Little Big Planet

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Little Big Planet

Post by Winnow »

There doesn't appear to be a thread for this game yet.

Creating a thread to post the manual:

http://fp.scea.com/Content/games/BCUS-9 ... manual.pdf

Kotaku linked it. If it goes down, I saved it to my HD just in case and can re-up it.

Waikiki
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: FeistyPea
PSN ID: clmolnar

Re: Little Big Planet

Post by Waikiki »

It looks like it's gone already. Can you put it up?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here you go:

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Just watched several videos of this on GameSpot.... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198106.html

What the fuck? This is lame as hell.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

You know, I kept hearing about how great this game was going to be.. I read the article in Game Informer in last month's issue.. And not only was I not impressed, but I can't say I'm real sure what exactly the point of the game is. lol..

I'd really like to know what it is that I'm missing that everyone is so hyped about.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Point of the game?

It's a platform game. Probably the best-looking, most customizable platformer with arguably the greatest potential for collaborative development of any platform game ever created. You may have heard of such titles as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Brothers/World/Galaxy, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc... Same point as any of those, only with what is said to be an extremely robust creation engine for making new levels and worlds and such, and the ability to share all of those created levels with the PS3 community at large.

It has the potential to be a pretty killer game, and is the only thing in the hopper that makes me think I might need a PS3.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Point of the game?

It's a platform game. Probably the best-looking, most customizable platformer with arguably the greatest potential for collaborative development of any platform game ever created. You may have heard of such titles as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Brothers/World/Galaxy, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc... Same point as any of those, only with what is said to be an extremely robust creation engine for making new levels and worlds and such, and the ability to share all of those created levels with the PS3 community at large.

It has the potential to be a pretty killer game, and is the only thing in the hopper that makes me think I might need a PS3.
Hmm. I guess maybe after release there will be something that will impress me?

Buying a console for one game is insanity, sir!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Buying a console for one game is precisely one game more than I bought my 360 for, and that turned out pretty well.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Buying a console for one game is precisely one game more than I bought my 360 for, and that turned out pretty well.
:lol:

You just bought a 360 because you thought it would look really cool on the shelf?

Edit: I mean, I know it's sexy and all, but that's crazy!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

What killer app was there at the 360's release? I can't think of a single game that I bought in the first year of owning my 360 that I have played in more than a year. There wasn't a single game already released for the 360, at the time of my purchase, that inspired me to buy the console.

If LBP ends up being something that gets tens (hundreds?) of thousands of users creating content for it, and it's as amazing as the buzz might have you believe, I don't think it's a bad call to pick up a PS3 at all.

Please note that in the console wars, I'm an agnostic who has owned a 360 for a few years and a Wii for 18 months probably. I think it's silly to get your panties in a bunch over which one sold more units this month, or which one is eventually going to win. Buy all of them, and play whichever one has the coolest game released this week. If you can't afford to buy all of them, log off of VV and go put some hours in at a second job until you can afford them all.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:What killer app was there at the 360's release? I can't think of a single game that I bought in the first year of owning my 360 that I have played in more than a year. There wasn't a single game already released for the 360, at the time of my purchase, that inspired me to buy the console.

If LBP ends up being something that gets tens (hundreds?) of thousands of users creating content for it, and it's as amazing as the buzz might have you believe, I don't think it's a bad call to pick up a PS3 at all.

Please note that in the console wars, I'm an agnostic who has owned a 360 for a few years and a Wii for 18 months probably. I think it's silly to get your panties in a bunch over which one sold more units this month, or which one is eventually going to win. Buy all of them, and play whichever one has the coolest game released this week. If you can't afford to buy all of them, log off of VV and go put some hours in at a second job until you can afford them all.
There weren't any release games for the 360 I wanted either, which is why I didn't buy one at release :) I bought it when there were a few games that interested me.

The game could end up being cool, but it's just going to take more than that for me to drop the money (I always have to have the best everything, so I would want the most expensive one which is what, $500?).

As far as the console wars thing, that has nothing to do with my comments about this game. It just hasn't got my attention. I own a Wii as well, but as far as any cross platform games go - I will NEVER play them on anything other than the 360. I love xbox live, I am an achievement whore, and so it just won't ever happen.

There are a few PS3 exclusives down the road that I might want to try, but there are so few of them (compared to my 40+ 360 games) that I'd rather just try them at a friends house. I'm sure someone I know will have this and I'll give it a shot at some point, though.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

LBP would be a total system-seller to me if I had that kind of money this close to the holidays.

I'd say that this should be THE pack-in with PS3 by Q2 2009 if that didn't mean ANOTHER goddamn console sku. I've never wanted a PS3 so bad.

Some good in-game footage of the beta here if you can bear to look at the 1up nerds. Footage of several really creative levels around the 9 min 30 sec mark
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Just as an update since no one else has posted one yet.. Friend of mine got this game over the weekend and I gotta admit after playing it, it's a freakin sweet little game.. There is so much that can be done from creating your own little sack guy to creating random objects and giving them the power to fly.. My friend created his own little rocket ship from scratch and got it to fly.. The physics in the game are amazing.. Its one game I can honestly say I wish they made for 360..
Timmah.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I picked LBP up today at Best Buy. Don't knwo when I'll get a chance to play it but I figure with all the levels that will be created, I'll enjoy a few of them at the very least.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Played it some.

Positives:

Has the initial "cool/cute" factor.

Your little sack is cute, can make expressions, move around their arms etc.

The controls work well and are easy to get comfortable with while following the intro tutorial/narration.

UI is well done

If you like platformes, you'll like this game.

Negatives:

This game is only 720P. wtf? It forces my 1080P into non native 720P mode. Pretty lame.

You have to complete the first three Story levels before you can go to your moon to make your own levels or visit other people's levels. That's not really a negative but when you are able to visit other people's levels, the way they are organized is confusing at best.

There are plenty of bad levels. I haven't played around enough to see the good ones yet. eventually the ratings system will sort them out a bit.

When I first loaded the game, I had to download patch 1.02 for the game (50ish MB). 10 minutes into the game I got booted and had to download version 1.03 of the game. (50ish mb) Hopefully that will settle down.

Couldn't connect to online once and couldn't load a player level once.

Overall:

Too early to tell if it will lose its appeal but seems to be a great game to jum into and play a level or two when you feel like it. No idea on level building etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I played this again for a bit.. I'm still not sure if I can really get into it or not. I like platformers but there's something about LBP that just doesn't work for me. I think it's that sacky moves too slow for my liking... Or something.

Make sure to get the free pumpkin head addon from the Sony store if you don't have it already. It will be gone in a week!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--