Support, Discussion, Reviews
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

SATA -> IDE Cable

Post by Funkmasterr »

So, I'm trying to save money for my Japan trip amongst other things and don't want to drop the money for a external HD right now. I also don't want to buy a enclosure, because they cost like half what a external would so at that point I'd just go with the new HD :)

My other option, which I have the question about, is hooking up my old HD with a SATA->IDE converter cable. I started looking at them on newegg and they all seemed to get pretty poor reviews saying they didn't work. Anyone here have experience with these? Is this an issue I can expect with these cables in general? If not, would there be any reason why I wouldn't want to keep my HD hooked up via one of these long term (like, should I just use it to connect the HD and get the shit off).

I just don't want to take any unnecessary risks, as the HD I'm wanting to connect is where all my music/movies/etc is.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: SATA -> IDE Cable

Post by miir »

A basic drive enclosure shouldn't cost you more than $20
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

for 10-15 bucks you can get a SATA/IDE to usb + power adapter. Keep one in my bag all the time = all you need is a wall plug and a usb port.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

pyrella wrote:for 10-15 bucks you can get a SATA/IDE to usb + power adapter. Keep one in my bag all the time = all you need is a wall plug and a usb port.
Same here, never leave home without it. Best $20 I ever spent and it works 100% of the time.