attached hereto as Exhibit D
Apparently they have someone there hitting F5 every minute to collect more info. I want that job.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Video of Geohot interviewed about Sony suing him:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/14/georg ... -sony-mad/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14 ... ker_order/
No court order against PlayStation hackers for now
No personal jurisdiction

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
Posted in Security, 14th January 2011 20:22 GMT

A San Francisco federal judge declined to order New Jersey-based hacker Geohot to turn over the technology he used to root the PlayStation 3, saying she doubted Geohot was subject to her court's authority.

The move by US District Judge Susan Illston on Friday was a blow to Sony, which argued that the 21-year-old hacker, whose real name is George Hotz, should be forced to surrender his computer gear and the code he used to circumvent digital rights management features in the gaming console. Illston rejected arguments that Hotz's use of Twitter, PayPal, and YouTube, all located in the Northern District of California, were sufficient contacts with the region to establish personal jurisdiction.

“If having a PayPal account were enough, then there would be personal jurisdiction in this court over everybody, and that just can't be right,” Illston told James G. Gilliland Jr., an attorney representing Sony. “That would mean the entire universe is subject to my jurisdiction, and that's a really hard concept for me to accept.”

Sony's motion for a temporary restraining order came in a lawsuit it filed on Tuesday against Hotz and more than 100 individuals who belong to a hacking collective known as fail0verflow. At the Chaos Communication Congress in late December, fail0verflow members revealed the key used to sign PS3 games and demonstrated how to use it to run homebrew apps on the console. A few weeks later, Hotz independently deduced the “metldr” key, which allowed him to root the PS3.

Sony's suit claims that by publishing the means to bypass the protection measures built into the console, the hackers violated provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It also claims they violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act “by transmitting in interstate and foreign commerce a communication containing a threat to obtain information from a protected computer without authorization.” Both laws carry stiff civil and criminal penalties.

Sony attorneys asked Illston to order Hotz and the other hackers to give Sony “any and all computer hardware” and software used to root the PS3. They are also seeking unspecified monetary damages.

Suit lambasted by critics

The action has been lambasted by technologists and legal scholars who believe that people should have the right to do what they want with the hardware they own.

“You bought the computer,” George Washington School of Law professor Orin Kerr wrote on The Volokh Conspiracy blog. “You own it. You can sell it. You can light it on fire. You can bring it to the ocean, put it on a life raft, and push it out to sea. But if you dare do anything that violates the fine print of the license that the manufacturer is trying to impose, then you're guilty of trespassing onto your own property. And it's not just a civil wrong, it's a crime.”

As Christopher Soghoian, a Ph.D. candidate in Indiana University's School of Informatics and Computing program, blogged on Friday, the PlayStation rooting was inevitable following last year's highly controversial disabling of the OtherOS, which made it easy for users to install Linux on the PlayStation. Sony took that action to disable an earlier hack, released by Geohot, that allowed full memory access, including ring 0 access from OtherOS.

“Users were thus given a choice,” Soghoian wrote of Sony's decision to disable OtherOS. “If they kept the old firmware, they got to keep using Linux, but lost access to Sony's Playstation Network, and the ability to play games online. Alternatively, users could upgrade the firmware, keep playing new titles, but lose access to the Linux functionality.”

The use of IBM's Cell processor makes the PlayStation ideal for performing brute force crypto attacks, among other things. Once OtherOS was removed, people who wanted to use the console for such uses had little choice but to hack it.

Hotz was among the first to jailbreak Apple's iPhone so it would work on carrier networks other than AT&T's. Last year, the US Copyright Office exempted iPhone jailbreaking from the DMCA so that they can run apps not officially sanctioned by Apple.

Illston said she may still decide that she has jurisdiction over Hotz if presented with evidence of more substantial contacts to Northern California.
So I suppose Sony either needs more info establishing jurisdiction in California or they will have to move it over to New Jersey. In the meantime the PS3 hacking community seems a bit on hold at the moment as developers seem scared to release anything because they don't want to get sued. So I guess that's a win for Sony in that it gives them more time to try and fix things with a firmware update. Apparently the key geohot's signing tool comes up with isn't random so all Sony would have to do would be to blacklist that particular key so any homebrew signed with it would no longer work. Or something like that!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/01/s ... us-message
January 19th, 2011

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers

Co-authored by Corynne McSherry and Marcia Hofmann

For years, EFF has been warning that the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act can be used to chill speech, particularly security research, because legitimate researchers will be afraid to publish their results lest they be accused of circumventing a technological protection measure. We've also been concerned that the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act could be abused to try to make alleged contract violations into crimes.

We've never been sorrier to be right. These two things are precisely what's happening in Sony v. Hotz. If you have missed this one, Sony has sued several security researchers for publishing information about security holes in Sony’s PlayStation 3. At first glance, it's hard to see why Sony is bothering — after all, the research was presented three weeks ago at the Chaos Communication Congress and promptly circulated around the world. The security flaws discovered by the researchers allow users to run Linux on their machines again — something Sony used to support but recently started trying to prevent. Paying lawyers to try to put the cat back in the bag is just throwing good money after bad. And even if they won — we'll save the legal analysis for another post — the defendants seem unlikely to be able to pay significant damages. So what's the point?

The real point, it appears, is to send a message to security researchers around the world: publish the details of our security flaws and we'll come after you with both barrels blazing. For example, Sony has asked the court to immediately impound all "circumvention devices" — which it defines to include not only the defendants' computers, but also all "instructions," i.e., their research and findings. Given that the research results Sony presumably cares about are available online, granting the order would mean that everyone except the researchers themselves would have access to their work.

Not content with the DMCA hammer, Sony is also bringing a slew of outrageous Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claims. The basic gist of Sony's argument is that the researchers accessed their own PlayStation 3 consoles in a way that violated the agreement that Sony imposes on users of its network (and supposedly enabled others to do the same). But the researchers don't seem to have used Sony's network in their research — they just used the consoles they bought with their own money. Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like. Moreover, because the CFAA has criminal as well as civil penalties, Sony is actually saying that it's a crime for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like.

That means Sony is sending another dangerous message: that it has rights in the computer it sells you even after you buy it, and therefore can decide whether your tinkering with that computer is legal or not. We disagree. Once you buy a computer, it's yours. It shouldn't be a crime for you to access your own computer, regardless of whether Sony or any other company likes what you're doing.

Finally, even if the researchers had used Sony's network, Sony's claim that it's a crime to violate its terms of use has been firmly rejected by courts in cases like United States v. Drew and Facebook v. Power Ventures. As those courts have recognized, companies like Sony would have tremendous coercive power if they could enforce their private, unilateral and easy-to-change agreements with threats of criminal punishment.

Sony's core arguments — that it can silence speech that reveals security flaws using the DMCA and that the mere fact of a terms of use somewhere gives a company permanent and total control over what you do with a device under pain of criminal punishment — are both sweeping and frightening, and not just for gamers and computer researchers. Frankly, it's not what we expect from any company that cares about its customers, and we bet it's not what those customers expect, either.
I notice they don't like the word 'hacker'. Security researchers!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm just a beta tester for security researchers' findings!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So I screwed around a bit with my PS3 today.

Some positives:

I installed the new 3.41 Hermes CFW and can now boot up my PS3 without the pain in the ass iPhone boot jailbreak. That's nice. With the custom firmware, I just boot up my PS3 and then load the Hermes 4b payload each time (takes less than 30 seconds) that's already sitting there on the menu after boot up. Big improvement. No need for any external device at all anymore.

I updated my Open Manager to version 2.1i

To test all this out, I downloaded GT5 (about 14GB), and FTP'd it over to my internal PS3 HD. After minimal fiddling around (enabled >3.41 patch option, and installed some sort of mini .pkg patch to fix folder permissions or something ) I had GT5 up and running.

Sweet. I guess if you update to 3.55 you can play games online but I have no desire to do that on the PS3. I just want to check out the occasional exclusive PS3 game.

As for GT5, the game looks good and there's assloads of game modes, camera views, replays, pictures, etc in the game. The driving itself was hindered by the PS3 controller which I hate even more when it comes to driving games. If you're into career mode driving games with tons of cars/options, you'll get your money's worth out of GT5. I prefer driving games a little more on the arcade side of things with lots of damage physics.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's still too early in the CFW development phase for me to go with one of those especially since some people are getting bricked consoles although I haven't heard that happen with the Hermes CFW but I can wait.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That's why I stuck with the 3.41 CFW since you can't brick it. It's 3.41 so can reinstall. 3.41 safe if you're not playing online.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aaaaand yet another firmware update incoming to the PS3. This thing updates more than my graphic card drivers.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Oops, forgot details.

A new PS3 system software update, v3.56, will be released soon. This is a minor update that adds a security patch.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm actually anxious to see what this update will do and how the 'security researchers' respond and if it really is unpatchable without a hardware revision.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://kotaku.com/5744389/sony-starts-r ... ty-updates

Kotaku is guessing unique serial codes will be issued with new games.

lol

This is followed by mass cancellation of pre orders for PS3 games switched over to the 360 version for the used game aftermarket people want.

I really hope Sony does something stupid and loses more gamers to 360. Their product is shit. They need to start work on PS4 and maybe not try to cram some new format down people's throats...maybe actually update their controllers, maybe not take away key features like rumble, etc...maybe not throw in an off the shelf graphics card and then watch as game after game looks like crap compared to the 360's version. Maybe actually put some effort into their online services.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aww poor winnow is all butthurt.
I know it's hard for you to swallow that the PS3 will likely overtake the 360 in marketshare this year...
Microsoft is too busy putting all their resources into the Kinect fad...
Sony is concentrating on things that gamers care about... games.

Enjoy your xbox crap.. that's so 2008.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Aww poor winnow is all butthurt.
I know it's hard for you to swallow that the PS3 will likely overtake the 360 in marketshare this year...
Microsoft is too busy putting all their resources into the Kinect fad...
Sony is concentrating on things that gamers care about... games.

Enjoy your xbox crap.. that's so 2008.
Obvious troll from miir, but...

At least Microsoft is putting their resources into their own 'fad' rather than jumping on the Wii bandwagon like Sony and the Move which wont be nearly as successful. And how can you say Sony are concentrating on games when their slogan for the PS3 is "It only does everything" which is obviously not a concentration on games.

Delusional. What is in the air in Canada?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

All Canadians are upset because their internet is going to be capped at 25gb starting Match 1st. All of Canada just got fucked in the ass!

For those that don't know, for all Bell and Bell reseller providers, starting March 2011:
- Bandwith cap will be 25GB(confirmed by Teksavvy CEO). That's upload and download, together.
- $1 per GB you go over, up to $22.50. $0.75 per GB after that.
- ALL DSL RESELLER PRICES WILL GO UP TO MATCH BELL PLAN PRICES, AND RISE WHEN BELL PLAN PRICES RISE.

For those on Rogers, or Rogers reseller providers:
- Same deal, coming down the pipe a few months later (early summer).
More info put there if you want to laugh at the poor bastards :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ouch! Now that's gotta suck for Canadians.

we complain about 250GB limits in a few places. Zero limits for my cable.

No wonder Miir's panties are always in a bunch. He can't pirate. Cost more to pirate than to buy the game up there.

As for the PS3, if I'm not playing it when it's free, I'm not sure what paying for it is going to do to make it better. It's a crap system.

I pay for Xbox Live because it's quality. Compare a game like Zen/Pinball FX between the two to see how much better Live is over Sony's horrid PSN network. If I was into antiques, I'd dig the PS3's controller. Sony's management team is clueless. They try to use advanced CPUs but then chuck in some generic graphics card and then take away rumble while not updating their controller, adding half-assed triggers that suck balls compared to the 360's controller...and then start a long process of taking away features...backwards compatibility, Linux...creating all fuckloads of different console types..some do.some don't....ALL of 360's consoles do the same thing. Sony/PS3 is pure crap packaged up for the mindless clones that don't understand the concept of progress.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

It's a horrible developpment for the companies offering the plans but here's the issue:

Large telco's (Bell, Telus) had been forced by the CTRC to lease some of it's lines as wholesale for a flat fee. This means that much smaller companies could come in and act as an ISP without owning any infrastructire at all and use as much bandwidth as they wanted for a govt. mandated price. There ISP's were undercutting Bell dramatically and offering unlimited bandwidth plans so anyone who wanted them

The metered internet that's going on now is essentially these smaller companies getting fucked out of their lofty position. The new deal is that they will be required to pay the large telco's that own the infrastructure the cost of the bandwidth they use - 15%.

The people on any of the big ISP's already have metered billing and this decision won't affect them much at all other than possibly prevent and future competitive price-wars between the telco's.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think this guy from another forum summed it up better and added some details as to why Canadians should be upset. This is some American levels of corporate corription!

Over the last several decades, provincial governments have given taxpayer money to telecommunications companies to run lines so that all of Canada can be covered for telecommunications purposes. These are basically government-granted monopolies. The benefit is obvious; the government pays those companies to make money! In exchange for this benefit, they need to share the lines with other companies so that there can be competition.

Recently, the big telecommunications companies have started capping users. But other companies, like TekSavvy, who lease the lines from the big companies, have the right to do what they want with the lines they lease. So TekSavvy would lease a lot of Bells lines and then resell them to consumers at a lower price with no bandwidth cap. Bell didn't like this because they wanted to force every company who leased from them to follow the same rules that their own customers had to follow.

Bell asked the CRTC to resolve this and the CRTC said that this was okay; they could sell bandwidth to TekSavvy the same way they would sell it to us. This basically makes it impossible for TekSavvy to compete, because if they are paying what Bell customers are paying, they can't make money reselling it. TekSavvy complained.

As a result of the complaint, the CRTC said that Bell needs to give TekSavvy a tiny discount so that they can have a tiny margin when they resell to us. But no matter who we buy from, we're still going to be stuck with the caps.

Short version:
- Bell wants to charge you more money and give you less bandwidth (as do Telus and the other big telecommunications companies)
- TekSavvy and other independent companies want to charge you less money and give you unlimited bandwidth.
- Bell got the government to make that impossible.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My internet usage is always under 100 gigs per month.
With current pricing, I pay around $50/month.
With the new UBB, a basic 25 gig capped plan will run about $40 and I can purchase 40-50 gig data blocks for $5/month.

So really no change for me.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

As usual, your Neogaf friends are uninformed fucking morons.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bandwidth usage is going up, not down. Your 100GB won't remain static for long if Canada stays with the times and offers streaming 1080p, etc on a regular basis.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So what is incorrect, Miir? I'm open to information on the subject. NeoGaf has an 8 page discussion going on about this topic with dozens of people, links, and swaths of information from a variety of sources. As usual, the information I read there is pretty spot on despite the fact you never seem to like the information provided.

Do you live in Quebec?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:So what is incorrect, Miir? I'm open to information on the subject. NeoGaf has an 8 page discussion going on about this topic with dozens of people, links, and swaths of information from a variety of sources. As usual, the information I read there is pretty spot on despite the fact you never seem to like the information provided.

Do you live in Quebec?
You're obviously not as good at that reading thing as you think.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I had a good laugh at that thread.
Full of knee-jerk reactions by idiots without any actual facts.

As usual, you don't make the effort to find out any information yourself.
You just parrot the shit you read on Neogaf as if it were 100% factual.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Once again Miir, I'll gladly read any info you have that has information to the contrary. Just throw out a link or two. Give me the real facts that I am not reading. I want to know where you're getting your information and how it conflicts with what I've read.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Just go look up the information yourself.
It's really not that difficult.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midyte has hacked miir's account? That was his typical response. If it's not that difficult you could help him out!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've fed the trolls enough for today.

I'll let you guys get back to your PS3 hacking discussion.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, you don't have any conflicting information and you're talking out of your ass. Gotcha.

A simple Google result for "Canada 25GB limit" confirms my information. You are the one with an apparent lock on the "real facts" that I am having trouble finding. Please Miir, I need your help! I want the truth too! Share it with me, please!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:I've fed the trolls enough for today.

I'll let you guys get back to your PS3 hacking discussion.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:Midyte has hacked miir's account? That was his typical response. If it's not that difficult you could help him out!
I think that Midnyte actually stole that from Miir!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So seriously, 25 GB cap? Fuck that shit.

I once figured regular usage is 1.2-1.5 GB per day between the wife and I. That is nothing but regular internet usage, business, Netflix, gaming, ect. Then, I have huge bursts of usage (legit), like just the other night when DLing demos on my xbox. That was about 2.5GB of games that I DLed on each of my xboxes, so around 5GB right there just in DEMOS.

I can't imagine having to cut down to 25GB. My 250 limit is bad enough!

Here is my usage over the last several months (in GBs):

Oct-227

Nov-235

Dec-246

Jan-231 (with 4 days to go!)

I watch my usage like a hawk!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think we all know that your usage is nowhere near the "norm" for most users though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I can't imagine having to cut down to 25GB.
Are you really that stupid?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Hey, some people can't imagine cutting back to only one rock a day too!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So it's been established that Canada is the base for mass piracy, partially due to the horrible government and rampant socialism in the country. In addition to this, Canada now has puny bandwidth caps.

This sucks. I move that we establish one of the fish eating Norwegian countries as the pirate capital of the world again. They have unlimited bandwidth and fast pipes!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I guess Winnow and Fair don't understand the concept of usage based billing.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
You should be more concerned than anyone, Miir. PS3 updates are looking to take up half of your new 25GB limit a month!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I guess Winnow and Fair don't understand the concept of usage based billing.

No need to understand that in the land of the free. I do understand "unlimited" very well though.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
miir wrote:
You should be more concerned than anyone, Miir. PS3 updates are looking to take up half of your new 25GB limit a month!
Yes, I guess you are.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:So it's been established that Canada is the base for mass piracy, partially due to the horrible government and rampant socialism in the country. In addition to this, Canada now has puny bandwidth caps.

This sucks. I move that we establish one of the fish eating Norwegian countries as the pirate capital of the world again. They have unlimited bandwidth and fast pipes!

I don't know how much I buy that about Canadia. There were many hits against piracy in the past year or two there due to whatever the hell the Canadian equivalent of the RIAA is, demonoid.com moving it's servers to be hosted in Australia (I think) was just one of the changes there.

I believe the Euro countries are still bigger factors for the cam type videos, and for where servers are hosted for P2P sites.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

If you're already a customer of the large ISP's (Bell, Telus, Shaw,Rogers) then this decision has no impact on you in the short term. It only has impact if they decide to raise costs or lower bandwidth caps simultaniously.

I pay Rogers 59$/mo for 95GB of transfer and never go over it with regular usage. I also don't have a Giganews account. This includes demos off XBL, movies off Netflix, PSN and the Zune Marketplace, my Vonage phone line and a variety of other activities.

Yes is sucks for the people that had those unlimited connections with TekSavvy and other providers and it's got me worried for the future of the internet in this country and kinda pissed at Bell but
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Anyway.. Back on track. Enough about Canada!
The judge has granted Sony's request for a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) in the case against Geohot (George Hotz) and the other named defendants. It has also been ruled that Sony has shown sufficient cause to keep the case in San Francisco.
Having considered all the papers and arguments, the Court finds that SCEA has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the DMCA and CFAA, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defendant Hotz's violations are enjoined. The Court also finds that a Temporary Restraining Order and Order of Impoundment are necessary to prevent immediate and irreparable injury to SCEA before the hearing on the Order to Show Cause regarding the preliminary injunction can take place, and to preserve the status quo.
Good times!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lol, now that it's been done, what exactly do Sony or the courts think they're going to do about it? You gotta wonder how long it's going to be before these people (government, media companies, etc) realize that they're always going to be a step behind piracy/hackers and just accept it and move on.

By doing this kind of shit, they're just pouring fuel on the fire and making it worse for themselves.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

GEOHOT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

pretty funny stuff. He seems to rap about as good as anyone else. (meaning rappers have no talent or Geohot is talented, you pick)

Yo it’s geohot
And for those who don’t know
I’m getting sued by Sony
Let’s take this out of the courtroom and into the streets
I’m a beast, at the least, you’ll face me in the northeast
Get my ire up, light my fire
I’ll go harder then Eminem went at Mariah
Call me a liar
Pound me in the *** with no lube, chafing
You’re ******* with the dude who got the keys to your safe and
Those that can’t do bring suits
Cry to your Uncle Sam to settle disputes
Thought you’d tackle this with a little more tact
But then again fudgepackers, I don’t know Jack
I shed a tear every time I think of Lik Sang
But **** man, they’re a corporation
And I’m a personification of freedom for all
You fill dockets, like that’s a concept foreign to y’all
While lawyers muddy water and TROs stall
Out of business is jail for me
And you’re suing me civilly
Exhibit this in the courtroom
Go on, do it, I dare you
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I sort of think he might be on drugs there!

--