A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVe...

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVe...

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

... was a disappointment, to me anyways.

The majority of the tracks seemed more or less like noise instead of music ( nearly an entire album of "filler" tracks and poor covers ). While I enjoyed Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step, I wouldn't really recommend this one. I'll keep my hopes for the upcoming Tool album.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Majorly. I am so pissed. I heard they went all anti-war before I bought it. But, I didn't care. I figured I would look past that and enjoy the best damn music. Apart from the Imagine remake....the CD just blows. It bares no resemblance to the first two albums any of Maynards previous work.

I honestly haven't felt this disappointed in a long time. I hope the next TOOL album redeems my faith in Maynard.
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

Just when is the next Tool album coming out?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Burke wrote:Just when is the next Tool album coming out?
At this point, no one knows if Maynard is going to get away from this feminine phase he is in right now. It appears he is completely caught up in this APC band right now. Which was fine until eMOTIVe. I dunno Burke. I dunno. /cry
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

The CD grows on you.

And if you think about it, it lacks what Mer De Noms and Thirteenth Step had because Maynard didn't write the songs.

Maynard's genius is what makes both bands so great, imo. The band themselves are good, but if they had a different singer / songwriter they wouldn't half of what they are.

"Passive" is an amazing song from eMotive, and I'm pretty sure Maynard wrote that one. "Imagine" is good, "When the Levy Breaks" is also pretty good. There's a few others, basically the only ones I skip past are "Gimme Gimme Gimme" and "Let's Have a War"
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Bren
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Bren »

I like this album a lot actually because it IS different than the previous two...i like all the noises and the fillers....its got some ear candy for sure...

rumor has it the new TOOL comes out next spring... :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Maynard isnt in a phase I don't think. He is a very strange person, and is a bit on the activist side if you read about him on the tool site in the newsletter and such. He believes in some really odd shit politically, religiously, and in other aspects of life. So to hear something strange like this from him didn't suprise me much. I am confident the tool cd will be back to it's greatness though, they have been getting a little more mellow, but not APC mellow or anything.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

What "odd" beliefs?

The point of his genius is that they are in fact intelligent ideas, which I suppose may seem odd to 'some'.

I am amazed you can appreciate Tool with some of your beliefs Mid, their lyrics tend to contradict about 99% of what you say here, but I am happy we apparantly have one thing in common.

Tool are amazing. APC are a bit flowery, although I liked Mer De Noms I found Thirteenth step to be a bit self defecating, which may accurately represent how one may feel when singing about what he is singing about, but it just sounds a bit crap.

I was all for this album eMotive to maybe swing a few heads with it's musical ideas and message, but it seems to have (rightfly or wrongly) sunk on it's ass. Over here anyway.

Do many people in the US like Tool? I know over here few people have even heard of them (the cretins) and even some of those that do often assume they are of the same crowd as Korn and Linkin Park (the feckless retards that they are).

<3 tool (Aenima especially).

MORE TOOL PLEASE!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Teenybloke wrote:Tool are amazing. APC are a bit flowery, although I liked Mer De Noms I found Thirteenth step to be a bit self defecating, which may accurately represent how one may feel when singing about what he is singing about, but it just sounds a bit crap.
Not to be a spelling nazi but I think it's self-deprecating. Not defecating!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

def·e·cate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (df-kt)
v. def·e·cat·ed, def·e·cat·ing, def·e·cates
v. intr.
To void feces from the bowels.
I.E voiding their own feaces over themselves.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

LOL I know about the word defecate. But the phrase is self-deprecating.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

me is teh tard =/
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Listened to that song "Passive". it rocks :)
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

yes, yes it does.

Tool is pretty big here in the US, (at least in New York) but definitely not a mainstream band.

Most of the abercombie kiddies (majority of the population now) have never heard of them.

Huge with the goth crowd, which is kinda sad because it tends to categorize the band as "Goth music".

Oh well.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

If most of the people over here listened to Tool they would have a fit. I don't think they may even have the cognitive capacity for it.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I personally enjoy the album, but then I'm a fan of covers and of APC so maybe I'm biased. I love to hear songs in a new light.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Ok, after listening to the album a few times, I just don't understand how someone who likes Maynard's work can't like this? I think the message of the album is clouding some peoples judgements. He makes the songs he covers his own while still maintaining the spirit of them. The original ones are his usual brilliance. Oh well.

Oh, and I <3 Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm glad you like it. I am a major Tool and APC fan, but this album is in no way close to the musical quality or similar to previous Tool or APC stuff.

Fiddle and the Drum and Imagine are killer ass songs though.

With any other band hacing 2 songs I really like is normal, but TOOL and APC is supposed to put out albums with maybe 1-2 songs I don't like.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVe...

Post by Tyek »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55jxHrpWSVE

A new band from Billy Howerdel of APC

Album comes out next week.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVe...

Post by Nick »

Hopefully it will be better than that piece of crap Maynard released recently. I hope to god Tool come up with something special soon.