The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: 2- Everything I've read stated you wouldn't be able to play them at the same time, which would drastically reduce any use I got out of sharing games. And I'd still rather own my games,
What?

1. You can't play the same game ever in two location with physical media. With Xbox One, you can play any other game in someone's library at the SAME time though. And you can let someone else play any of the games in your library while you're playing whatever game you choose without having to drive over and give them the game.

2. You'd rather own your own games? How does that affect anything? Buy your own games if you want your own games. The goal of moving to non physical media is to reduce the new game cost.

It will happen over the next few years.

Like I said, I doubt it will last. And there's no way you're going to be able to buy a multiplayer game and share it with 10 of your friends and all be playing multiplayer at the same time. That would be the only use I'd get out of sharing.

And again, the reduced cost won't happen. Games totally digital will still be sixty dollars because MS is greedy, I mean, they're taking a part of the "licensing fee" for software even though they did nothing to earn it. OH WAIT - it's a bribe for them to play copyright enforcer for the software companies. Again, fuck that.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

About point 2. If that feature goes away, you still have the disk handy. You'll never lose that game as long as you have the physical media. The 10 people that had been accessing it while you're not playing, they would lose access but they never bought the game to begin with.

One thing I'm curious about is how it handles the situation where someone in your family is playing a game on their Xbox One but then you get home and want to play it. Can you, being the owner, override their session?

It would be all sorts of awesome if you could simulate couch multiplayer over xbox live with 1 copy of the game shared between family members.
And again, the reduced cost won't happen. Games totally digital will still be sixty dollars because MS is greedy, I mean, they're taking a part of the "licensing fee" for software even though they did nothing to earn it. OH WAIT - it's a bribe for them to play copyright enforcer for the software companies. Again, fuck that.
Ah because doing QA and certifications on all the games and providing an entire cloud computing back end for these companies is something they should be doing for free for the good of all mankind.

Look at the PS3 of 7 hears ago and the Xbox 360 from 8 years ago. Which of those 2 products has evolved the most in your mind.

Me, I'll pick the company that understands software every..single..time.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It would be all sorts of awesome if you could simulate couch multiplayer over xbox live with 1 copy of the game shared between family members.
Now I just don't know what to think.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:About point 2. If that feature goes away, you still have the disk handy. You'll never lose that game as long as you have the physical media. The 10 people that had been accessing it while you're not playing, they would lose access but they never bought the game to begin with.
They way I see it, they don't give two shits about the physical media, once you buy it, electronic or physical copy and install it, you own it so, if you lose everything and buy a new Xbox One, you can just download all of your games again, even if you originally purchased it on physical media. The same way it works on steam.

For those wanting to have 10 people playing the same game at the same time...buy 10 copies. You can't do that with physical media either. The single copy coaching might be cool though. There is remote access so you may be able to jump in form another PC and help or play that same game but not two separate versions of it at the same time.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

From http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
This doesn't answer if your family member can play the same game you are but if they can, COOL!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JayJohnson/2 ... oyment.php

I mentioned this earlier when most of the MS stuff was in the rumor phase, but basically they can kiss the military buyers goodbye!

It's just so frustrating. Wake up and smell the failure MS. Change your stupid policies.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Given the fuss they made when Major Nelson visited your troops in Iraq, you figure they would've thought about this one.

Saying "Just get the 360" is dumb.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'd rather they didn't change anything .That way we can get a better idea of whether or not people like, or at least accept, those policies. It could be that a majority of people don't care enough to make Microsoft care.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm also surprised they didn't think it through for the military personnel. Gaming is one of the primary forms of entertainment for them awhile on TDY, on ships/subs, or stationed in some remote location.

What an incredibly clueless response from Microsoft to say, "get a 360" if you're in the military...I mean seriously, anyone (besides Wii fools) wants the latest consoles graphics and games. I'd say a hearty "fuck you" to Microsoft and go 100% PS4 if I was in the service and then stick with PS4 when I got back to somewhere I had an internet connection.

I like Microsoft's policy. I think it will be great and better than Sony's but there need to be exceptions for the 24 hour thing.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

It's simple really. If the main console hasn't been online in over 24 hours, revoke the licences of any shared library copy
(these ones need to check in once an hour if I understand correctly) and require the disk in the main console. If a game is inserted in a 360 without internet connection from the get go, play purely from the disk and don't install the game to the drive.

I'm most likely missing something from the way they engineered something but this seems like an acceptable solution while keeping all the cool things about their system.

Either that or shelf all the fancy ideas for a couple of years and re-introduce them slowly one at a time over the next 10 years as the market gradually moves to digital only.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

If you can't connect to the internet every 24 hours maybe you don't deserve to play Microsoft's lineup of hot exclusive titles. How about instead of death matching in Halo you get your dumb asses out there and fight some fucking terrorists? 'Merica is paying you to do a job. I would cringe to think of my tax dollars being wasted on stuff like a bunch of army guys sitting around an Xbox; probably drinking all that free water and eating all that food too. None of that shit is free. There are muslims to murder in revenge for 9/11 and oil and mineral interests to secure. You can play your Xbox when you get back and have nothing to do between your hearings about your rejected veteran's benefits claims.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Most people I know in the military have been frustrated with Microsoft for a while now. My cousin has to use my credit card when he doesn't want to wait for a Microsoft point card to come in the mail, because they won't let you use a FPO/AP address.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Just did a quick search and apparently you have the same limitation on the psn side. But what good is a points card and/or psn card on a base where internet is not readily available? (Not trolling, just asking since this is part of the whole Xbox One controversy)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft announced Xbox One games will be 59.99. I assume PS4 games will be as well but if we somehow see 69.00, you can make up that 100.00 price difference between the consoles with ten games.
And for PS4? Sony's U.S. boss of PlayStation business, Jack Tretton, implied in an interview last February that PS4 games would also peak at $60. Oddly, at E3 this past week, Sony reps declined to say what their PS4 games will cost. "I know the pricing," Sony's head of worldwide game development, Shuhei Yoshida, told me when we met to chat about PlayStation. He checked with his PR minder sitting near us and confirmed that, no, he was not permitted to officially tell me what that PS4 game pricing would be. Not yet.
Why not announce it if it's 59.99? They wouldn't lose any of their PR momentum since it's the same as Xbox One. I'm expecting 59.99 but if their aggressive 399 console pricing causes higher game prices it will be interesting.

For those that didn't see it on the other thread. Here's Xbox One's game license policy:

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

The more I look at how Microsoft is handling it, the more I like it. Who needs a physical disc when you can just let your friend use your game without giving them anything at all. And for kyoukan, who must be popping out billions of kids and may need to worry about the ten family member limit, Microsoft's shared game policy is even better. Buy one game, access it on any Xbox One in the house.

Specifically:
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home:

Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
and when you're over at your drug dealer's house:
Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required:

After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
After all the panty bunching over ancient physical disks calms down (which can also be traded or sold for used games with the Xbox One), Microsoft's policy may beat the living shit out of Sony's. I haven't seen anything close to this kind of remote/local diskless sharing policy for the PS4 and question if they have the cloud network robustness to even support it.

I acknowledge the 24 hour check in needs to be addressed for military and certain situations but on the flip side, what it enables is awesome that the majority of us can take advantage of.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Brainwashed xbots gobbling up all that propaganda. Hilarious!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Brainwashed xbots gobbling up all that propaganda. Hilarious!
Would you point out the propaganda please? I see a policy.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home:
Guess what? I can do that right now with any of my games .

This must be magic because I can do that too! I need a disc but I can still do it. The cool thing about what I currently own is that I can bring mine to camp and play. Can you? No wait, you need an internet connection.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Winnow wrote:Microsoft announced Xbox One games will be 59.99. I assume PS4 games will be as well but if we somehow see 69.00, you can make up that 100.00 price difference between the consoles with ten games.
My god for the first time in your life you're actually right. HOLY FUCK! If Sony charges $169.99 for their games then the price difference will be made up in just one game purchase!

HOLY FUCK! Game publishers can already charge whatever the fuck they want for a game and Microsoft was only talking about first party games!

HOLY FUCK! You're still stupid!

When I was a kid, I had an NES that allowed me to share my games with anyone in my home.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lynks wrote:
This must be magic because I can do that too! I need a disc but I can still do it. The cool thing about what I currently own is that I can bring mine to camp and play. Can you? No wait, you need an internet connection.
Camping trips? For fuck's sake. If you go camping, enjoy the outdoors. Are you one of those people that is staring at their phone screen while standing in front of one of the wonders or the world? Hey, if you like to game in your pup sent with a 100decible generator cranked up outside, more power to you! lol

Can you go over to anyone's house and play your entire library of games or have them play yours without having to bring any physical media? Remote access to your entire library and also to all local Xbox Ones is actually a useful feature.

I could give a rat's ass about a physical disk. Not sure why anyone would actually buy a physical disk anymore. You're hanging on to the past while Microsoft is offering some actual sharing features that are outsanding and actually useful.

kyoukan: I thought you were just mostly clueless, not an actual moron. You proved me wrong!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

We should unpin the official PS3 thread and put this one up in it's place. I have a feeling that 31 pages will be eclipsed pretty easily through the power of Xbox One.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:We should unpin the official PS3 thread and put this one up in it's place. I have a feeling that 31 pages will be eclipsed pretty easily through the power of Xbox One.
Doubtful. It's already pretty boring. I'll leave you and Winnow to fight the good fight!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Realistic scenarios are what you should be considering for yourself.

How often will you be without an internet connection more than 24 hours?

1. You have 50 games.

option a: break out a few man purses and haul your collection over to your friends house to play them

option b: log in and play your entire library from any connected Xbox One on the planet.

2. Your friend wants to try out your game and lives 100 miles away.

option a: drive 100 miles and give them the game on disk. fed ex it over night. regular mail it to them. part ii: wait for them to return the game, give them postage money or gas money

option b: add them to your friends list and let them play any of your games

3. You want to sell your game to Gamestop to screw over the developers

option a: take your PS4 game to gamestop and sell it

option b: take your xbox one game to gamestop and sell it

wow, amazingly the same!

4. You visit a friend 100 or 1000 miles away and want to play games while there

a: pack up your 50 games and check your luggage at the airport

b: fly naked or in just a man-thong banana hammock and still play all of your games when you get to your friend's house.

5. Travel to Babooka Zibaboowa, located in the darkest part of Africa where it's sunny one day a year

options a: pack up your 50 games and a generator and play your games in Babooka Zibaboowa

option b: fill your backpack with antibiotics and macgyver type devices in case you get captured by the rebels

In every realistic scenario, I'll take option b.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PSN was down for about 1.5 months when they got hacked? If/when that happens to MS it's going to be a nightmare when no one can play a single one of their games. Any downtime, no matter how small, is going to lose customers right and left.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:PSN was down for about 1.5 months when they got hacked? If/when that happens to MS it's going to be a nightmare when no one can play a single one of their games. Any downtime, no matter how small, is going to lose customers right and left.
Yeah, I'd be worried if it was Sony offering this. Maybe that's why they can't. Their network sucks ass.

You can be paranoid about something that's never happened or look again at the benefits that far outweigh any drawbacks. Internet connectivity along with fail-safes, redundancy, etc is improving each day not getting worse.

Enjoy your physical disks! Take some old records and cassettes with you to listen to while you play your games! I'll take the model that makes a whole hell of a lot more sense with way better sharing options.

I'd rather take advantage of remote sharing and total library access the 99.999% of the time the network is online. You'll spend far more time toting around your disks while at the end of the day, both physical copies of games can be sold if the game companies allow it, which will be the exact same policy between the PS4 and Xbox One.

------------------------------

Also, I just listened to a Major Nelson interview and they are going to allow your mobile phone to be tethered to your console so you can do your 24 hours check in view your cell phone internet connection as well.

So, even if you have crappy internet that goes down for more than 24 hours, you can still check in with your phone. My cable has never gone down for more than 24 hours in 14 years but I know some of you are in third world countries with donkeys on the streets and stuff so, with even Africa owning the most cell phones of any continent, I assume that even your countries have cell phones.

I think it's time for a new whine from the PS4 fanbois.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I think it's time for a new whine from the PS4 fanbois.
Blahblahblah

I'll just wait until PS4 is released and buy it. I'll state my opinion that way instead of barfing all of the forums like you are doing with your Microsoft love. Feel free to carry on though!

--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Winnow wrote:
Lynks wrote:
Camping trips? For fuck's sake. If you go camping, enjoy the outdoors.
Up north, a lot of people I know go to their camp (cottage for those down south) for weeks, even months, at a time.

The mosquitoes up here are unbearable at night so we typically stay indoors at that time. We'll play card games, board games, and even break out the 360.

Stop being a douche.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

A few years back Xbox live was down for like a week. I'd be furious if that happened again and I couldn't play any of my games.

Winnow, your out-douching yourself here.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:A few years back Xbox live was down for like a week. I'd be furious if that happened again and I couldn't play any of my games.

Winnow, your out-douching yourself here.
First, that was in 2007, six years ago.

Second, Xbox Live ≠ all Microsoft servers. Xbox Live services can go down while the game check servers remain active.

Lynks wrote:The mosquitoes up here are unbearable at night so we typically stay indoors at that time. We'll play card games, board games, and even break out the 360.
And you can still do all of those things!

For Canadians, each Xbox One will include one of these:

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Do you realize if Sony charged one billion dollars for a game that if you bought just one game, you would have been way better off buying an Xbox One?! I will just take a few and let that shit sink in.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:Do you realize if Sony charged one billion dollars for a game that if you bought just one game, you would have been way better off buying an Xbox One?! I will just take a few and let that shit sink in.
That's fucking insane! Fuck PS4. Xbox One all the way.

On a more realistic and less hysterically slapstick funny note, the possibility of a 10.00 difference between the sale price of AA games would be a factor over the course of a 5+ year console cycle.

A game that sold for 59.99 in 2006 would sell for ~68 adjusted for inflation today so it's not unreasonable to think that Sony might charge 69.99 while also considering their aggressive console pricing. Need to make a profit somewhere.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Oh totally dude. If Sony sold their first party games at $10 more than Microsoft, that would definitely be more money.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Also if you bought a PS4 and took it home and the box was empty, it's obvious the Xbox One would be so much more value for your money.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:On a more realistic and less hysterically slapstick funny note, the possibility of a 10.00 difference between the sale price of AA games would be a factor over the course of a 5+ year console cycle.

A game that sold for 59.99 in 2006 would sell for ~68 adjusted for inflation today so it's not unreasonable to think that Sony might charge 69.99 while also considering their aggressive console pricing. Need to make a profit somewhere.
As point out this is only first party titles. EA, Activision, etc are free to set their own prices. Do you honestly think EA would price their XBO games at $60 and their PS4 titles at $70?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:On a more realistic and less hysterically slapstick funny note, the possibility of a 10.00 difference between the sale price of AA games would be a factor over the course of a 5+ year console cycle.

As point out this is only first party titles. EA, Activision, etc are free to set their own prices. Do you honestly think EA would price their XBO games at $60 and their PS4 titles at $70?
Yes if Sony wanted their cut to be more per game to make up for the the low price on their console.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Yes if Sony wanted their cut to be more per game to make up for the the low price on their console.
Then why would they let publishers set their own price? Your logic doesn't make sense.

Regardless, rather than speculating I'll just wait until it's announced. Being a bargain bin shopper I don't personally think it will make much of an impact on me.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Yes if Sony wanted their cut to be more per game to make up for the the low price on their console.
Then why would they let publishers set their own price? Your logic doesn't make sense.

Regardless, rather than speculating I'll just wait until it's announced. Being a bargain bin shopper I don't personally think it will make much of an impact on me.

The publishers can set any price they want but if Sony wants a certain amount per game that's more than what Microsoft is asking, it would make sense that the games might cost more if the third party companies want to make a profit. Sony hasn't even said their own games will be 59.99 yet.

I'm hoping it's 59.99 like Xbox Live games will be since I don't want kyoukan to forgo baby formula for her 10th kid just to buy the latest Ridge Racer game. She pops out more kids than a Somalian rape slave.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I breast feed. You'd know what breasts are if you were into girls over 11 years old.

Here's a mindblower: If Sony raped your dog when you bought a PS4, almost no dog owner would buy one. Wow that Xbox is looking better and better! Thanks for keeping this thread open with more of your amazing insights and insider information, Winnow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

People care about my dog that much? If my dog gets raped, almost no one will buy a PS4! Please continue.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Interactive entertainment research firm DFC has delivered a scathing verdict of Xbox One’s market chances in the wake of last weeks’ incredible events at E3.

In fact, it even goes as far as to question whether the scope of Xbox One’s PR failure to date could jeopardise Microsoft’s entire games operation.

DFC’s Forecasts for the Video Games Market report says that “Microsoft's overall strategy for entertainment devices is deeply flawed”.

In turn it has stated that it is likely to raise its PS4 sales forecasts and on turn “further lower” its Xbox One predictions in its upcoming August market update.

“So far this has not had a major negative impact on the Xbox business but that is likely to change with the Xbox One launch,” DFC’s David Cole stated. “Right now the entire future of Microsoft's consumer entertainment business is in question and that is likely to have a major impact on the game industry.”
Uh oh. Scathing verdict! Strategy "deeply flawed"!

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

They aren't making any more bone headed moves than Sony did last generation. Although at least Sony came out of it with dibs on the next generation of physical media with blu-ray; they lost their dominant market leadership with next gen consoles that matter.

Mind you Sony has their other divisions to fall back on where MS really has nothing profitable any longer except for their enterprise division. It has been nothing but a string of hardware failures for them. Eventually they will run out of cash.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Microsoft has something like 8 business units that have generated over a billion dollars and a lot of them are a lot to the books.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/microso ... businesses

If anything Microsoft is in a much better position because of their diversity than a company like Apple where so much of their good fortune relies on a product or two (if the iPhone or iPad ever fall out of style).

Diversity will help you ride our a storm, kinda like Sony's other businesses (insurance in Asia for example) have picked up the slack in the last few years due to piss poor performance of their electronics and the continued subsidies of their Playstation console and handheld businesses.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote: Mind you Sony has their other divisions to fall back on where MS really has nothing profitable any longer except for their enterprise division. It has been nothing but a string of hardware failures for them. Eventually they will run out of cash.
You fucking moron.

Lets look at those "other divisions":
Business Matters: Sony's Electronics Division 'Worth Zero,' Says Analyst

Competition from Apple and other hardware makers have helped render Sony’s electronics business utterly worthless, says one equity analyst. “Electronics is its Achilles’ heel and, in our view, it is worth zero,” Jeffries analyst Atul Goyal explained in a note to investors last week.

Discussion about Sony's electronics division arose because of recent calls from the hedge fund Third Point for Sony to separate its profitable divisions from its struggling electronics division. Third Point wants to create greater value by detaching the entertainment division from the rest of the company. It believes Sony's electronics division would benefit from the capital raised by a spinoff of the entertainment division and the ability to re-focus on delivering profitable consumer electronics products.
Sony actually makes most of its profit from its financial division. As the New York Times notes, the company’s insurance policies accounted for 63% of operating profit last year. Life insurance alone has generated over $9 billion in operating profit in the last decade.
Wow that's great. Life insurance sales. You go Sony! Lets see how that's worked out for them over the past 5 years:

I can't believe you actually compared Sony, a stock currently in JUNK status to MSFT. Jesus you're an idiot.

Sony finally made it's first profit in five years while Microsoft always is in the black with shit tons of cash on hand.
Microsoft Windows performance helps cash reserves grow by $5bn in six months

January 2013

Software company's second-quarter results show continuing strong demand for core Windows and Office product

Microsoft's cash hoard has grown by $5 billion to $68bn in six months, as the software giant's latest results show its core Windows and Office products remain a must have for business customers.

Revenues at the Windows division soared 24% in a year to $5.88bn, Microsoft revealed at its second quarter results on Thursday. In sharp contrast to Apple's shock failure to hit analyst targets the day before, Microsoft's numbers were in line with expectations.
What does Microsoft have to fall back on? 68 BILLION in cash and continued revenue growth while SNE junk sells some insurance.

Sony's Debt: $14.19 B

Microsoft can ride this "physical disk" bad PR out.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Not to dogpile, but I think the only reason Sony turned a profit for the first time is because they sold a skyscrapper they owned last year, right?

It's also my understanding that the console division does indeed turn a profit for Sony. So hopefully that remains so and we can always count on them to produce a console.

Sony's financials have look pretty goddamn bleak for the past decade. Samsung is cleaning their clock.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

While financials are all fine and dandy that has nothing to do with the DFC story!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:While financials are all fine and dandy that has nothing to do with the DFC story!
I think there is post confusion here. Winnow's response was to Kyoukan from another thread.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Not to dogpile, but I think the only reason Sony turned a profit for the first time is because they sold a skyscrapper they owned last year, right?

It's also my understanding that the console division does indeed turn a profit for Sony. So hopefully that remains so and we can always count on them to produce a console.

Sony's financials have look pretty goddamn bleak for the past decade. Samsung is cleaning their clock.
Sony also has a hedge fund screwing around with their stock.
Hedge fund buys 6.9pc of Sony, proposes to spin off film division

Wednesday, 19 June, 2013

Third Point, the hedge fund controlled by billionaire Daniel Loeb, has raised its stake in Sony to 6.9 per cent as it seeks talks with the board on a proposed spinoff of part of its entertainment business.

Funds controlled by Third Point now own 70 million shares through direct ownership and cash-settled swaps, according to a June 17 letter from the investor to Sony chief executive Kazuo Hirai.

Hirai and Sony's board are discussing Third Point's proposal to sell as much as 20 per cent of its music and film assets in an initial public offering, so that it can focus on reviving its consumer electronics earnings.

Loeb offered to meet with Sony directors and bankers and said the company was regaining its edge, citing the new PlayStation 4 game console and Xperia smartphones.

"It's positive for Sony; Loeb is acknowledging Sony's potential," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment Management in Tokyo. "It would be good for shareholders if Sony spins off its entertainment unit as it would boost its value."

Spokeswomen for Sony and Third Point declined to comment.

Loeb said a spinoff of the entertainment assets should include a "semi-independent governance structure" with Hirai serving as chairman of both companies. In a May 14 letter, Third Point said it held 64 million Sony shares.

Sony is working with Morgan Stanley and Citigroup as it considers the Loeb plan, people familiar with the matter said last month.
Kinda lame when your company sucks so bad that a hedge fund is influencing them. Of course, kyoukan thinks everything's fine and dandy with Sony and that Microsoft is in dire straights with nothing to fall back on. lol
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Seems Winnow was the only one that was going to buy an XBO...

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their Internet requirements and all restrictions on used games, according to the websites WhatHiFi and GiantBomb.

According to both reports, the announcement will be made today.

Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
Xbox lovers can thank Sony for that one, too.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Does it still cost FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS? Is Kinect spying on me still mandatory?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

kyoukan wrote:Does it still cost FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS? Is Kinect spying on me still mandatory?
Yes and yes. XBO still sucks just not as much as it was going to. I think MS realized they had lost the next generation before it even began.

--