Music that you hate

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Music that you hate

Post by Sueven »

I'll admit that I hate Bono and his pretentious hypocritical dick-waving, but I'm also not much of a fan of U2's music. They have a few songs I like, but even most of the 'classics' that so many people seem to consider brilliant pieces-- such as Where The Streets Have No Name, Beautiful Day, With or Without You-- strike me as arrogant, pretentious, overwrought crap.

I mean, they're a much better band than Nickelback, but I don't know which station I'd pick if those were my only two options.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sueven wrote:I'll admit that I hate Bono and his pretentious hypocritical dick-waving, but I'm also not much of a fan of U2's music. They have a few songs I like, but even most of the 'classics' that so many people seem to consider brilliant pieces-- such as Where The Streets Have No Name, Beautiful Day, With or Without You-- strike me as arrogant, pretentious, overwrought crap.

I mean, they're a much better band than Nickelback, but I don't know which station I'd pick if those were my only two options.
I'd rather live in silence for the rest of my life than be forced to listen to that bullshit.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Pop culture is taking a massive steaming stinky shit on the standards we have all held for music for so long, and it pisses me off.
Every generation makes this claim. It's no closer being true now than when my mother claimed the same thing about alternative rock in the early 90's, or my grandmother decrying pretty much everything from the 70's, or my great grandmother thinking Elvis was an untalented hack who was corrupting the youth.

Music today is absolutely no different than it has been through the ages. You either evolve with it, or listen to a radio station from the generation you cared about that dosen't play the new stuff you hate.

I love music. I don't keep comparing it all the time though. I just listen.
I've had this discussion with a few people recently and I disagree. I am going to use rap as an example, however this applies to other genres as well.

Since the start of rap, and all the way up through the early 00's there has always been at least a good number of people worth listening to, of course there is always poppy garbage, however everyone I have talked to that listens to rap and has for a while thinks most of the modern stuff now (I'm mostly talking new rappers within the last 2 years or so) is complete trash.

It's like the labels all want to make a "club song" that gets everyone dancing and shit, but there have been many songs like that in the past that are more than one shitty line repeated over and over for 3 minutes. I guess signing a bunch of basically shitty artists and getting catchy beats produced for them is cheaper than paying for real talent and catchy beats.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

It's all about ring tones now. CD revenue is down, but ringtone business is sick. They can cut a 20 second clip that pretty much encompasses the song and sell it for $1 dollar. I would guess that is pretty close to 80% profit minimum, no real costs involved. Software editing and setting up for download and that is about it.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

It's all about ring tones now. CD revenue is down, but ringtone business is sick. They can cut a 20 second clip that pretty much encompasses the song and sell it for $1 dollar. I would guess that is pretty close to 80% profit minimum, no real costs involved. Software editing and setting up for download and that is about it.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:It's all about ring tones now. CD revenue is down, but ringtone business is sick. They can cut a 20 second clip that pretty much encompasses the song and sell it for $1 dollar. I would guess that is pretty close to 80% profit minimum, no real costs involved. Software editing and setting up for download and that is about it.
Very good point, that too.

The entertainment industry only has itself to blame for their loss of profits and the increase in piracy.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

It's been a long day and I hate the fucking Eagles, man!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Syenye wrote:Red Hot Chili Peppers

what!?

Just for that you have to sing RHCP Dani California in Rock Band 3X's!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:

what!?

Suck My Kiss on Guitar Hero 3 is a much better example of why RHCP rocks!
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

Winnow wrote:

what!?

I had no beef with them until "Aeroplane" was released. Fuck you, RHCP.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Syenye wrote:
Wipe that song from your mind! Every band gets one free pass for a bad song!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Syenye wrote:
Winnow wrote:

what!?

You should blame Dave Navvaro. They actually don't play this song anymore, and Frusciante claims to never have heard it.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

Aardor wrote:You should blame Dave Navvaro. They actually don't play this song anymore, and Frusciante claims to never have heard it.
I do blame Navarro, for that and so many more of my childhood problems. "Otherside" came on the radio today, and I tried giving it an honest listen, but meh.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

fly my airplane
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

"Scar Tissue" was on XM today. I hate that too.