Stepping up rhetoric against Syria

What do you think about the world?
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Stepping up rhetoric against Syria

Post by Brotha »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 11,00.html
“We believe there are chemical weapons in Syria,” Mr Bush said. “We expect co-operation and I’m hopeful that we will receive co-operation.”
Mr Rumsfeld, who last month accused Syria of channelling military equipment including night-vision goggles to Iraq, said yesterday: “Being on the terrorist list is not some place I’d want to be. The (Syrian Government is making a lot of bad mistakes, a lot of bad judgment calls, in my view, and they’re associating with the wrong people.”

He added that there was “no question” that some senior Iraqi leaders had fled to Syria.
General Powell also told Syria not to offer shelter to Iraqi officials fleeing Baghdad.

He said: “We think it would be very unwise if suddenly Syria becomes a haven for all these people who should be brought to justice who are trying to get out of Baghdad. Syria has been a concern for a long period of time. We have designated Syria for years as a state sponsor of terrorism.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Apr13.html
Asked if the charges, a regular theme in recent weeks from hard-line members of the U.S. administration, could lead to war, Bush told reporters: "I think that we believe there are chemical weapons in Syria, for example. And we will -- each situation will require a different response and, of course, we're -- first things first.
"The (Syrian) government is making a lot of bad mistakes, a lot of bad judgments in my view," Rumsfeld said in an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation."
"There are a number of non-Iraqis who are in the country, particularly in Baghdad we find ... A lot from Syria, most from Syria it appears," he said.

Asked if they were involved in fighting, Rumsfeld said, "Absolutely. In firefights, a lot of them got killed last night."
Hopefully from our actions in Iraq, Syria and Iran will know not to fuck with us and will cooperate. I really can't see this escalating, unless Syria deliberately tries to pick a fight with us...which would be suicide for them and they know it now. Also, as one of the articles mentions, elections will be coming up not before too long, and it would be political suicide for Bush if we attacked Syria under these conditions.

I can see several people here shuddering now lol. Chemical weapons and Syria in the same sentence! US imperialism continues!!
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I know where you are coming from, but I can't believe we honestly expect these muslim countries to bow at our every demand while we make war in their back yard. If that's the case, we are in for a very long "with us or against us" campaign. We are basically drawing a line in the sand by these statements, with our gun cocked. This is a very dangerous stance to take. Expecting them to do everything we say is not realistic, and making war on them when they don't comply is nothing more than oppression.

It's just too damn aggressive, even for me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I think we'll keep going until casualties are so bad that even more people speak up.

Syria is next.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

After the Iraq situation specially with syria right next door, if there is a war declared on them, i have a feeling theyl get some allies on there side who also oppose the US government with the fear that they are next, no doubt a war with Syria will loose at least 25% more american support and sure as fuck piss of the non agressive countrys
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I agree. If we stayed in the region and just swept into Syria from Iraq using the bases captured there rather than (or including) the other coutries letting us use them now, it would appear to be more of an invasion of a region than "defense/liberation." Whether people think that is what is going on now or not, I think this *would* do more harm than "good."
Spangaloid_PE
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spangaloid_PE »

imo, and only my opinon, the coalition will send in special ops guys and we won't hear anything about it.
Spangaloid Scuzzlebum - 65 PROPHET
Liqour in the front - Poker in the rear
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

I doubt the American people will support war with Syria.

However Syria has been a sponsor of terrorism for years. I think we are merely trying some tough-sounding rhetoric to see if they will moderate their position and quit supporting Saddam's old regime.

You have to admit that our rhetoric is much harsher when we have a quarter million battle-tested troops right next to Syria. And we have a President with a reputation as a cowboy :)

Finally, remember that Syria can publicly condemn us while privately meeting our demands out of view of their citizens.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Going into Syria would be a disaster.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

will be
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

It would take at least 3 whole months of constant white house media updates linking syria to al'qeada, saddam hussein and communists until the majority of the country starts blabbering about how syria is the ultimate evil in the world and must be bathed in the cleansing fire of jesus-approved american bombs.

so it probably won't happen till late summer in the earliest.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

However Syria has been a sponsor of terrorism for years. I think we are merely trying some tough-sounding rhetoric to see if they will moderate their position and quit supporting Saddam's old regime.
Heh so Saudi is next? :)
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

there might already be special ops in Syria, my cousins in the special forces and he got shipped off to iraq for some "training" or something 2 months before even a discussion about a probable war with iraq was introduced, you can never. trust the media or what you are told, anywhere
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

2 months before even a discussion about a probable war with iraq was introduced
Rumsfeld started the work on war with Iraq on 9/11. That was proven in an article that was linked in some thread here, with direct quotes from him etc.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would've assumed the same thing about Iraq. I currently think anything is possible.
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
I would've assumed the same thing about Iraq. I currently think anything is possible.
Anything is possible with God~
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Anyone wanna re-read that article comparing Bush to Hitler?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Not really Animalor...it was a piece of doody the first two times I read it.