Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Post by Funkmasterr »

Picked this up last night and played the first three or four hours. Figured I would give my initial impressions of the game!

Visuals - This game looks great, especially for a JRPG. The environments are very detailed and look great, the actual cut scenes are what you would expect of Square, great! There was one point I think where there were tons of mobs running around on the screen and I had the camera kinda panned out in a lush forest and the game chugged a tiny bit, but that's really the only issue so far.

Gameplay
- Controls are good. I had to "invert" the camera controls because by default it controls like what I would normally call inverted, this could likely be due to me playing so many damn FPS games over the past few years and being used to their controls. The battle system in this game has a ton of depth to it and is very fun.

It is similar to the last games if you have played them with a few tweaks and additions, but if you haven't played the previous games: it is a action RPG so you run around freely, can quickly switch between characters, can chain combos together with the other characters, perform crazy special attacks, try to build up combos for bonuses, and more. The one new feature is the "blindside" feature, which allows you to turn the tables on enemies, I will explain it the best I can :)

You can tap the b button as a enemy is about to attack you, and you will slip behind them and get a chance to do major damage (all crits), many enemies can counter a blindside, so for these guys you need to wait until RIGHT before they are about to attack before you blindside. You can also use the blindside if you are a long distance away from the enemy, and it will jump you close to the enemy, surprising them. You can also perform counter attacks to blindsides, and you can counter a counter (rofl).

There is so much more that I haven't got to as well. This game in some aspects is very similar to some of the MMO's, there are resource nodes that spawn and respawn in various points. You can raise up skills in things like harvesting, smithing, mining, etc and you can use the materials you make to make items and upgrades for weapons, etc.

There are also battle trophies (100 for each character) that you get for pulling off various feats in battle, and they add a ton of fun to the game.

You can really customize how the party members you aren't controlling act in battle too, which is awesome. There are three different "class" type things, you can choose which of these each member is (and can change it at any time). Each of these has it's own benefits like raising attack or defense, plus it's own line of special moves. On top of this you choose whether the player will be aggressive, passive, conserve MP, etc.

Sound - Sound, as far as the music goes is good. The battle music is pretty typical of a JRPG, but it hasn't gotten on my nerves yet and I've read that it switches up so hopefully that doesn't happen. The voice acting isn't great, but it's not terrible. The voices are fine, but what I think is the problem I have with it is the typical RPG voice acting issue; a lot of it is way overdone and too dramatic and makes it sound corny. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but could get annoying because from what I've read, some of the cutscenes in this game last 30+ minutes, yes, I said 30 minutes.

Overall - It's too early for me to say for sure, but so far I love this game. The depth, awesome graphics and good controls had me hooked pretty much right away. If things don't take a turn for the worse, I would give this game 9/10 for sure.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Post by Winnow »

Cool.

I want to check this out. I accidentally downloaded the Japanese version of this game (region locked) so will have to grab it again.

Looks like fun if you like the JRPGs
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm planning on buying the last couple of months worth of RPGs as they drop in price. This is one of them on my mental list.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'm planning on buying the last couple of months worth of RPGs as they drop in price. This is one of them on my mental list.
I had to get this one right away :)

I am in a similar situation with the others though. Once the last few rpg's that have been out get cheap, I'll probably pick them up.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The cheapest I've seen the others is Infinite Undiscovery for 49$ cdn, Last Remnant is usually 59$ new.

I'm going to get Star Ocean as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

just got this game tonight, will dig into it tomorrow night after work.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seems ok so far. How do you get back to the options screen after first starting the game? Do you have to quit the game? I hit all the buttons and couldn't get the options back.

Neeed to switch the camera right/left controls.

Game looks polished but I don't like the audio. Voice acting bad, sound effects bad, battle music bad (so far). Rest seems good.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Seems ok so far. How do you get back to the options screen after first starting the game? Do you have to quit the game? I hit all the buttons and couldn't get the options back.

Neeed to switch the camera right/left controls.

Game looks polished but I don't like the audio. Voice acting bad, sound effects bad, battle music bad (so far). Rest seems good.
If you hit the Y button, it will bring up your menu, and then under the settings there are the controller settings.

I'm about ten hours in now and I'm working on a pretty cool dungeon. I don't even notice the overacting in the sound anymore because I've been so engrossed in the game. Really having fun with this one.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I bought this today and am enjoying it immensely. If you take the storyline for what it is (a JRPG) you can appreciate the rest of the game, including the combat system, which is a hell of a lot of fun.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Man some of the voice acting is so bad that it's actually detracting from the experience of the game...
Some of the characters are so flat and without life that I get annoyed every time I see them come on screen.

I had a hard time sympathizing with any of the characters however at approx 10-15 hours in the story is picking up and it's getting a lot better.

I hated the camera and wasn't a fan of the combat for the first little while however having gotten used to both, I've changed my mind about the combat at least.

The camera is just wierd and doesn't re-adjust at all to give you a better view of what's going on. I've gotten into a lot of Surprise attacks because of it.

My views of combat might be tainted because I have literally ended playing Tales of Vesperia for ~75 hours. I beat that with Star Ocean sitting on my coffee table. All in all thought after about 2-3 hours of play, I really enjoy the system Tri-Ace put into this game. It works and there's a ton of customizability to it.

For all the apparent griping however, I am enjoying this game quite a bit. Maybe not as much as I enjoyed Vesperia but it's still a great game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Gave this a try. I wasn't really able to get into it at all. The moving I found to be cumbersome. The combat system I'm also not a fan of. And that was just in the battle simulator thingie and didn't make it past that. There's a point in there where you can bypass their counter to your blindside but I was never able to achieve that. Tried it twice but 'died' both times. How does that happen in a simulator! So exited out of that and just went into the game and made it to where you crash on the planet and figured I had enough.

I think maybe I've just grown out of RPG games in general. Walk around.. Examine that.. Take that item.. Talk to that person.. Explore that area.. Kill that baddie. Repeat bajillion times. All just seems a bit pointless after awhile.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Animalor wrote:Man some of the voice acting is so bad that it's actually detracting from the experience of the game...
Some of the characters are so flat and without life that I get annoyed every time I see them come on screen.

I am going to toss Lymel out the nearest airlock. Whoever thought it was cute to put 'kay on the end of every sentence needs to be shot.
With that said, I'm still enjoying the game, and I'm about 10 hours in. I think I'm wrapping up the Cardionon area, and boy, was that place long.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Gave this a try. I wasn't really able to get into it at all.
I hope you only downloaded the first DVD then!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not sure what you're talking about!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kaldaur wrote:
Animalor wrote:Man some of the voice acting is so bad that it's actually detracting from the experience of the game...

I am going to toss Lymel out the nearest airlock. Whoever thought it was cute to put 'kay on the end of every sentence needs to be shot.
With that said, I'm still enjoying the game, and I'm about 10 hours in. I think I'm wrapping up the Cardionon area, and boy, was that place long.
Oh I'm with you, she annoyed me the first time she talked. Really none of the other acting bothers me besides her.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Tri-Ace and Square-Enix comitted the cardinal sin of multi-disk games with this one.

You have the option to go completionist and back-track through most of the game to gather components and stuff to create items, coplete sidequests etc..

The problem is that the first 3 planets are on disk 2 and the last 2 areas are on disk 3. The Item Creator is also only on Disk 3.

This means depending on where you go, you'll be swapping out those disks fairly often. For shame!

As a side note, I finished the main story. This one overall comes in at a personal #3 for me overall behind Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Mostly due to the dislikable cast and the weak first 10 hours of the story.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I had a hard time sympathizing with any of the characters however at approx 10-15 hours in the story is picking up and it's getting a lot better.

I hated the camera and wasn't a fan of the combat for the first little while however having gotten used to both, I've changed my mind about the combat at least.

The camera is just wierd and doesn't re-adjust at all to give you a better view of what's going on. I've gotten into a lot of Surprise attacks because of it.

My views of combat might be tainted because I have literally ended playing Tales of Vesperia for ~75 hours. I beat that with Star Ocean sitting on my coffee table. All in all thought after about 2-3 hours of play, I really enjoy the system Tri-Ace put into this game. It works and there's a ton of customizability to it.

For all the apparent griping however, I am enjoying this game quite a bit. Maybe not as much as I enjoyed Vesperia but it's still a great game.
i want to hit lymel in the face with a claw hammer. IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU.......EDGE

fuck you, bitch.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Voice acting has continually let me down in JRPGs. They go for stereotypes and just leave me agitated. I'm seriously considering going with subtitles in the future, because when your acting detracts from the overall story experience, players stop having fun because the whole point of these games are to complete the story and help the characters grow. When you don't like the characters, it's hard to get motivated to play.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the guild for this game per request. It's 300+ pages and 182mb. It's very well done.

Like Aslanna, I never got out of the simulator with the combat in this game.

From the guide, it looks like a huge game with lots of stuff to do and collect but I can't get into the combat.