Using Multiple HDDs

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Using Multiple HDDs

Post by Keverian FireCry »

So I finally bought a 'new' computer. It's actually a couple years old used computer, but will play new games well enough for my needs.

The computer came with a 80gb 10k RPM Velociraptor, which has Windows 8 installed on it. Obviously that's a relatively small HDD, so I'd like to use my leftover WD 320gb 7200RPM for storing most things.

I've never used multiple HDDs, but I know that you want the OS on one, and maybe certain apps and a game or two. Then use the bigger drive for most other things. That however is the extent of my knowledge, so if anyone can help me set this up and give some tips on managing it in the future, that would rock!

I am totally clueless about RAID and complex partitioning and such, so a simple setup is gonna be best. I don't want to screw things up. I'm good at that :p
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Using Multiple HDDs

Post by Kluden »

Well, to do it the simplest way, which is how i am rolling, and I assume all SATA at this point.

Basically, you just plug that other one in, and your mobo bios will recognize it, so windows will recognize it, and as long as your 320gb doesn't have an OS on it, your 80gb raptor will always be the load drive for the OS. Also, make sure you put the drives in order on the mother boards sata connectors, then they will line up for you as well. Like that OS drive should be SATA_0 port, the 320gb drive should be SATA_1, and your dvd/cd rom SATA_2. The only one that really matters though is the OS drive is SATA_0. You may or may not need to setup the load order in your bios, depending on the bios scripting...but that's easy enough too. I assume you know how to do that.

I would format the 320gb first thing, then, just make a folder called Windows Program Files, and when you install stuff, direct it to install on the 320gb drive. Not much more to it than that.

I run 2 small SSD's, one for windows, the other for non steam games, then a spin drive for my steam and other apps (320gb), then a 2tb for storage. That's all I do, when installing, point to the drive and folder you want to install to. Windows will know where you put it, so you won't have to worry about it not finding the executable files.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's a ton of youtube videos about installing a second hard drive. Just pick one and watch for basic tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87wQJwQujs

The above isn't any better than others but isn't super old so covers sata instead of ATA (which I assume you would have if your hard drive is relatively new)
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Thanks guys. It appears that the HD in my old computer is IDE(PATA?). Apparently it's ok to use a SATA and an IDE together?

The SATA 80gb has Windows on it, so the IDE would have games and most files. Would this effect the speed of accessing those files and gaming by much?

Should I get a newer SATA drive for the secondary or will this system run fine having the SATA for the OS and IDE for the rest?

Thanks again.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, it's fine. Assuming you have an IDE connection on the motherboard.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Yay. Soon many an old game shall be conquered. The latest game I had played on my own PC was Dragon Age 1, and that computer(laptop) died when I was about 85% through it. Been using a computer that couldn't even play Eve on lowest settings since then...

I did enjoy many old games that I likely would never have played had I not been limited in such a way. System Shocks, Deus Ex, replayed all of BG and IWD series, Planescape Torment, Gothic 1/2, Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and many more. It's been like a time-warp for the last few years.

This newish used computer will be the bridge to the present and future. Already looking into PSU/Case/Mobo/CPU, etc for a truly new build. :D