Baseball - Weeee!

What do you think about the sports world?
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Baseball - Weeee!

Post by Trek »

I know most of you hate baseball and want to jack up this thread, but im going to talk about baseball anyway....

Actually just going to talk about the Dodgers and how they are going to dominate the West this year. The Dodgers can probably withstand 3-4 injuries and still win their division, not so much because the division sucks as most every other division's fans in baseball like to claim, but because they are very deep. They have a rotation that is among the top with

Penny
Lowe
Billingsley
Kuroda
Kuo/Schmidt/Loaiza

That is without even talking about up comming stars like Kershaw who is a top rated prospect ect.

Their offense will be a huge upgrade over last season:

Furcal - SS
MArtin - C
Loney - 1b
Jones - CF
Kemp - RF
Kent/Abreu - 2b
Etheir/Pierre - LF
Laroche/Garciaparra - 3b

We will have some great players even on the bench for pinch hits/steals/injuries ect.

If worst comes to worst LA has some of the most sought after youngsters that they could move if they need to. But right now, I dont think they need to. Col/Az/SD will fight for a wildcard with SD falling off at the end of the season and SF will give teams fits with their rotation but just will not have enough offense to make it to the post season where their rotation could take em far.

NL West standings:
LA
Az
Col
SD
SF

you heard it here first!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Baseball - Weeee!

Post by Winnow »

Arizona won the division last year and they've improved their pitching even more this year. Looks like LA was eight games back.

Colorado is the only possible stumbling block for the D-Backs!

Randy Johnson is an unknown factor but can only help as he was out most of last year but pitched well before hitting IR and Dan Haren from Oakland has been added to the rotation. Brandon Webb owns you.

All of the young talent is back that made the D-Backs West runner ups to the World Series and they'll only be better with another year of maturity.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote: they'll only be better with another year of maturity.

Yeah, LA's youngsters will improve and wont finish 8 games back of AZ, I will be suprised if LA isnt in first after the 1st month of the season.
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Unless Arizona can start to score runs they won't win as many games this year as they did last year. Pythag's a bitch, and a return to the mean is in order.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I can't see a 88 win team out of the NL West.
en kærlighed småkager
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Trek wrote: Their offense will be a huge upgrade over last season:

Furcal - SS
MArtin - C
Loney - 1b
Jones - CF
Kemp - RF
Kent/Abreu - 2b
Etheir/Pierre - LF
Laroche/Garciaparra - 3b
Everyone, except Andruw Jones, was with the team last year. He was swinging for the fences the last season with the Braves and his average shows it (.222 in 2007). Granted, he has the CF skills to get a few more gold gloves, but he needs to regain the power and patience at the plate.

Someone you forgot to mention was Torre. We'll soon see whether or not he has actual management skills or if his time with the Yankees was all just a product of Steinbrenner buying up talent. The Dodgers seem to be a team with lots of vets, and that may mean a higher risk of injury.

I'm sticking with the Rockies, even though the D'Backs look like the team to beat in the West. I'm hoping that Tulowitzki can keep up his amazing performance last year (should have won the Gold Glove and RoY), and Holiday can keep producing those clutch hits. Our rotation isn't as good, anchored by Cook and Francis. We have two very young pitchers (Morales and Jimenez) who showed amazing poise at the end of the season & post-season, as well as having two great closers, Fuentes and Corpas. I was saddened they didn't trade Fuentes, especially after the meltdown that cost him his closer role. There's going to be a fun battle to see who will be the starting 2B after Matsui left. I think there will be 4-5 potential for the spot, including Marcus Giles. I'm still disappointed that we signed Yorvit for WAY too much money considering he has such an awful throw-out rating, but hoping he can develop our young (Latino) pitchers.

Just got my tickets yesteday, and I'm excited for the season to start. :D
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Tigers will win it all. Finally.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm calling huge bust on Andrew Jones. I think he's washed up and under performs.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'm just glad he is no longer tracking down fly balls in Atlanta. Dude has some serious range--never seen a center fielder play so shallow.
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm looking forward to the Phillies this year.

The offense should be productive again. The Phillies had two guys last year-- Aaron Rowand and Jimmy Rollins-- playing well above their career averages. Rowand is gone, and Rollins probably won't quite match his production from last year. Rowand's bat looks like it'll be replaced by a combination of Geoff Jenkins with a little bit of So Taguchi. We also got that Feliz dude from San Fransisco to solidify third base, and Ryan Howard and Chase Utley might both be more productive this year than last.

Brad Lidge is really a key this year. If he can close effectively, then Brett Myers stays in the rotation and the entire staff improves. If he implodes, they're in trouble.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Xyphir wrote: Everyone, except Andruw Jones, was with the team last year. He was swinging for the fences the last season with the Braves and his average shows it (.222 in 2007). Granted, he has the CF skills to get a few more gold gloves, but he needs to regain the power and patience at the plate.

Someone you forgot to mention was Torre. We'll soon see whether or not he has actual management skills or if his time with the Yankees was all just a product of Steinbrenner buying up talent. The Dodgers seem to be a team with lots of vets, and that may mean a higher risk of injury.
Actually They have 1 projected starter (Kent) who is over 30, Jones and Pierre are 30. Most everyone in the field is mid 20's or 23/24. Even with Kent, LA has 2 guys ready to play 2b that probably bring more (defensively for sure) then Kent does at this point. Nomar is going to platoon with LaRoche at 3b, so I dont consider him a starter and Pierre is going to fight with Ethier for LF so he might not even start. Even if Jones swings for the fences again this year (which is doubtful under the new coaching staff) he will most likely get 100 RBI with the guys in front of him. This LA club has some good OBP guys and very nice overall team speed.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Trek wrote:
Xyphir wrote: Everyone, except Andruw Jones, was with the team last year. He was swinging for the fences the last season with the Braves and his average shows it (.222 in 2007). Granted, he has the CF skills to get a few more gold gloves, but he needs to regain the power and patience at the plate.

Actually They have 1 projected starter (Kent) who is over 30, Jones and Pierre are 30. Most everyone in the field is mid 20's or 23/24. Even with Kent, LA has 2 guys ready to play 2b that probably bring more (defensively for sure) then Kent does at this point. Nomar is going to platoon with LaRoche at 3b, so I dont consider him a starter and Pierre is going to fight with Ethier for LF so he might not even start. Even if Jones swings for the fences again this year (which is doubtful under the new coaching staff) he will most likely get 100 RBI with the guys in front of him. This LA club has some good OBP guys and very nice overall team speed.

Just a quick glance over the Rockies roster.....looks like their starters are going to be a few years older then LA :lol:
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I didn't say the Dodgers were old, just that they were vets.

Furcal - MLB Debut: 04/04/2000
Nomar - MLB Debut: 08/31/1996
Andruw - MLB Debut: 08/15/1996
Kent - MLB Debut: 04/12/1992
Pierre - MLB Debut: 08/07/2000

Schmidt - MLB Debut: 04/28/1995

As far as the age of the Rockies position players, Helton brings us up considerably. The starters will likely be Francis (27), Cook (29), Jimenez (24), Morales (24), and Hirsh (26, Happy B-Day!). The average age of those guys is 26. Our closer, Corpas is 25. Our middle relievers and set-up guys are crusty though... Fuentes (32), Vicaiano (33).

Penny - 30
Lowe - 35
Billingsley - 24
Kuroda - 32
Kuo/Schmidt/Loaiza - 27/35/37
Average Age = 31.4
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

We shall see. I could be way off as I thought the LA Kings would be pretty good this year and they are in last. That really doesnt happen often tho, I usually win lots of $$$ with baseball, football and hockey.

Goooooooo DODGERS!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Dodgers avg age (position guys) is 27, Kent at 39 brings it up a bit. I dont think thats bad at all especially since we have guys ready to fill the holes of some of the geezers
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Jones has the reputation to win a few more gold gloves. Skill? Not anymore.

I seem to remember a thread very similar to this last year.
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Sueven wrote:I'm looking forward to the Phillies this year.

The offense should be productive again. The Phillies had two guys last year-- Aaron Rowand and Jimmy Rollins-- playing well above their career averages. Rowand is gone, and Rollins probably won't quite match his production from last year. Rowand's bat looks like it'll be replaced by a combination of Geoff Jenkins with a little bit of So Taguchi. We also got that Feliz dude from San Fransisco to solidify third base, and Ryan Howard and Chase Utley might both be more productive this year than last.

Brad Lidge is really a key this year. If he can close effectively, then Brett Myers stays in the rotation and the entire staff improves. If he implodes, they're in trouble.
Feliz has a good glove, that's for sure. But be ready for a whole lot of "with a man on second, no out, Feliz grounds out to short."
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Trek wrote:... we have guys ready to fill the holes of some of the geezers
:lol:
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Vetiria wrote:Jones has the reputation to win a few more gold gloves. Skill? Not anymore.

I am not sure what this means, he lost the skill to get a gold glove since last season? Or did someone else win it last year?
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Gold glove is, unfortunately, not an award based entirely on merit. It's kind of like the Pro-Bowl for offensive linemen... once you get in it's hard to get you out. Damn sports writers.
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I understand that, but with a .995 f% one could argue that 3 errors in 400+ chances is actually worthy of a GG. I havent really looked around at all the fielding stats for CF in the NL, could you point me at all the guys more deserving for the GG
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Trek wrote:I understand that, but with a .995 f% one could argue that 3 errors in 400+ chances is actually worthy of a GG. I havent really looked around at all the fielding stats for CF in the NL, could you point me at all the guys more deserving for the GG

Its not like im expecting Jones or Kuroda to play out their ass, history says huge FA deals in Dodgerland dont work out. But Jones in CF if a huge upgrade over Pierre, as is Kuroda over guys like Bomko. Plus I will enjoy watching Kemp have a full season instead of watching Gonzo in RF.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Trek wrote:
Vetiria wrote:Jones has the reputation to win a few more gold gloves. Skill? Not anymore.

I am not sure what this means, he lost the skill to get a gold glove since last season? Or did someone else win it last year?
He didn't deserve it last year either. Jones's range has decreased significantly over the last few years. Pierre has no arm, but he would get to a lot more balls than Jones.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Animale wrote:Feliz has a good glove, that's for sure. But be ready for a whole lot of "with a man on second, no out, Feliz grounds out to short."
Yeah, I'm prepared for it. Still, he's a big upgrade over what we did have at third base for the past few years. I'll be really happy if he can stay healthy, play defense, and produce decently at the 7 or 8 spot in the batting order.
Trek wrote:I understand that, but with a .995 f% one could argue that 3 errors in 400+ chances is actually worthy of a GG.
Fielding percentage is not really a huge deal for outfielders... there's not many major league outfielders who have trouble holding on to the balls that they reach. Range is a lot more important, as is positioning, arm strength, decision-making, and so on.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Jones being ousted from Atlanta is 2 years overdue. They truly fucked up by not sending him packing when he was in the midst of his career year and getting major value in return. I believe I posted that on here somewhere at the time. The good thing is, Atlanta is being completely discounted as a contender this year. The fact is we lost the division by losing to the fucking Reds 5 times more than we should have.

This year, we return a lineup that will have Chipper and Texiera all year, Kotsay coming from Oakland, and a slew of younger speedier players than we have seen there since the early 90's. I also see a great mix of pitching with some veterans and some young guys with great stuff. With Smoltz, Hudson, Glavine at the top of the rotation and Jurrjens, James, Hampton, Reyes all battling for 2 spots, we should be deep in starters. We also have the returning #3 bullpen returnign with even more depth.Once Gonzalez gets back, we will have 3 quality closing candidates. All I am hoping is that the Mets lose Santana and Pedro to injuries so we can point an dlaugh at them again.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

True. Atlanta is being overlooked as contenders, but not by the Phils or Mets. The Mets especially know all about Atlanta (especially @ Turner). I predict another 3-team race. You are certainly correct about pitching depth.

I think offensively (lineup, not home field) the Mets have the deepest lineup (barring injury). Of course, it will indeed require Delgado to come back from his horrid 2007 as well as having Alou play in 140+ games(yeah, unlikely).

1. Reyes
2. Castillo
3. Wright
4. Beltran
5. Alou
6. Delgado
7. Church
8. Scneider

Bench:

Anderson
Eisley
Castro
Chavez
etc...

Rotation:

1. Santana
2. Martinez
3. Maine
4. Perez
5. Hernandez/Pelfrey

Pen:

Heilman
Sanchez
Wagner

Can't win anything in February/March though! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I look forward to facing Tom Glavine as many times as possible. After the great work he did for the Phillies last year, I'm confident we'll see more of the same this season.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It wasn't Tommy, it was just the Mets! The Phillies worked them over all season. It really sucked to watch. =/

I believe the Phils are at Shea for the home opener this season....talk about getting the rivalry going quick, eh?
en kærlighed småkager
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Vetiria wrote:
Trek wrote:

He didn't deserve it last year either. Jones's range has decreased significantly over the last few years. Pierre has no arm, but he would get to a lot more balls than Jones.

Ok who does deserve it? I can think of maybe 1 guy, Rowand. But c'mon where is the list of guys that should get the GG over Jones?
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I like the Braves this season as well, I almost put some money on them.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Last year alone, Rowand, Victorino, Franceour, Beltran, and even Austin Kearns had an argument over Jones.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Vetiria wrote:Last year alone, Rowand, Victorino, Franceour, Beltran, and even Austin Kearns had an argument over Jones.
Rowand, 4less putouts, 8 more assists same amount of errors, I would give him the nod.

Victorino, 2 less errors in 1300 less innings in CF, a solid couple of games in CF but not a CF GG candidate (unless im missing the guy you mean)

Francoeur, Another guy who has 2 less errors in CF.......yet did not play a listed inning in CF

Beltran, 2 more errors in 120 less innnings played, 3 more assists. I would still pick Jones over him for a GG

Kearns, He did pretty good in his 22 innings in CF I suppose.

Really, Rowand is the only guy on your list that I could argue deserves a GG in CF. 3 of the guys you listed might be good in other outfield positions, but really need to play a season in CF to really get a idea if they can handle it. You can only earn a GG at a position you play a significant amount of innings at. Sure you can swap outfielders around, but good ones at each position tend to stay there
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Gold Gloves for Outfield are not given for each outfield position, just Outfield. Both Carlos Beltran and Aaron Rowand, who also won gold gloves, are both center fielders. And Jeff Francoeur WON the gold glove this year in a tie for third place with Rowand, which was a first.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Ah that makes sense then, I stand corrected. So there where 4 GG awards for the outfield and Jones was one of them. I guess I will give up the arguement and just agree that Jones is probably one of the worst CF in the NL. You guys win

Still glad he is in CF for LA
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Trek wrote:I guess I will give up the arguement and just agree that Jones is probably one of the worst CF in the NL. You guys win
Good job summarizing my point because that is exactly what I was saying.

I'd rather have him in Chicago than running Felix Pie out there, but for $18 million a year, you can have him.