Playing .AVI files from a DVD

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Playing .AVI files from a DVD

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Much in the same way that your car stereo can play a CD loaded with .MP3s is it possible to file a DVD with .AVI files and watch them on your DVD player?

The question came up today and I didn't know the answer. I plan on testing it out tonight. I don't believe my DVD player would actually do this so I am going to try it with my PS3.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Playing .AVI files from a DVD

Post by miir »

It depends if your DVD player supports it.
All midrange DVD players should support AVI, DIVX, etc playback. Even some cheap-ass players will. I bought a $20 DVD player last year that does divx playback.

You can toss a DVD with AVIs in your PS3 and it will play fine... or you can use a USB drive.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Thanks Miir! I appreciate the quick response.

Next question then is for Fair as we both use DVDFab. When I rip a movie I send it to file and then watch it using VLC and that works great. How can I convert some of these movies to .avi files? Can we do that with DVDFab? I'm still at work so I can't test it right now.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

My blue ray player does, from DVD, USB or from anything it sees advertised on the LAN for that matter.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Thanks Miir! I appreciate the quick response.

Next question then is for Fair as we both use DVDFab. When I rip a movie I send it to file and then watch it using VLC and that works great. How can I convert some of these movies to .avi files? Can we do that with DVDFab? I'm still at work so I can't test it right now.
http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-ripper/how-to ... ripper.htm

That's what I found based on a Google search. I haven't tried it myself. I stream everything from my PC to various sources in the house and beyond, so .avi is not a requirement. Let me know how it goes!