System Cycles

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

System Cycles

Post by Fairweather Pure »

There is a lot of discussion out there about how long this generation of systems will last. I think the average has been around 5 years? There's talk of this generation going 8-10 before the next generation hits the shelves.

What are your thoughts/feelings on this?

Hey. I have an opinion.

Let it last 10 years. I'm fine with that. I think the cycle is too fast. That's one of the main reasons I no longer really play anything on PC. Your totally awesome system can run top tired games for a whopping 2-3 years, then it's time to upgrade again. I think companies start to develope games almost totally on technology and gameplay suffers. Now, with a console, you have the same technoloy that is worked on for years. Developers get better and better with the system specs and the games get better and better. Graphically, the end cycle of systems have the best graphics. Compare a generation 1 to a generation 5 game on any system and you see some drastic differences!

For the SNES, Chrono Trigger was the last generation of games for that console. It was able to render 3D and had some amazing graphics for it's time. PS1 was released shortly afterwards (I was literally fighting the last boss in CT when my friend walked in with a new PS1 the day of release) and I was playing Ridge Racer and that motorcycle game where you hit each other with chains while my SNES gathered dust. As great as the SNES was, I don't feel it was a system that needed a 8-10 year life cycle. I think this generation of HD and online gaming would be a great place to start. The global economy is another reason to slow down for a bit IMO.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: System Cycles

Post by Sylvus »

Fairweather Pure wrote:and that motorcycle game where you hit each other with chains
Road Rash was kickass. That's one of the first console games I remember with actual songs for a soundtrack.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: System Cycles

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sylvus wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:and that motorcycle game where you hit each other with chains
Road Rash was kickass. That's one of the first console games I remember with actual songs for a soundtrack.
fuck yeah