Apple iOS 5

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Apple iOS 5

Post by Winnow »

I bought a developers account and installed the iOS5 beta on my iPhone 4 to try it out.

A few things I've noticed

-This really is PC Free. After iOS 5 is installed, it's all wireless if you want it to be. Of course, I had to download iTunes 10.5 to sync up my backed up iPhone info and I installed iOS 5 using the xCode developer app. The new initial user/phone setup is sleek. A couple questions, mostly getting your Wifi password, and a few other easy to set things, and you're all good to go. It asked you if you want to sync up using the cloud, iTunes or not at all when you first start the OS. For a new user, there's no need to touch iTunes or a Mac or PC if you don't want. Having WiFi would be a very good idea though!

-iCloud is turned on by default (you have option to turn off during setup) and backed up my stuff to the cloud (I have no idea how quick because it's done in the background) I tested out some iCloud stuff. Bought an app on my iMac and saw it available to be downloaded from iCloud on my iPhone right away. iCloud appears to be as simple as it was made out to be in the presentation.

-the new notifications system rocks. I know Android has had this feature but I've used Android's and Apples looks and feels smoother. This may be playing catch up to Android but it's very nice. Glad it's finally part of the main OS. Also, the new lock screen works as advertised. I received a Yahoo IM and saw it on my lock screen. Instead of swiping the normal unlock at the bottom of the phone, you swipe the icon of the notification and it opens the phone to that App and message. Again, not a new idea but it works very well and looks great.

If you haven't seen, iOS 5 is already jailbroken and someone (a 14 year old kid in Italy) has already released a wiget for the notification which allows you easy access to some important settings.

ImageImage

You can remove, and I did, the weather and stock widgets to remove clutter.

For the lock screen you can choose, per app, if you want the messages to show on the lock screen for privacy. Options for notification center and lock screen are separate for each app. You can choose 1, 5 or 10 messages to show per app.

-reminders app is pretty straight forward. I set a location note to remind me to go to Del Taco as soon as I leave the perimeter of my home to test it out!

-OS wide dictionary is nice too.

-new camera stuff works well. Easy to crop, get rid of red-eye etc right after taking picture or later. Another long overdue addition is using the volume buttons to snap pictures.

iOS 5 feels rock solid. I know there's plenty of bugs but this is something that could be released within a month. I think the only reason they're waiting until the Fall is to release it with a new iPhone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple iOS 5

Post by Winnow »

First the good news for Android. Android on crack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUwqxHpXMY

That "cracks" me up!

...and then the more sobering news for anyone still using Android:
Android’s market share may tower over the iPhone’s, but that doesn’t mean Google’s mobile operating system is invincible. In fact, Android’s smart phone market share recently declined, leading one analyst to believe that Android will lose even more market share once the iPhone 5 hits stores.

This is the first sequential market share loss Android has ever suffered, “in any region of the world,” Business Insider notes. The data originally comes from a note by Needham’s Charlie Wolf, who stated that during Q1, 2011, Android’s mighty market share dropped from 52.4 percent to 49.5 percent, while Apple’s share of the smart phone market rose to 29.5 percent. And what’s more, according to Wolf, “this is just the beginning.” As reported by Business Insider:
“In our opinion, this is just the beginning of Android’s share loss in the U.S.,” Wolf writes. “The migration of subscribers to the iPhone on the Verizon network should accelerate this fall when Apple coordinates the launch of iPhone 5 on the GSM and CDMA networks. The iPhone could also launch on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks.”
iOS 5 is sweet and if Apple decides to pump out a suped up i5 phone in September, it should convince a few more people to try it out. Everyone and their mother pumps out Android phones. It's the only alternative besides .0000001% market share Windows Mobile 7. It's hard to beat a combination of quality hardware, quality software, reliable updates, combined with iOS 5's shoring up of the few things Android did better. Add that package to a 4" quad core iPhone 5 and it's lights out for Android if compared head to head, ignoring pricing for Euros.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple iOS 5

Post by Winnow »

More news for Android phones:
Apple was granted the holy grail of smartphone patents yesterday: a patent on touch screens.

Thats like owning a patent on water in Africa.

Apple was finally granted US patent number 7966578 nearly three years after filing for it. They've been awarded control over:
[a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display.
If you read that as I did, Apple now has full ownership of the "capacitive multitouch interface," otherwise known as "the input method every smartphone manufacturer worth a damn uses."
Apple essentially can now sue the pants off all its competitors, which is everyone else in the mobile computing industry. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Nokia are all at Apple's mercy. The large settlement that Apple forked over to Nokia to license certain mobile technologies is going to look like a pitance compared to what Apple will be able to do.

In a worst case scenario Apple could eliminate capacitive touch screens from all their competitors phones, creating a shocking monopoly in the realm of touch interfaces. Or they could license out the technology, and make money off of every phone their competitors sell, and charge a premium at that.

Money may not grow on trees, but with this new patent Apple will likely run out of the trees necessary to print money before this well dries up.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/230892/a ... k.rss_news

It's not all bad news for Apple competitors. Here's the crack Android video from my previous post in case you missed it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUwqxHpXMY