WC3X goes gold..

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

WC3X goes gold..

Post by Animalor »

For those that care.
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Goes Gold!
Blizzard announced today that Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, the eagerly awaited expansion set to the fastest-selling PC game ever, has gone gold. With initial orders of over 2.5 million copies, the game will be available at retail outlets worldwide in multiple languages beginning on July 1, 2003. Read More.
http://www.blizzard.com
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Fuck, guess I'll have to buy that next week ;)
Estrosiath
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Estrosiath »

I'm going to sound stupid - but what does exactly "going gold" means?
Lexien
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lexien »

I think it's kinda like Artist in the music business their cd goes gold, platinum and whatnot for the number of sold copies?

Anyone can correct me if i am wrong but this was my understanding.
65 Deceiver
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

In the music industry...Going gold is 100,000 copies sold. Platinum is 1 million. Fuck if I know what it means in the gaming industry.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Estrosiath wrote:I'm going to sound stupid - but what does exactly "going gold" means?
The final build deemed stable and 'bug free' enough to be released is traditionaly refered to as 'gold code'.

Software develops from Alpha to Beta but 'Gamma' never really caught on. For the final build they used 'Gold'... akin to a gold medal, first place or the best....

It's coincidental that when the term first started to be used with any regularity, Compact Disc was the common media used to ship 'gold code' off to be copied.... back when writable compact discs were exclusively gold.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Truant wrote:In the music industry...Going gold is 100,000 copies sold. Platinum is 1 million. Fuck if I know what it means in the gaming industry.
Technically, Gold is 500k in the music business.

/nitpicking off
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah its because the master CD that got shipped off to the manufacturer of the discs used to be gold.

So in the game industry going gold means that the publisher has their hands on the final copy that they will stamp onto CD's and pack into the retail boxes.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Actually, they are still gold a lot of times.

And, I have my pre-order in for this one already. I bought an Xbox game I didnt like at GameStop and I took it back and put part of the money on this.
Adelrune Argenti
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Pre-order is a fucking scam. Many companies base thier pricing on pre-orders. Bizzard priced WCIII at around 60$ because they knew they could based on record pre-orders. They also post marketing like "The most pre-orders for an RTS game in the history of gaming!". It annoys me on multiple levels.

Homey don't play that.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

For the most part, I agree. However, this was OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS easier to do than the hassle of actually getting a refund from them for the $10.76 they owed me.
Adelrune Argenti
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

"big bad voodo" on the new orc hero is gonna be super badass, being that i like to make 1 massive attack to take someone out