Gamescom 2014 / 2015

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Gamescom 2014 / 2015

Post by Aslanna »

Starts soon! Unlike with E3 and it's super leaky ship we might actually get some surprises.
Last edited by Aslanna on July 24, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gamescom 2014

Post by Winnow »

The next 'Tomb Raider' is an Xbox exclusive

While last year's excellent reboot of Tomb Raider was available on a number of platforms, the same can't be said for its sequel: Microsoft has announced that the new game will be exclusive to Xbox. The announcement was made during Microsoft's Gamescom press conference in Germany, where it was revealed that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be available during the holiday 2015 window. The Xbox exclusivity is a big shift for a franchise that many associate with the PlayStation name. The game will be coming to Xbox One, though the wording means a 360 version is also possible.
Hope it's good!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's pretty lame. Microsoft can't have their own studios come up with exclusives so they have to buy exclusivity from third parties. Bad for gamers anytime it's done!
Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher
Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios
This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC.
Uh. That's exactly what it means. Enjoy your fat stacks of Microsoft cash guys!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, that's pretty lame.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Very carefully worded. It may very well be a timed exclusive. If they hit 60fps and 1089p on the xbone, I'll buy it there. If not I'll wait for the eventual PS4 version.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Very carefully worded. It may very well be a timed exclusive. If they hit 60fps and 1089p on the xbone, I'll buy it there. If not I'll wait for the eventual PS4 version.

if anything it would go to the Windows platform, since Microsoft would make more $$ there as well at a later date.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:if anything it would go to the Windows platform, since Microsoft would make more $$ there as well at a later date.
In what way? People aren't going to run out and buy Windows to play a game as they more than likely already have one of those. I seriously doubt publishers on the PC platform have to give MS any sort of licensing money so I don't see how Microsoft is making "more $$ there as well at a later date". But perhaps I am missing something obvious!

Unless you mean as publisher. But Square is the publisher on this game and not Microsoft so... That's a no-go there as well.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Yeah, it's a timed exclusive.

I wonder how long?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Even if it's not just a timed exclusive, and there's still some debate on if it is or is not, it's not a huge deal for me personally. I played the first one and thought it was just alright but surely nothing close to Game of the Year. My thoughts at the time:
While I found the graphics good I found the gameplay a bit lacking. Run around..shoot some dudes.. Do some QTE events. Repeat. And the 'supernatural' stuff was a turnoff but from what I understand that's a staple of the Tomb Raider games? I found it OK for free but happy I didn't pay for it. I really found no incentive to go around after finishing the game and doing other things.
I found the downloadable Guardian of Light game enjoyable but I'm going to give the sequel Temple of Osiris a pass though since apparently Crystal Dynamics is happy with Microsoft's money so they don't need any more from PC and PlayStation gamers. Grats on the lost sale. Power to the people!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:That's pretty lame. Microsoft can't have their own studios come up with exclusives so they have to buy exclusivity from third parties. Bad for gamers anytime it's done!

Uh. That's exactly what it means. Enjoy your fat stacks of Microsoft cash guys!
Had that damned idiot Don Mattrick not gutted Microsoft Studios with the exception of Rare and Lionhead, they probably would be in a better position to make their own stuff.

If/Until Phil Spencer rebuilds the 1st party studios, this may happen a few more times.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.
My guess would probably be 6 months. Nobody will even want it at that point!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They said Holiday 2015 so probably at least 4 months minimum.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:They said Holiday 2015 so probably at least 4 months minimum.
A year. Why even bother! People will have forgotten all about it by then. Although PS4 probably gets the GOTY version with all the DLC bundled in at a savings. Thanks Microsoft!
Square Enix today announced its latest title in the critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider series, Rise of the Tomb Raider , will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016. The game will be a console exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360 for one year after its initial launch, coming to PlayStation 4 (PS4) in Holiday 2016
My advice: People should just wait a few months and get the PC version. It will be better than either PS4 or XBO. Hopefully it's not WIndows 10 only. That quote is weirdly worded .

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

My advice, don't buy any of their products, hope crystal dynamics gets dropped by Square, and the rest of the world's 3rd party software camps won't ditch the people who helped make them. Timed release or not, I won't buy it new/on sale/etc. I'll only buy it used, so they get nothing. Yeah, that's just my wishful thinking :) And I can play it on my 360, I just won't. It always makes me jaded when a 3rd party decides that the consumers money isn't good enough for them anymore. That's insane.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, timed exclusive for an entire year on a full game like that is absurd. There are going to be a number of people that won't buy it when it does come out on the PS4 just out of spite, and an even larger number that won't because it will be old news and a lot of newer, shinier things will be coming out. There's no way the developer isn't losing out doing things this way - if for no other reason than the money they're waiting a year or more to earn for the PS4 is money they could have a year sooner to invest back into their company and their future endeavors.

I get first party developers, but exclusive shit - timed or otherwise, needs to stop elsewhere.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Luckily in this case it doesn't impact me since I didn't plan on buying it anyway. Other than maybe when it's on a Steam sale in a year or two for $5. I thought the previous game was average at best.

Exclusives in general, third party more so than first party, are just lame and they're not enough to make me want to buy one console over another. I will never buy another MS gaming console no matter what games come out for it. People say "Your loss" but not really. How can I lose that which I never had! That's also why I don't understand why people get upset when a game is delayed. It's just a game people. It will be released eventually. Your world isn't going to end if you have to wait 6 more months to play a game.

Anyway, back to this game, by this holiday the PS4 will probably hit 30 million sold. So say even if only 10% were interested in buying it on PS4 that's still 3 million missed (or at the very least delayed) sales. MS must have wrote a nice check.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cool. I can play both games if I feel like playing the Tomb Raider rip off game as well while you people whine about timed exclusives!

TR looks more interesting than Uncharted though. Gritty survival in tough environment vs yet another romp through some tropical looking islands!

Legendary Lara Croft vs last episode, soon forgotten Uncharted character

Both will be fun. Honestly prefer TR over Uncharted though, at least the last versions of them that were released.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Cool. I can play both games if I feel like playing the Tomb Raider rip off game as well while you people whine about timed exclusives!
No whining from me. Other than to say it is bad regardless of what game it is or what console it is running on. And if you can't agree that's the case you're just being a massive troll. But hey what else would be new?

First party shit makes sense. Third party with an existing franchise not so much.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gamescom 2014 / 2015

Post by Winnow »

Exclusives make sense. These companies are trying to make money. They didn't make their consoles to be generic play boxes like PCs. First or Third party...it doesn't matter. If a company has the $$ to pay for an exclusive then why not. Happens everywhere. NFL Ticket is a great example. DirecTV pays billions to the NFL for the rights. They wouldn't if it didn't make business sense to do so.

I suppose I'd be upset if TR was a PS4 exclusive and I was one of those Sony fanbois that only get one console. It's one of the few games that is worth playing. Shame on Microsoft for having so much money!

Half of Sony's press conference at E3 was announcing their third party exclusive little extras like Bobba Fett or some other little thing to make a game seem more appealing on their platform. I prefer Microsoft's approach, offering something really worthwhile such as console exclusive mods for Fallout 4 usable on Xbox One. Maybe PS4 will get those as well after a year!

I'm in the Fable Legends beta on Xbox One. So far, it's been great although only got partially through tutorial last weekend. Too busy PC gaming.

PC > Console

when it comes to gaming over the past year. Hopefully new Windows games will be Windows 10 exclusives to fuck over the whack people that refuse to upgrade.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I suppose I'd be upset if TR was a PS4 exclusive and I was one of those Sony fanbois that only get one console. It's one of the few games that is worth playing. Shame on Microsoft for having so much money!
Well considering it's not an Xbox exclusive either I'm not really sure of your point.
Winnow wrote:Hopefully new Windows games will be Windows 10 exclusives to fuck over the whack people that refuse to upgrade.
Or to fuck over themselves by having a smaller install base which will purchase their game? Sure. Didn't you say companies are trying to make money? I don't see games being Windows 10 only for awhile. Especially not while Windows 7 is still being supported. How many Windows 8 only games have we seen lately?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, he has no fucking clue what he's talking about, per usual. The exclusive shit spilling over into other forms of media doesn't mean it's a good business model. Apple and Tidal are pulling that shit with music streaming and what it's likely going to lead to is more pirating. Most people can't/won't pay a monthly fee for several different music services just to have access to everything they want.

In my opinion, many of these companies feel like they can push the competition out and end up being the only good option with enough time and money, and that just plain won't happen in any of their cases.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I can understand a 30 day exclusive, but one year? Most games won't be relevant after the first year!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funk, it's a crack up whenever you call someone out for not having a clue!
Aslanna wrote: Or to fuck over themselves by having a smaller install base which will purchase their game? Sure. Didn't you say companies are trying to make money? I don't see games being Windows 10 only for awhile. Especially not while Windows 7 is still being supported. How many Windows 8 only games have we seen lately?

Windows 10 is moving to mandatory updates for the home edition. There will be ways to delay them and Pro and Enterprise users won't have to auto update, but for the general clueless masses (yeah the same masses that are still unwittingly running bots on their windows XP PCs) Windows 10 will keep them up to date with the latest security updates, etc.

Microsoft will avoid a ton of headaches caused by morons by getting the majority to update to Windows 10. In case you haven't noticed, they aren't the "evil empire" they used to be. Might want to read a few articles on the general consensus about Microsoft these days.

Since Windows 10 is it for Windows with continued updates from now on, it's a good idea to update at some point in the next few months. There won't be a Windows 11.

Of course, there's also DirectX 12 for Xbox One and Windows 10 which is a good reason to make the upgrade for gamers.