Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon to SyFy!!!!!!11!!

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon to SyFy!!!!!!11!!

Post by Canelek »

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/25/step ... y-network/
Yesterday, the SyFy network announced that they're developing Stephen King's 1987 fantasy novel The Eyes of the Dragon as a potential series, film or mini-series for the network. One presumes this decision is in answer to the wild popularity of Game of Thrones, HBO's adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy saga.

While The Eyes of the Dragon is only one rather short novel, it's a rich well. The book's about a scheming magician lobbying for power within a kingdom, murdering and framing those closest to the King in order to gain control. It takes place in the same universe as King's The Dark Tower series in a realm called Delain of In-World. There are several familiar references for Dark Tower fans: Flagg (the king's ominous magician), King Roland (a different Roland...OR IS HE?! [he is.]), Delain, the dragon and King Roland's sons Thomas and Dennis all make appearances in later novels.

It's a smart move for SyFy to tap into the popularity of The Dark Tower and Game of Thrones rather cheaply, as I imagine the the rights to this novel - not one of King's most successful - weren't exorbitant. SyFy really seems to want to ladle up to HBO's gravy train as they're also developing a series based on another supernatural novel by Charlaine Harris - the author of the series that HBO adapted into True Blood. They also announced comic adaptations of Booster Gold and Grey Legion, a TV series version of The Adjustment Bureau, and a time travel drama, among others.

One of my favorite all-time novels!! I hope SyFy doesn't fuck it up! Happy times!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon to SyFy!!!!!!11!!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I guess we'll see if Syfy has the folks setup to succeed like with BG. I have doubts, because they really don't have any money, and BG wasn't made during a recession. Good luck though! TV needs more good fantasy drama.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I loved Battlestar! I also enjoyed Caprica, because the chick was way super hot! :D

I'm actually more excited about Showtime's upcoming series of King's Under the Dome, which was a fabulous (BIG!) novel. Yay cable drama series! :D :):):):)
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fuck, I didn't know that was coming either. Sure seems to be a big interest to adapt his stuff lately, not that I'm complaining!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, 'Dome has been planned since last fall I believe. It isn't on the Showtime site yet, so I am guessing it is just in the early "green-lit" stage still.
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Sci-Fi (fuck the y's) fucks everything up.. this was one of my favorite books by him so it'll be hard to match the visions in my head as is. This isn't some celebrity ghost encounter bullshit.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Holy shit! I remember reading this book in the sixth grade. This will be great if they do it in one solid season as an event a la Band of Brothers.
Fuck Michigan!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I believe he wrote that novel for his daughter. All his other shit would scar her mind I believe.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I read Night Shift while in.. Don't even know now.. 6th grade maybe? I turned out fine! I remember bringing it to school and the teacher was fairly concerned with my choice of reading material for some reason.

My mom was a big fan. I think Cujo was the last thing of his I read. Maybe Pet Sematary but it's been so long so maybe not. I never really could get into any of his other stuff after that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--