Zito

What do you think about the sports world?
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Pretty much what I expect from the Dodgers this year so far, except I think the Starting pitching will be a little more solid...

Cant wait to see how the lineup does with Furcal back in it

The Gnats are where I thought they would be as well :lol:
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Dodgers are 3rd in the league in runs scored and 3rd in runs allowed and I still dont think they have hit they're stride yet. Pierre is just now starting to get hits, Furcal is just back from injury and off to his normal slow start, Kemp and Schmidt are injured.....I was hoping the Dodgers were deep and it seems they are. At one time I was really pissed about trading away LoDuca, but without that trade Martin would probably never have cracked the lineup.....he is a real gamer and can produce in the clutch.

Goto any games yet Pherr? I hope I can make a drive to SF for a game or 2 this summer even if its not LA.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Oh ya, Betemit needs to go! I was hoping he would break out....instead of going from bad to worse he went straight to how the hell is he still in the Majors
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Giants look fine for a team that still desperately needs a bat, they probably have one of the best starting 5s in baseball which should keep them competative in the NL west mediocrity. The issue is whether Sabien can pull a big trade still or if he really is as big a turd as he has been for the past few years.

/ooc WTS Benitez and Feliz
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Just to bring up an old arguement.....How is the Mighty JD Drew doing? Probably nothing, hell I think Gonzo has better numbers and doesnt cost that much. I am so glad he didnt stay in L.A.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

He started off really strong, but has slumped in the last 3ish weeks. His average went from like .378 to .250. He's day to day atm with a bruised lower back after going into the bullpen wall trying to rob a HR on tuesday.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I know, its a typical season for him :wink:

He was never worth the salary he got from Bo sox
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re:

Post by Trek »

Trek wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:Giants Lose the Division by 6 easy.

Fixed it for you :wink:

ya that
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Re:

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Trek wrote:
Trek wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:Giants Lose the Division by 6 easy.

Fixed it for you :wink:

ya that
Giants will lose by more than 6, 3.91 era is great but I still don't know why they never got that bat they needed all along. a .248 average is fucking pathetic, Sabien and Lefebre should be gone and Sabien can go GM the Yanks after Cashmen gets the boot.

Giants trade Morris for some talent, and the rest of that pitching staff is still intact for awhile, give me Ichiro over Drew and a good bat at short.

At this point this season is all about the BoSox for me and I am ok with that, they are the best team in baseball.

Jefferson
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Re:

Post by Truant »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:At this point this season is all about the BoSox for me and I am ok with that, they are the best team in baseball.
<3 I owe you a drink. or some cookies, or something.

This season has been exciting, and not just for the reason that the BoSox are doing great. There are a lot of really tight races all over the place.

It's been a constant 3 way tie for second in the AL east, and there are similar scenarios in other divisions that I cannot atm recall because I'm drunk.

Other than the battle for absolutely ultimate last in baseball that the Rangers/Royals have been duking out. (the Reds came out of nowhere to beat them both atm)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Zito

Post by Zamtuk »

All I can say is, GO INDIANS.

C.C. Sabathia is the fucking man. 15 straight innings without a walk. That is just sexy.
Fuck Michigan!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I was worried the Dodgers where going to trade a bunch of great prospects for Texierra or Blanton. I am glad they didnt make any major moves, adding the overworked Proctor will help the pen. The future is bright for the Dodgers as long as they dont piss it away. I still think LA is the best team in the west but we need our starting pitching to get healed up to win that division. after that anything is possible with speed and pitching!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The Sox and the Braves and possibly the Phils are the only 3 teams that improved with the trade deadline passed. The West has one team and it is the Angels, they did nothing and will pay for it, the centrals have the Tigers and... cubs?@!!... same stories there. All east coast series seems highly likely.

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Who's in first place in the NL West? :twisted:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Who's got the best record in the National League as the season starts to wind down? I haven't been paying attention.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Im pretty sure its the team that wont make it through the first round.....but at least they made it!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a nice pick me up story (unless you're Voro or another Braves fan!)
D'backs pitcher homers twice in 12-6 win over Braves

ATLANTA (AP) -- Micah Owings felt right at home on the mound, and when he came to the plate.

Owings went 4-for-5, including a pair of mammoth homers, drove in six runs and scored four times while pitching three-hit ball through seven innings as the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Atlanta Braves 12-6 on Saturday night.

Owings lives in nearby Gainesville, Ga., and had more than 50 friends and relatives on hand for his first career start in Atlanta. He won for the first time in two months.

''It's up there with the best ever,'' Owings said. ''To be back home and have the game I had tonight, I'm just unbelievably blessed.''

It was the fourth straight win and 21st in 26 games for the NL West-leading Diamondbacks, who pounded out 15 hits in handing the Braves their third straight loss.
Who wants on the D-Back bandwagon? You get a free ride on the Solar Express this fall if you double up and root for the D-Backs as well!

I don't expect anyone to jump on the Cardinals bandwagon yet although Matt Leinart looked sharp today. You'll get to see them the fir Monday Night game of the year. (Pherr will be crying in his glass of Napa Valley Wine!)
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I am on the Cards bandwagon, only because I think they will win the NL Central... oh wait you meant the Arizona Cards... sorry.

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seven of the D-Back's next ten games are against the Padres. 4 away, 3 home. This should determine the season if one of the team's stand out.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote:Seven of the D-Back's next ten games are against the Padres. 4 away, 3 home. This should determine the season if one of the team's stand out.

Looking at those 7 games its clear that both teams will lose all 7 games and the Dodgers will edge past them with a 3 game sweep of the Gnats at the end of the season...outscoring the Gnats 27-8

yep
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Trek wrote:
Winnow wrote:Seven of the D-Back's next ten games are against the Padres. 4 away, 3 home. This should determine the season if one of the team's stand out.

Looking at those 7 games its clear that both teams will lose all 7 games and the Dodgers will edge past them with a 3 game sweep of the Gnats at the end of the season...outscoring the Gnats 27-8

yep
9 runs a game from the dodgers... maybe 9 runs a week

Jefferson
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Given that Zito is now 0-6 at the end of April, and finished last season 11-13, no one can argue that he's been worth the contract he signed. He hasn't made it past the fourth inning in his last two starts and the Giants are considering putting him in the bullpen. At this point, he has more walks (14) than strikeouts (10). Zito is only the third pitcher since 1956 to go 0-6 in April, joining Dave Stewart (Texas, 1984) and Mike Maroth (Detroit, 2003). I guess the plus is there's no where to go but up... right?

There's a discussion on the ESPN website about which signing is worse, Zito or Mike Hampton. They're both set to make about $14.5M this year. That's like Chan Ho Park bad or Carl Pavano bad, but at least those guys have excuses. Zito just plain sucks.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

A couple years ago, I was a bit irked that Minaya did not fork over the hard cash for Zito. I really didn't know much about him since I pay very little attention to the AL. However, I heard all the hype and figured this Zito kid had to be at least a fraction of how good everyone was saying, what with Oakland having been a recent pitching prospect hotspot.

I am really glad SF won that bidding war. :lol: :lol: :lol:
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Hampton was a great trade for the Braves. His insurance policy has meant that he has cost us jack shit to have on the team and he has pitched great when healthy.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

cost us
Oh, he wasn't going to cost you anything anyways, ya big goof! :P

That said, Hampton will always be a better hitter than pitcher. ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Hampton was a great trade for the Braves. His insurance policy has meant that he has cost us jack shit to have on the team and he has pitched great when healthy.
Hampton cost the Braves $35.5M. That's a reasonable sum, considering the deal cost the Rockies about $50M for a pitcher who went 21-28 over two years (2001 - 2002). The Marlins are covering the remaining $38M. Still not sure how they managed to pay that much for a pitcher who never threw a ball for them, but it had more to do with restructuring other contracts for players they traded, like Charles Johnson & Preston Wilson to the Rockies.

While with the Braves, Hampton has a record of 32-20, with a combined 3.96 ERA. Considering he hasn't pitched since August 19, 2005, saying he's pitched "great" while healthy isn't saying much. This is the final year on his contract, so the Rockies (and me) will be relieved to have him off the payroll.

As far as his hitting, sure, he hits good for a pitcher (career .242). His career ERA is slightly more impressive (3.97), when healthy of course!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh, there have been many a team to be suckers for Hampton's 20 win season while in Houston. Luckily, the Mets have moved on to a whole different set of overrated pitchers in decline! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I love that they are moving him to the 'pen. This is a smart move by them....because, everyone knows it is much easier to pitch in ready-made pressure situations with less time to warm up.

That is like the fantasy-tards that have such rich imaginations like moving a player to first base that has never played there before (apologies to Mike Piazza).

Oh wait, this is the Giants.

Yeah, go right on ahead!
en kærlighed småkager
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Canelek wrote:I love that they are moving him to the 'pen. This is a smart move by them....because, everyone knows it is much easier to pitch in ready-made pressure situations with less time to warm up.

That is like the fantasy-tards that have such rich imaginations like moving a player to first base that has never played there before (apologies to Mike Piazza).

Yeah, go right on ahead!
Giants are actually having quite a good season so far. Fred Lewis is turning out to be a stud and a future #3 hitter, it looks like Velez can actually play as well. Bowker has a hole in his swing that needs to be addressed before he can be an every day first baseman but I'd take 2 position players in a season any day. Added bonus that the 'pen looks great right now (not talking Zito) and a starting staff with Lincecum, Sanchez, Cain and Lowry all under 28. No matter what this has been fun so far and the rest of the year looks promising for entertaining baseball. Heaven forbid Bocock, Burriss or Bowker actually pans out. As someone who bashed the farm system for years I have to say right now the kids are young and probably don't belong in the bigs but they sure are playing good ball and they run better than any team in the game right now.

Moving Zito to the pen is fine, his speed is so slow it will throw people off when he comes in in releif.

Jefferson
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Canelek wrote:I love that they are moving him to the 'pen. This is a smart move by them....because, everyone knows it is much easier to pitch in ready-made pressure situations with less time to warm up.

Yeah, go right on ahead!
Giants are actually having quite a good season so far. Fred Lewis is turning out to be a stud and a future #3 hitter, it looks like Velez can actually play as well. Bowker has a hole in his swing that needs to be addressed before he can be an every day first baseman but I'd take 2 position players in a season any day. Added bonus that the 'pen looks great right now (not talking Zito) and a starting staff with Lincecum, Sanchez, Cain and Lowry all under 28. No matter what this has been fun so far and the rest of the year looks promising for entertaining baseball. Heaven forbid Bocock, Burriss or Bowker actually pans out. As someone who bashed the farm system for years I have to say right now the kids are young and probably don't belong in the bigs but they sure are playing good ball and they run better than any team in the game right now.

Moving Zito to the pen is fine, his speed is so slow it will throw people off when he comes in in releif.
They all run well, except Bengie. I thought he was going to trip over 1st when he got the double last night. They had some glowing things to say about Lincecum, but given his size and mechanics, I'd be surprised if he lasted more than 10 years in the bigs. He reminds me a little of Hideo Nomo with his sweeping overhand motion. He pitched great last night, but the Giants beat themselves. Like the D'backs last year, the Giants are putting the young guys out there to get the experience in the show. It worked for them, and I'd agree that they are playing very well. They leading all teams with 33 SB. In second is another team out-performing expectations... the Orioles. They're 26th in BBs and 3rd in SOs though, so youth/inexperience has it's disadvantages.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Bengie looks like he's towing a trailer when he runs

Jefferson
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Slow baseball players ftw! Piazza, Eric Karros, Ramon Castro, Molina and Mo Vaughn--all tremendously slow! :D
en kærlighed småkager