Gluten-free recipes

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Gluten-free recipes

Post by Sabek »

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This is basically an autoimmune disorder where your body attacks your small intestines if you eat wheat gluten. So anything with wheat, barley, and rye are off the menu.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any good gluten-free recipes. I am surviving on Chipotle Burrito bols at the moment but at some point I will need something else. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Gluten-free recipes

Post by Zamtuk »

First off, no, you can live off of Chipotle forever. Trust me. (half chicken half steak fajita burrito ftw)

Secondly, unless you are Italian, you are pretty easy to cater to. To enjoy all of your old favorites, go to Sunflower Market (there are a few around Columbus, so shouldn't be too hard). That is like the Celiac superstore. As for recipes, in all honesty, you don't really need to change it up that much. Just switch out pasta, flour and/or bread for the stuff you buy at Sunflower Market and you should be all good.

Good luck going into restaurants, although many have gluten free menu's now.
Fuck Michigan!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

My father doesn't have Celiacs, but he does have a gluten allergy and has been on a gluten-free diet for at least 15 years. It used to be near impossible to find anything bread-like gluten-free, but the last couple years we've seen an explosion in gluten-free products. These days you can make pretty much anything using gluten-free mixes and other products. The days of really creative substitutions are over.

My father used to write/call companies to bitch about "modified food starch" on labels, because it could be starch from glutinous grains. A few years back he started to notice that more companies were starting to specify sources (wheat, rice, etc).

He still has problems at restaurants. The average 20 year old waiter does not know that flour is made from wheat! I can't tell you how many times a waiter/waitress has come back from the kitchen and said "The cook said no, theres no wheat in the dish. The chicken is just lightly floured and seasoned." Then would start the "What type of flour" nightmare that left the waiter baffled and running back to the kitchen to consult with probably an equally baffled cook (I can only imagine how that went lol). In the end the waiter would finally learn, after 20 something years of existence, that flour is made of wheat (well the flour that is most commonly used) and that there are different types of flour out there!

Mention "gluten" at your average restaurant and you're wasting your time....or sure to be entertained by the stupidy of your average person.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Just reminds me of Death To Smoochy where Ed Norton is eating those nasty looking hot dogs with black shit on them :(

No I don't have anything of value to add, I'm sorry :(
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Lalanae wrote:My father doesn't have Celiacs, but he does have a gluten allergy and has been on a gluten-free diet for at least 15 years. It used to be near impossible to find anything bread-like gluten-free, but the last couple years we've seen an explosion in gluten-free products. These days you can make pretty much anything using gluten-free mixes and other products. The days of really creative substitutions are over.

My father used to write/call companies to bitch about "modified food starch" on labels, because it could be starch from glutinous grains. A few years back he started to notice that more companies were starting to specify sources (wheat, rice, etc).

He still has problems at restaurants. The average 20 year old waiter does not know that flour is made from wheat! I can't tell you how many times a waiter/waitress has come back from the kitchen and said "The cook said no, theres no wheat in the dish. The chicken is just lightly floured and seasoned." Then would start the "What type of flour" nightmare that left the waiter baffled and running back to the kitchen to consult with probably an equally baffled cook (I can only imagine how that went lol). In the end the waiter would finally learn, after 20 something years of existence, that flour is made of wheat (well the flour that is most commonly used) and that there are different types of flour out there!

Mention "gluten" at your average restaurant and you're wasting your time....or sure to be entertained by the stupidy of your average person.
I was talking to a cashier at Noodles & Co, a supposedly gluten-free friendly place, and asked her if a given dish was gluten-free and she told me how many calories it had. :(
Sabek
Just Sabek
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

ROFL
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Sabek wrote:I was talking to a cashier at Noodles & Co, a supposedly gluten-free friendly place, and asked her if a given dish was gluten-free and she told me how many calories it had. :(
I fucking love Noodles & Co.
Fuck Michigan!