Mad Men

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Mad Men

Post by Abelard »

Has anyone else followed this tv show? They just aired their season finale. I have to say that its one of the best programs on tv right now. The writing is superb.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Mad Men

Post by Aslanna »

What makes it so? You need to sell it a little better than that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Fash and I have been watching it from the beginning. It is an amazing show. It is set in 1960 and is about an advertising agency. The acting is phenomenal. No selling needed. Watch the first episode. It sells itself.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Well I don't know if you'll be immediately hooked by the first episode... When my friends and I watched the premier we were intrigued, though... After 3 episodes, we couldn't wait for each next installment.

I think people like this show for different reasons, so any single explanation might not fit your interpretation... I love it for the deep personal issues that everyone in the show is dealing with, and how they manage to get by... I love how basically everything in the show (besides smoking and drinking at your desk) continues to be relevant today in one form or another. It might be a different time, but I can't say it's a simpler one. The writing, acting, and filmography are brilliant.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I saw the pilot and was rather disappointed - mostly because it's ridiculously inaccurate, historically. Everything seems to chosen by the set designers from two criteria: it looked cool and is more than 30 years old. No consistency at all :/

Bothered me so much I had a hard time taking it seriously.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

I suppose, but they did make sure that all the adds they use are period accurate. Its really interesting seeing what passed for okay back then.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Fash and I have been watching it from the beginning. It is an amazing show. It is set in 1960 and is about an advertising agency. The acting is phenomenal. No selling needed. Watch the first episode. It sells itself.
'Sell it' as in give people enough reason to even watch the first episode. As in even something as basic as what the show is even about and what you like so much about that you think other people should watch it.

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Fash and I have been watching it from the beginning. It is an amazing show. It is set in 1960 and is about an advertising agency. The acting is phenomenal. No selling needed. Watch the first episode. It sells itself.
'Sell it' as in give people enough reason to even watch the first episode. As in even something as basic as what the show is even about and what you like so much about that you think other people should watch it.
Singling me out even on a thread about a TV show? *sigh* Fuck off. Please don't watch it. You don't deserve it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna does have a point on the original post in this thread.

If you're going to post a new thread about a show, you should make the effort to at least give a little description of what it's about and why you like it or dislike it, not just "go watch it".

see: Gossip Girls

No one watched it but at least they could read my basic overview and decide if it was or wasn't worth the time to seek out and download/dvr.

Abelard did state that "the writing is superb" but that's still pretty vague.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Singling me out even on a thread about a TV show? *sigh* Fuck off. Please don't watch it. You don't deserve it.
Don't be retarded. What makes you think I'm "singling" you out. I was defining what I meant by "selling it". This was obviously in regards to the initial post dipshit.

Let me put it in words you probably still can't understand: It had nothing to do with you.

Here's another hint: Winnow got it.

Have a nice day!

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You did single me out. I didn't start the thread.
What you are, what you want, what you love doesn't matter. It's all about how you sell it. From AMC and the Emmy® Award-winning executive producer and writer of "The Sopranos" Matthew Weiner, comes Mad Men, a provocative new primetime drama about how to sell the truth. Set in 1960 New York, the daring new series is about the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising, an ego-driven world where key players make an art of the sell while their private world gets sold. The 13-episode, one-hour original program produced by Lionsgate premieres Thursday, July 19 at 10 PM | 9C.

Created, executive produced and written by Weiner, the drama series stars Jon Hamm (We Were Soldiers), Elisabeth Moss (The West Wing), Vincent Kartheiser (Angel), January Jones (We Are Marshall) and Christina Hendricks (Kevin Hill), and guest stars John Slattery (Desperate Housewives), Rosemarie DeWitt (Standoff), Talia Balsam (All the Kings Men) and legendary stage and screen star Robert Morse ("How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying"). Michael Gladis (Third Watch), Aaron Staton (The Nanny Diaries), Rich Sommer (The Devil Wears Prada), Maggie Siff (Michael Clayton) and Bryan Batt (La Cage Aux Folles") round out the cast.

The Setting: In 1960, advertising agencies were an all-powerful influence on the masses. Personal and professional manipulation and sexual exploits defined the workplace and closed the deals. The high profile Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency created advertising campaigns – from cigarettes to political candidates -- better than anyone. It was a time of great ferment. Women had barely begun to come into their own. Librium and birth control were on the move. Ethics in the workplace, smoke-free environments, sexual harassment and ethnic diversity were workshops of the future.

The Premise: The series depicts the sexual exploits and social mores of this most innovative yet ruthless profession, while taking an unflinching look at the ad-men who shaped the hopes and dreams of Americans on a daily basis.

The Players: The series revolves around the conflicted world of Don Draper (Hamm), the biggest ad man (and ladies man) in the business, and his colleagues at the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency. As Don makes the plays in the boardroom and the bedroom, he struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels. The series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960 traditional family values.
Have a wonderfully fantastic day.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:You did single me out. I didn't start the thread.
I'm well aware of who started the thread but thanks anyway for the clarification. I can now rest easy.

If you find my post as "singling you out" you're a sadly paranoid individual.

--
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

Haha, I profusely apologize for not further developing that post Aslanna and Winnow. Its the most well reviewed new television show at the moment so I figured a majority of people knew what it was. Midnyte posted a good summation so I think we should leave it at that. Now lets get all the e-peens out of the way and get back on track with Mad Men discussion.

Here are a couple of my predictions for next season.
[Show]
I suspect Don's wife will have an affair. She seems desperate for affection that Don isn't giving her. She is also going to find out about Don's past.
Share your own predictions!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:you're a sadly paranoid individual.
Why would you say that? Who've you been talking to?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I had some Best Buy money and picked Season 1 up on a whim.

Wow! Never has a show built up such bottled up suspense, and then popped the cork in such a smooth, anticipated, yet wholly surprising manner.

I've never wanted to smoke cigarettes so badly.
People spoke intelligently, with transparent purpose, and damning effect.
Bitches dressed really weird. They all appear really thick. The pointy tits are odd.

It seems the men got married as an excuse to live secret lives. I wonder how prevalent that is today, given how easy it is to track somebody down, and the fact that fewer people believe in marriage.

I'm gonna buy the hell out of the rest of the series.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If fashion was controlled by hetero men instead of fags and hags, there would never be another skinny, no-ass "supermodel."
The guy saluting understands.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

The ONLY reason to watch Mad Men!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's been gone awhile.. But Season 5 starts March 25th!

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Looking forward to it. I didn't catch on until season 4. The wife and I power watched through all four seasons within a couple of months.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The seventh series of the award-winning US drama Mad Men is to be split into two parts, with the finale pushed back to 2015. US cable network AMC said seven episodes will air next spring, with the final seven broadcast in 2015.
Ugh. Same thing they did with Breaking Bad. AMC kind of sucks with how they do their final seasons.

--