Support, Discussion, Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Canelek »

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... mer_TF101/

Just got this in today. First impressions...

Fairly light. Comparable with the iPad2, although I have had limited exposure (my brother and Mom have them). Solid build, although back is plastic. Still, really solid. Great glass and the resolution is tight on the 10" screen. This is my first Android device, but updates, organization, web browsing and ease of use settings seem good.

A free year of MyCloud is pretty cool in thoery--I have not messed with it yet. Web browser seems OK enough. Flash is a plus. Speedy over the WiFi. RDP feature included, so it says. I'll update when I DL the PC client. I had no issues connecting to my network (Win7-based) to browse and play music/vidoes. I had no sound in some videos--likely a codec issue--more to come in that regard. I also need to test Netflix app.

Other apps....not much going on there yet, but I do know that Android is well behind. Infact, their lack of universal apps, like even Facebook, are not ported for Eee yet. Odd at this stage, but I figure that will correct itself.

Stereo sound is actually quite good, but the volume is lacking, of course. One cannot expect much in this regard. Still better than Apple mono. Really a wash, but I mention it anyway.

Why, you ask? Well, I wanted to try something different. I love my iPhone4, and was considering a iPad2....However, the 349.00 price of the Eee was good enough for me, not to mention I have been a huge fan of ASUS since their only gig was making badass motherboards. I am not a mega-gadget-consumer, but I do love me some gadgets. Granted, I should have just not gotten anything, due to the enormous amount of money that I am putting into my house... Then again, I can always go box-wine and bulk food from Costco, AMIRITE? :D

Oh, and although there is a 150.00 keyboard+battery+dock available to transform this into a true netbook, I opted for just the touchpad for now.

ASUS 4 LYF, yo.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: ASUS Eee Pad Transformer

Post by Canelek »

Check that. Not RDP, but remote control. It works well.
en kærlighed småkager
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

I've been debating this one versus the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The lack of apps has me favoring the Tab a bit despite that its $100 more. Does it have a Kindle app?
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Kindle is Pre-installed, and works well. Hopefully the app market gets better, but I don't think this limits the device. The ability to add a micro SD card is +. Going to grab a new media player to see if I can clear up codec issues with streaming some video formats from pc.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Here's a good community with Must Have App stickies and random information. Helpful!

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/forum.php

So far, the damn thing is an absolute steal at $350(at least on amazon).
en kærlighed småkager