Post by Avestan »

wasn't my choice :)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Where to go?

Post by Fash »

Where do I go to level as a 59 DK? All I do is WSG, need to get a few more levels...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Go to Hellsfire pen and upgrade yer gear really fast. I would have said wait till 60 to take advantage of the great exp but they upped that to level 70 now so no sense in waiting.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Go to Hellsfire pen and upgrade yer gear really fast. I would have said wait till 60 to take advantage of the great exp but they upped that to level 70 now so no sense in waiting.
Thanks. Hit 60 tonight in Hellsfire after having some fun in Arathi Basin.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'm still only level 59. =( Real life takes up so much time, and I'll probably be cancelling my wow account soon,

because...

wow is too narrow.

My friend and I had a conversation about mmo's and their many faces recently. We disagreed and agreed on a lot of different topics, but there's something in particular that had been on my mind for quite some time that I'd never been able to voice until we chatted.

In WoW, you might want to conquer raid bosses, or you might want to solo and quest all day, or you might want to pvp / bg. For any of the three, gear is important. Gear gear gear loot. I wondered for a while why people get so bent out of shape over the greed / need aspect of looting... about how some people "need" more than they actually need. But as I progress higher in levels (and I'm not even 80 yet... o boy), it's apparent that all that matters is gear. People are drooling in anticipation midway through a boss fight on the off chance that an item they'll cherish drops. For me, I would drool over the idea of having better gear than any other warrior at my level, giving me some tangible advantage in pvp. But that's SUCH A BULLSHIT REASON to love an MMO, and that's why I don't see myself playing for very long.

In swig, SWG, Starwars Galaxies, you could spend all of your time and effort setting up a profession. If you were a trader of some sort, you'd save up for a booth, get your wares in order, and begin to build a reputation as a ______ vendor. You'd gain a reputation because people relied on you to help them do something that they couldn't have done themselves.

Or, you could be a politician, have a loyal bodyguard of actual people, and work out of the top story of a huge building, running a City.

Or, you could be a bounty hunter. You might have some insane gear, a ton of kills under your belt, and maybe, once in a while if you got a good jump, you could kill a jedi.

You could be a goddamned interior decorator. People had houses, chrissakes. The best of the best were sought after.

In SWG you could do so many different things, and be the BEST at any one of them, painting a picture of real life more than any other MMO has attempted to. In WoW, it's a melting pot of loot-crazed, button mashing suckers who are looking for the next fix to give their character one more stride... towards the next piece of loot.

Of course, a lot has changed in SWG over the years. What I described might no longer be accurate.

My friend told me that he would make money by going to a spot on a far-away planet that barely anybody ever traveled to. He would find these beasts in some remote nook of the planet and farm their hides. He said that this place was so unknown, so precious a secret of his that he would spend 5 hours farming and not see another person at all. Every time he returned to any number of Cities, he'd contact people whose businesses depended on these hides in some form. He became known as the hide gatherer, and many businesses flourished because of his help.

Fuck wow. Rant over. I want an MMO with a system set up that allows people to set themselves apart from other players through many different means. They could call it .... "second life." :)
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Play Eve Online if you want a player-driven game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Leonaerd wrote:I'm still only level 59. =( Real life takes up so much time, and I'll probably be cancelling my wow account soon
I will be cancelling mie as well. I just don't play anymore and have no reason to log in since I don't raid. I will likely play again in 2ish years when the next expansion is announced. My free time is very limited now, so I basically have the choice between Xbox and WoW, which is an easy choice. My best friend (and the guy who switched me from EQ to WoW all those years ago) just cancelled his account and it was the boost I required. I haven't logged in onto WoW in a month or two, but it's still hard to push the cancel button...
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I'm actually kind of upset that I hit 60 now.. in the battlegrounds now I'm at the bottom of the bracket, getting killed really quickly by level 69's. @#$%.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The main reason I am still playing WoW is because of the people in my guild. We have been together a pretty long time now (going on 4 years for most and 10+ for some). I tried to leave when Vanguard came out and when that game fell apart I switched over to Lotro. Lotro would have been the best but I didn't have my guild with me so I went back.

We have had some people leave the guild due to not getting the loot they wanted or get the progression they wanted. Some were outright pissed off and in a rage after we wiped our DKP (which was needed). It really does baffle me how much people are all about the gear. Don't get me wrong, the gear can be nice but is it so important that you would give up all your friends and jump guilds just to have a shot at an item that you'd most likely replace in a month anyhow?

So while there are a lot of people out there who are all about the loot, there are also a nice number of people who are there to succeed with their friends.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

You could be a goddamned interior decorator. People had houses, chrissakes. The best of the best were sought after.
"A place to call your own" is something I miss from EQ2. EQ2's room system was a major motivation for me. I loved collecting trophies and decorations for my room. It was fun to upgrade the floors, walls and ceilings, and make or buy new furniture.

I don't see Blizzard doing anything like that in the short term, as they really don't have to improve much to maintain their incredible subscriber level.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Leonaerd wrote:Fuck wow. Rant over. I want an MMO with a system set up that allows people to set themselves apart from other players through many different means. They could call it .... "second life." :)
I guess it all depends on how you play. I pretty much solo and quest through the game and the quests have been getting better and better over time. A lot of guys in my guild do 5-man instances and some do the 10-man's. I enjoy cooking in the game. I guess WOW's narrow compared to SWG but I never played the latter so what do I know. I just know that WOW still surprises me and i can play it even with lousy green gear.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

My friend has been trying to talk me into playing this damn game again for months, and after my girlfriend breaking up with me last weekend he was finally able to convince me in my vulnerable state :(

Playing a druid on Stormscale with a few RL friends - if anyone happens to be on that server by chance, let me know. Druids name is Dandello.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

We have to hear break-up details.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Bubba Grizz wrote:So while there are a lot of people out there who are all about the loot, there are also a nice number of people who are there to succeed with their friends.
I'd have quit long before if it hadn't been for guildies, I'm just not interested in "serious" raiding though and that's really all this expansion has to offer.

I'll likely be back for the next expansion, having fun in lotro still.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:We have to hear break-up details.
Together for 6 years, didn't see it coming, temporarily living with my parents who are losing their house, reminding myself that there are a fuckton of people out there in a lot worse shape than me. That about sums it up :?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Aabidano wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:So while there are a lot of people out there who are all about the loot, there are also a nice number of people who are there to succeed with their friends.
I'd have quit long before if it hadn't been for guildies, I'm just not interested in "serious" raiding though and that's really all this expansion has to offer.
I highly disagree with your statement about this expansion offering only serious raiding. This expansion, more than TBC, more than Vanilla wow, makes casual raiding and playing much easier. The easier raid content, the multiple zones with dailies that are fun/worth doing, the billions of places to get epic quality gear without having a serious raiding guild. It goes on. Could you explain what you thought made TBC or Vanilla better for casuals?
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Aardor wrote:
Aabidano wrote:
I highly disagree with your statement about this expansion offering only serious raiding. This expansion, more than TBC, more than Vanilla wow, makes casual raiding and playing much easier. The easier raid content, the multiple zones with dailies that are fun/worth doing, the billions of places to get epic quality gear without having a serious raiding guild. It goes on. Could you explain what you thought made TBC or Vanilla better for casuals?

QFT.

There's literally never been a better time to be a casual player. If you're meaning that you have to raid to get the best gear, yes that's true - however raids are super accessible (read: easy) unless you're going for the absolute hardmodes, you can clear a Naxx in like 2-3 hours tops, and nothing even forces you to stay for the whole thing as is. Hell, on Medivh there are sucessful Ulduar25 pugs quite frequently, not to mention Ulduar 10.

Unlike in previous expansions, where you were bottlenecked into doing one or two zones (Zul'Aman / Karazhan or ZG / AQ20) for significantly lower quality loot than actual raiders, this expansion really gives you the opportunity to raid the exact same content, get basically the exact same quality gear, without being in a raiding guild or dedicating a lot of time to raiding. Do you still have to do raids? Yes. You certainly can't get the best quality gear in 5 mans or solo, if that's what you're looking for. However the raids are so goddamn easy and fast (not like AQ40, MC, or BWL, which would take 12-16 hours to clear), it's not like you have to dedicate a whole lot to it.

I can't believe someone that played EVERQUEST things that Wrath isn't casual-friendly :p.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte