God of War 3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

God of War 3

Post by Funkmasterr »

Did a half ass search and didn't see a thread on this yet.

I got the demo last night and played through it, CAN'T WAIT! There are a ton of new moves that make combat even more bad ass than it already was, everything flows well and the graphics are kick ass. This is going to be THE game for the PS3 next year!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: God of War 3

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I got the demo last night and played through it, CAN'T WAIT! There are a ton of new moves that make combat even more bad ass than it already was, everything flows well and the graphics are kick ass. This is going to be THE game for the PS3 next year!
I guess I will be missing out then on THE game for the PS3 this year! The reviews are coming out and while they are good reviews I don't like that fact that the gameplay is only about 10 hours. And no multiplayer so once you're done that's pretty much it. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's $30 (or under!) but I definitely don't see this as a day one purchase.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed in the length too (that's what she said).. Especially considering they said just a few months ago that it was going to be 20+ hours long.

However, I've probably played through the first game more than 15 times and several times through the second as well, so even at 10 hours I know I'll get my money worth out of this one. Definitely still a day one purchase for me.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I thought the collection was a great value at 40% for 2 10 hour games. I'm going to wait for the inevitable Greatest Hits release of God of War 3 before taking the plunge.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

10 hours? That's like the first cut scene of FFXIII!

wait...FFXIII is just one long cut scene!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm playing through part 1 right now. I'm in the desert, no
idea how far into the game that is. I may actually play through part 2 prior to 3 as well, even though I have release day delivery.

I sure have played a shitliad of action games lately. I hope it doesn't dull the GoW3 experiance for me. It looks like a beautiful game. I'm perfectly fine with it being 10ish hours. Like I said in the Dante's Inferno thread, I couldn't imagine playing one of these types of games for 20+ hours.

Gameplay is entirely unchanged right down to fixed camera views and variable framerates, which is a tad dissappointing to read about. I'm hoping that all that is blended into the game in such a way that I will not notice or care.

Should I play GoW2 first?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

You still have a ways to go in God of War 1. I'd say you're probable 40-50% of the way through probably.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:You still have a ways to go in God of War 1. I'd say you're probable 40-50% of the way through probably.
Yeah about that. You are about to get to the temple of pandora dungeon/thing which makes up for about half of the game on it's own.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

The puzzly mario shit in the last one really put me off. I am going to wait on this one til it hits the bins.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Thanks. I appreciate the heads up. It helps me plan out my gaming.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Jice Virago wrote:The puzzly mario shit in the last one really put me off. I am going to wait on this one til it hits the bins.
First party PS3 titles take a long fucking time to 'hit the bins'.
Seems like 12-18 months before they even have a chance to go Greatest Hits.

Heavenly Sword is still a full priced game.
It was 18 months before Uncharted and Grand Tourismo Prologue had their price drops.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Went to the midnight release and then played this for a couple of hours last night... Holy shit! God of War definitely showed all the games like it that have came out recently who daddy is, once again :)

Can't say a whole lot yet, but the opening sequence is fucking amazing! The graphics are great, controls and everything else you would expect are great so far!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The graphics are amazing. The beginnimg sequence is almost sensory overload. Everything is is exactley like the previous 2 GoW games. I am floored by the graphics, the gameplay is "been there, done that". Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the experiance. I was jyst hoping something new and different would be thrown in to spice things up. I do like the improved interface for qtes though. Frames the action better and I haven't missed one yet. Much more intuitive.

Btw, my wife watched me play a bit and said something like "this looks a lot like Dante's Inferno". Don't worry, I educated her! Still, it was kind of funny!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The graphics are amazing. The beginnimg sequence is almost sensory overload. Everything is is exactley like the previous 2 GoW games. I am floored by the graphics, the gameplay is "been there, done that". Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the experiance. I was jyst hoping something new and different would be thrown in to spice things up. I do like the improved interface for qtes though. Frames the action better and I haven't missed one yet. Much more intuitive.

Btw, my wife watched me play a bit and said something like "this looks a lot like Dante's Inferno". Don't worry, I educated her! Still, it was kind of funny!
Yeah, I am punishing myself and playing through on hard my first time through so my progress has been slow, but I've killed a handful of gods already :) The something new you are looking for is there, imo, and it's in the moves really (the dash move, the grab and run with enemy in hand move, etc). They have added several moves that change how you deal with combat quite a bit. Granted you don't HAVE to use them, but if you want to play through on the harder difficulties you'll have to.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

As I've said before, I'm playing through the first one atm. I fired up GoW3 and the first group of enemies were actually the exact same creatures I'm fighting over and over again in the first one, just with high rez graphics. They even have the same attacks and animations. The second set had the same archers that also have the exact same abilities and animations. At this point, I was thinking "seriously?". It's kind of cheapening the experiance. I'm sure I'll get more variety the further I get in.

I decided to finish 1 and 2 before jumping back into 3. No reason not to really. It's actually a rare opportunity to play a series through from start to current.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've been waiting to find the 1 and 2 collection for $20 before I bother. It's only $30 now but I am cheap and not really that interested in the games overall. I'm sure Dante's Inferno was better!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:First party PS3 titles take a long fucking time to 'hit the bins'.
Seems like 12-18 months before they even have a chance to go Greatest Hits.

Heavenly Sword is still a full priced game.
Ninja Theory has told CVG that it made no money from Heavenly Sword - one of the biggest PS3 exclusives released in the launch era of the console.

"It's difficult. Heavenly Sword came out pretty early on the PS3, and we sold, I think, a million and a half copies, and that's still not enough as an independent studio to break even," said co-founder Tameem Antoniades.

"The publisher potentially breaks even at that point, but the developers don't," he added, and it's for this reason that the developer chose to go multi-platform with its latest upcoming quest, Enslaved.

"It's just that when so many people have Xbox - I mean over half the market or more has Xbox 360s - why limit yourself to one platform?" commented Antoniades.
Maybe that's why it's still full price!

I like their attitude though. Console exclusive titles are lame! Glad to see another developer going multi-platform.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Finished this the other night. I played through on hard the first time through which was probably a bad plan cause I ended up kicking it down to easy for the end boss, which made him a tad too easy. I'll definitely play through again on titan sometime after I finish with Final Fantasy though.

Awesome game! Graphics, story, action, etc - I feel like it definitely kicked everything up a notch and at no point was I bored or disappointed.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:I've been waiting to find the 1 and 2 collection for $20 before I bother. It's only $30 now but I am cheap and not really that interested in the games overall. I'm sure Dante's Inferno was better!
Dante's Inferno isn't better, but Bayonetta sure was.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My theory on why it takes longer for PS3 titles to hit the cheapie bin is that it takes them longer to sell the quanaties that the 360 does. Then again, Wii games sell buttloads and they seem to be on sale even less.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I've been waiting to find the 1 and 2 collection for $20 before I bother. It's only $30 now but I am cheap and not really that interested in the games overall. I'm sure Dante's Inferno was better!
Dante's Inferno isn't better, but Bayonetta sure was.
I'll pass. Button mashy using sex to sell an inferior game. I played the demo and I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I finished this the other day. Yay another platinum! It was alright but I'm not sure I'd give it a 10/10 like some reviews. Mainly it's due to what annoyed me about the first two. Firstly there is the cut scenes, which is all of them (even the credits), that you can not skip. This is really dumb especially if you're replaying it again. It's just arrogant on the part of the developers "These cut scenes are so fucking awesome why would anyone even think about wanting to skip them?". Secondly the camera angles at times are frustrating due to enemies or items or whatever being behind the camera. On the opposite spectrum I realize they were trying to give a sense of scale but at times I found the camera to be zoomed out too far. This is just a personal preference and some people probably didn't notice or care.

I do like how they did the QTEs compared to the first two since you can tell which button to push without really looking at it just based on its screen position. The right side for O gets a bit cluttered when you get combos going though and sometimes enemies with the O above their heads would confuse me if they moved over to that position. Having said that I think they went overboard on some of them. Especially ones where you have to spam the O button.

I'm not saying it's a bad game and I'd probably give it a 8.5. Perhaps it's just because I played them all in a relatively short time and got a bit burned out. Personally I still think it's only worthy of a rental at full price unless you really love the series and don't want to wait until it's $35 or under. I think I finished in around the 10 hour mark I don't remember exactly.

--
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Aslanna wrote:I finished this the other day. Yay another platinum! It was alright but I'm not sure I'd give it a 10/10 like some reviews. Mainly it's due to what annoyed me about the first two. Firstly there is the cut scenes, which is all of them (even the credits), that you can not skip. This is really dumb especially if you're replaying it again. It's just arrogant on the part of the developers "These cut scenes are so fucking awesome why would anyone even think about wanting to skip them?". Secondly the camera angles at times are frustrating due to enemies or items or whatever being behind the camera. On the opposite spectrum I realize they were trying to give a sense of scale but at times I found the camera to be zoomed out too far. This is just a personal preference and some people probably didn't notice or care.
If my none of the "cut scenes" in my game were pre-rendered and looked as amazing as GoW3's do, I would force people to watch them too! Kudos to Sony/GoW3 team for making an amazing game that actually uses some of the PS3's power.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Forcing you to watch them once is more than sufficient. You can force me to watch them again but it will just mean I think your game sucks more than it probably does.

--