Arrow

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Arrow

Post by Zaelath »

Why does this get such good reviews? Watched the pilot and thought it was the worst piece of crap I've ever seen, if you don't count The Transporter TV series since I've only seen ads for that.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Arrow

Post by Winnow »

I've been watching Arrow the past few weeks on Netflixs and think its one of the best Super Hero television series ever made.

The show gets better with almost every episode. It's like they're learning as they go and improving their work. Outstanding character development for multiple characters in the show. What at first appears to be a simple back story (origin) of Oliver on the island expands and has become expansive and interesting in itself. There are several key supporting characters that take awhile to be introduced and fleshed out so a single episode doesn't quite cut it on this show.

There are both deep running story lines and good single episode stories. They've toned down the costumes enough to make it more palatable. Besides Green Arrow being called "The Hood" or vigilante, the other DC characters introduced into the show so far have been interesting.

I'm more of a Marvel Universe fan but DC did an excellent job with this series. I avoided it for quite some time because I think bow and arrow heroes are lame. (Hawkeye included) but even my disgust of them fades away when watching the show. It's a show I wanted and expected to hate but ended up enjoying.

I think this series, maybe more than some others, requires giving it several episodes before deciding it's fate. I recommend giving it a try if you're a comic nerd. I'm looking forward to see their interpretation of the Black Canary in season two.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Caught up through episode 9 of season 2.

Solid show IMO.

Some of the other bigger name characters from DC in the show:

Black Canary: She's ok so far. She seems a little weak willed compared to the comic version I'm used to from Birds of Prey. Maybe she has some more development to do in the show. Speaking of Birds of Prey, anyone ever see the TV series? I saw a few episodes, missing second episode. It came out in 2002 and has the same style as Arrow but not polished.

Flash: Interesting. Pretty young actor they chose. Still in origins phase so only know him as Barry Allen in the show so far. That should change next episode.

Slade Wilson: Deathstroke. (actor that played Crixus in the TV series Spartacus) has made for an interesting back story which is catching up to the present in the show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A lot of the Arrow discussion has taken place on the Netflix thread.

Here's a good article on a few reasons the show is worth watching:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/why-y ... 00-148146/

It's still one of the best shows out there right now even with it coming from CW.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Maybe the best cw has to offer. I couldn't make it through season 2. I stuck it out far beyond reason. The show is just not very good. I watched the first four or five seasons of smallville and this is only a slight upgrade. It's. Probably the retarded night club thing and damaged youth.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I like it because every episode is quickly paced and both adds and moves the overall arching plot. The characters and situations evolve rapidly and generally have decent conclusions. It toys with a couple of typical TV conventions and I like type of style.

I really like the show a lot.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Suicide Squad! Harley Quinn! They haven't really introduced Harley Quinn yet but it's her.

Interesting that the the Doctor from Firefly had about a 15 second cameo as one of the Suicide Squad before biting it. A quick check of his IMDb profile shows mostly bit parts since Firefly and no upcoming shows. He must be desperate for work.

This show still going strong. Enjoying the side characters stories as much or more than Arrow's. Suicide Squade making things interesting. Slade/Deathstroke storyline working up to a season finale. Hope they do a good Harley Quinn if she shows up in upcoming episodes.